Marking your P3 for registration purposes

I would make a label with the FAA issued number. That way if you sell the unit just remove the label. Using the Serial number ties that number to you. Not sure how you would disassociate your name from the serial number in the FAA database
Exactly correct and the FAA recommends exactly that!

Why should this be allowed? Everybody should be alarmed. How would you like it if somebody can just run your car license plate and find out where you live? This is exactly the same thing. Don't register!
Your info will not be made public, because your info is obtained using an online system it will not be made public, even if through a FOIA request.

I use a Brother label maker on all my gear to show my name, phone number and AMA number so it will be no problem making a another label with just the FAA number instead. I'm just hoping some law enforcement types don't take it upon themselves to come over while I am flying to insist they see that my quad is correctly marked. Can you imagine the pain that would be.

I can see it now, "Routine stop here, please land your aircraft and show us your registration papers..." Any authority can be put to use beyond what it was intended to allow...
The law only requires you to show your registration certificate to law enforcement, not your marking, only the FAA has the authority to check for markings.

Keep in mind that the web site is not active yet, so specific (actual) requirements are not necessarily set just yet. The FAA document does not specify exactly if the Task Force recommendation was accepted as far as "...permanently affixed serial number.." is concerned. They only specify a "Unique" number. I agree with you about what they are saying on the website now about what you will provide, but it isn't unheard of for that to change either before the "go live" or even afterward.
Unfortunately the online system could not accommodate serial numbers or AMA numbers, but remember you can use the same number on all your devices!

Last edited by a moderator:
The law only requires you to show your registration certificate to law enforcement, not your marking, only the FAA has the authority to check for markings.
I understand that to be the case as well, but there will always be some Barney officer that will interpret the law as he sees it just as often as there will be some Goober drone operator that will do his best to make us look bad. Don't get me wrong, only a few will go too far, in either case, that's the problem, those on the extreme fringe right or wrong; not that anything can be done about either one, just saying... In my experience, most law enforcement are great people and the same goes for most RC hobbyists, who are just as responsible and law abiding.

Probably not a good idea posting your N number online. There a lot of drone-hating serial killers out there.

Well, first of all, the information is public, so I could make up a number to search on to see if I get a hit...

Second, you proved my first point. So go ahead and hack their database and change my info. If someone uses my number to crash a drone, it'll be hard to prove that I was at the crash area with my drone, especially after they see my "uncrashed" drone...

And now you know my information... hope you feel good about that... If anything happens to me or my drone we know the first place to look... :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
be careful of what you wish for. A drone-hating serial killer who found your drone that landed on his property might come knocking on your door. There no need for that. If you lost your drone good chance it crashed and is broken beyond repair.
I have name phone # e mail and reward if found even drone-hating serial killer s like money

Well, first of all, the information is public, so I could make up a number to search on to see if I get a hit...
So you enter a few random numbers and you get a hit, a drone registered to Joe Cloudhopper in Tyler, Texas. And you live in Rockland, Maine.
Doesn't seem to be a very workable plan to me.
The way I see it, unless I crash my drone, and some local, evil drone hater finds it and either; 1) Contacts the FAA, gets my name and address and fire bombs my house (or whatever drone haters do to their victims), or 2) Drone hater has a drone, puts my number on it and flies it into the Great Wheel or the Space Needle to attempt to frame me.

I'm not too worried. Haven't lost a drone yet, and I use a Trackimo on whichever drone I'm flying so if I do lose it, should be able to quickly recover it before a gang o'nefarious Drone Registration Thieves get their scheming little hands on it.

There are quite a few drone owners advertising their services or with websites talking all about themselves and their photography or mapping or agri business using drones. I haven't heard of any being attacked by the Drone Haters?

Several drone videos on YouTube where drone pilots use their real names - haven't heard of them being targeted either.
Much ado about nuthin'.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenjancef
And the way I see it... I think I do very well flying my Phantom... and it has an N Number, so if it does crash, I will be tracked/found. You shouldn't be flying ANYTHING if you are not willing to accept responsibility if something goes wrong.

I put my serial number from the FAA right on the aircraft exterior and it really looks "official". It impresses the clients and makes one a true professional in the minds of who you are doing work for.

Another thing is if you have multiple drones and/or other aircraft. Using the FAA issued number might make more sense in that case. In my case, I dont plan to have more than one or plan to ever sell my current P3A.

yea I thought that when I had got my P2V2 vision plus in January.
now a P1, P2V1, P3a, and P3P later its on craigslist with it twin the P2V1.
who would have thought last Christmas all that to follow?

hope they follow last year and wait until spring for the new one!

another good example of government, if one irresponsible person does something wrong we must punish everyone, like texting while driving, of course its irresponsible and now its against the law, see people do it all the time. RC craft is such a small community in comparison, just the amount of publicity in this shows a complete incompetence in government, in a world where every child is a winner than every idiot is the majority.

my 2 cents, what ever right, don't let them use fear to keep you from flying, almost every hobby I have has this element, Sport bikes /street bikes, Ham Radio, Guns, Rock Music. see the pattern...

I do believe that it seems folks that play in some of those hobbies seem to x train in many....
testing soon for Ham General, IT 250 in shed, Safe is full , and I still own real albums from 70's + or - a bit

now for that Sam adams!

Reactions: Donw35
"testing soon for Ham General", good luck on the Gen, you will do good, I have Amateur Extra

thanks!
long time Technician and just did a trial run through on a whim and remembered more than I thought!

Nice web site working on has questions and feedback and local group has class and test after 1st

Last edited:
Good afternoon all...I have a p3p that is already registered...the FAA will allow you to chose your own N number...you have to fill out the right forms, reserve the number you want (mine is "N" + last four digits of a/c serial #)...it costs $10 to reserve the number you want...and then $10 to assign the number to your a/c...as of last month...Displaying the N number on outside of the a/c was required...hope this helps...

Good afternoon all...I have a p3p that is already registered...the FAA will allow you to chose your own N number...you have to fill out the right forms, reserve the number you want (mine is "N" + last four digits of a/c serial #)...it costs $10 to reserve the number you want...and then $10 to assign the number to your a/c...as of last month...Displaying the N number on outside of the a/c was required...hope this helps...
This thread is about the new, non-commercial (not "N" number) registration markings.

Note: N numbers for aircraft and FAA pilots information has been available on the FAA website since it was created. Think of all the nefarious crimes that have occurred from that exposure? I can't think of any.

Reactions: kenjancef
Note: N numbers for aircraft and FAA pilots information has been available on the FAA website since it was created. Think of all the nefarious crimes that have occurred from that exposure? I can't think of any.

Come on the James Bond movies are full of bad guys flying airplanes with stolen N numbers. What you live under a rock? lol And they are like blowing up the planet and stuff!

So what is the end goal here, who enforces a no fly zone ? I don't mind registering but what happens next. put up "no drone zones" everywhere.
The "No Drone Zones" are already incorporated in your firmware. Your drone will be turned back by an invisible wall.

It seems like a nice flat area to mark your drone would be along the leg. I did it on mine with a label maker, which I do not recommend, but it seems like it will be a nice place for your numbers. You can see I also put a number on the body but with the curve I don't think it is going to hold up to long.

Eventually I will go in to a print shop and have numbers printed on industrial style tape. I just don't think these label maker stickers will hold up in the cold or humidity?

719F704C-AF85-4269-85EB-E0099E113B23_zpsikxa4pnc.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik