Map-Pilot - Unable to clear flight lines?

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Today I was doing a map run using MapsMadeEasy's Map-Pilot. I've used it dozens of times (maybe hundreds even) but today the app shut down mid-flight. The aircraft continued on it's way while I restarted the App. Upon restarting the App it showed the aircraft still flying the automated flight path but it didn't indicate it was taking any pictures. So I aborted the flight and returned the aircraft to the starting point.

At this time it would not let me re-start the flight or do anything but start a new one from scratch. I cleared the screen of the "current flight path" but it left very faint "flight path lines" on the screen that will not delete. I've closed and reclosed the app as well as rebooting the iPad (2x) and every time I pull it back up o MapPilot those thin faint flight path lines are still there.

Any suggestions?

Take 2 steps back and one to the left then shift your weight to your other foot then spin around 1 time northward and see if that fix's it when you reboot it ..
Your welcome..
Cheers.gif
;)

Reactions: BigAl07
Take 2 steps back and one to the left then shift your weight to your other foot then spin around 1 time northward and see if that fix's it when you reboot it ..
Your welcome..
View attachment 98580;)

That worked... NOT LOL! It did crack me up for sure :)

Reactions: dirkclod
5a707b9fca6361b715e07cecd630f6b8.jpg

That’s a screen shot of the thin yellow lines. Seems crazy it won’t let me delete them.

I tried to re-fly that same mission location and it would not let me create a new one over top of all that garble. I deleted the ap, reinstalled it (iOS) and it's all better now.

Reactions: dirkclod
I tried to re-fly that same mission location and it would not let me create a new one over top of all that garble. I deleted the ap, reinstalled it (iOS) and it's all better now.

MapsMadeEasy doesn’t have the most user friendly interface. From the main menu of the app, in the Settings, there is a toggle to “Show Nearby Cached Missions”. Turning this off should eliminate the layers of lines you are seeing. When you reinstalled the app you effectively cleared the cache.

When the app crashed (and they ALL do) you won’t be able to resume your flight. You can copy your flight and then modify your area to pick up approximately where you left off. If it is safe to do, I will make the flight plan “Connectionless” so it will continue if the app crashes. Some apps reconnect and some don’t on restart.

I have yet to find a mapping software that I liked for every situation. Maps, DroneDeploy, DJI GSPro, PrecisionFlight (when it worked) All have positives and negatives, and situations where one is more appropriate than another. In another post I’ll share my experiences with them. Love to hear from others in the forum about what does and doesn’t work for them in their work.

MapsMadeEasy doesn’t have the most user friendly interface. From the main menu of the app, in the Settings, there is a toggle to “Show Nearby Cached Missions”. Turning this off should eliminate the layers of lines you are seeing. When you reinstalled the app you effectively cleared the cache.

When the app crashed (and they ALL do) you won’t be able to resume your flight. You can copy your flight and then modify your area to pick up approximately where you left off. If it is safe to do, I will make the flight plan “Connectionless” so it will continue if the app crashes. Some apps reconnect and some don’t on restart.

I have yet to find a mapping software that I liked for every situation. Maps, DroneDeploy, DJI GSPro, PrecisionFlight (when it worked) All have positives and negatives, and situations where one is more appropriate than another. In another post I’ll share my experiences with them. Love to hear from others in the forum about what does and doesn’t work for them in their work.

Excellent information. Thanks for your input.

I have a question for you... I do Search & Rescue work in very rural area and yesterday I wanted to fly a new mission and I didn't have WiFi or cellular service. Are you aware of a way to do a flight to capture images for later stitching on this situation?

TIA for your help,
Allen

Excellent information. Thanks for your input.

I have a question for you... I do Search & Rescue work in very rural area and yesterday I wanted to fly a new mission and I didn't have WiFi or cellular service. Are you aware of a way to do a flight to capture images for later stitching on this situation?

TIA for your help,
Allen

As long as you create the flight plans before you leave for the site, you can use any mapping program you like to capture the images. DroneDeploy is the only exception since it requires you to log in to your account, and therefore would require a network connection. Unfortunately, the PrecisionFlight app quit working for me after the last DJI firmware update and I’m not sure the developer has updated it. You could cache the background maps in that app before leaving, to allow you to create flight plans onsite with no connection. The other apps will fly with no internet connection, but you might not see the background maps on location, which is why you need to preplan the flight.

On a related note; I use a free stitching program called PTGui to stitch check maps in the field to make sure I have an area covered. It won’t make an ortho map (it is designed for panoramas) but is a quick way to check for any holes in your image coverage.

As long as you create the flight plans before you leave for the site, you can use any mapping program you like to capture the images. DroneDeploy is the only exception since it requires you to log in to your account, and therefore would require a network connection. Unfortunately, the PrecisionFlight app quit working for me after the last DJI firmware update and I’m not sure the developer has updated it. You could cache the background maps in that app before leaving, to allow you to create flight plans onsite with no connection. The other apps will fly with no internet connection, but you might not see the background maps on location, which is why you need to preplan the flight.

On a related note; I use a free stitching program called PTGui to stitch check maps in the field to make sure I have an area covered. It won’t make an ortho map (it is designed for panoramas) but is a quick way to check for any holes in your image coverage.

Excellent! That's what I needed to know. I'll practice with these to get my process down solid. I've used PTGUI several times. I'll add it to my list of tools to utilize.

Thank you.

Excellent! That's what I needed to know. I'll practice with these to get my process down solid. I've used PTGUI several times. I'll add it to my list of tools to utilize.

Thank you.

Your very welcome. I’ll start a new Mapping thread tonight with my experiences with different flight control apps and weather situations. I’d love to get the community’s experiences in this area to help us all build a better knowledge base. At least a snapshot in time of what is working now.

Today I was doing a map run using MapsMadeEasy's Map-Pilot. I've used it dozens of times (maybe hundreds even) but today the app shut down mid-flight. The aircraft continued on it's way while I restarted the App. Upon restarting the App it showed the aircraft still flying the automated flight path but it didn't indicate it was taking any pictures. So I aborted the flight and returned the aircraft to the starting point.

At this time it would not let me re-start the flight or do anything but start a new one from scratch. I cleared the screen of the "current flight path" but it left very faint "flight path lines" on the screen that will not delete. I've closed and reclosed the app as well as rebooting the iPad (2x) and every time I pull it back up o MapPilot those thin faint flight path lines are still there.

Any suggestions?
Newbie here: MME is the least user-friendly software I have used so far. Got the same lines, tx 4 the fix. Is there a user manual or a true example of how to program a mission and fly it? I can't get MME do actually do anything.

Obvious question, but have you reviewed their online tutorials? I used MME in the photogrammetry portion of the STEM class that I taught this year and my high school students quickly figured out how to program and run missions. With MME's permission, each student then created their own accounts, uploaded their images and then downloaded the finished maps. In addition to the ortho photos, we also used the 3D maps to evaluated features of the school property that they had mapped. Using the MME product, they then generated contour maps in GQIS. Made for a pretty neat class activity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic