Reaction score
Maybe im just missing it in the instructions. I would like to make my P3 fly at 5 ft above the ground, NOT 5 ft above the starting elevation. Any suggestions would be nice.

I am under the impression that if you set it to hover at 200 ft that is 200 ft above it's otiginal take off point not the ground. So if you set it to fly at 5ft does it not make sense that it will fly the same 5ft above take off point? Or does the ground sensor work at this point?

I am under the impression that if you set it to hover at 200 ft that is 200 ft above it's otiginal take off point not the ground. So if you set it to fly at 5ft does it not make sense that it will fly the same 5ft above take off point? Or does the ground sensor work at this point?

It will maintain height above take off point.
If the terrain rises it will crash into it.

I'm curious how you plan on mapping from a 5 ft. elevation....[emoji848]
I am not. i am just confirming my thought without crashing my drone. Is there an option for it to follow the ground detection sensor @ like 8-10 ft. 10 being the max for the sensor

The equipment in our HOBBY drones are just that.. HOBBY grade and a best guess at best. When I pre-program my autonomous flights I use a "fudge factor" of at least 50' and that's me programming heights manually using google earth to determine elevation changes.

Some of the newer sUAS have better sensors that can help avoir terrain and obstacles but I don't know that any of them can maintain 5 AGL (as opposed to above take off point elevation).

Remember when the aircraft lifts off that was ZERO elevation and all computations are from that point on . . .

The equipment in our HOBBY drones are just that.. HOBBY grade and a best guess at best. When I pre-program my autonomous flights I use a "fudge factor" of at least 50' and that's me programming heights manually using google earth to determine elevation changes.

Some of the newer sUAS have better sensors that can help avoir terrain and obstacles but I don't know that any of them can maintain 5 AGL (as opposed to above take off point elevation).

Remember when the aircraft lifts off that was ZERO elevation and all computations are from that point on . . .
that was part of the info i needed. The long and short of it. I am a civil designer and i have a P3. I trying to find a way to use it to help us even if it is just to fly over an area and give us elevations so we can do concept work. But 10 ft from zero point just will not cut it. I thinking about removing ultrasonic and replacing it with a 140ft lidar but I have a feeling that the physical swap is just the start of when i would need to do to make it work. The great part is if i can find a use for this device I can talk the boss into getting a more mission oriented one.

There was an Intelligent Flight Mode, I believe it was on my Mavic Air, that allowed the DJI drone to track up a sloping hill. I believe the ground sensor helped it do this when flying a path into a rising elevation. On the other hand, when the elevation was falling, e.g. going down hill, the drone would not decrease it's altitude. I haven't seen the mode on my Mavic 2 Pro.

that was part of the info i needed. The long and short of it. I am a civil designer and i have a P3. I trying to find a way to use it to help us even if it is just to fly over an area and give us elevations so we can do concept work. But 10 ft from zero point just will not cut it. I thinking about removing ultrasonic and replacing it with a 140ft lidar but I have a feeling that the physical swap is just the start of when i would need to do to make it work. The great part is if i can find a use for this device I can talk the boss into getting a more mission oriented one.
Maybe this will help: 4 Steps for Making an Excellent 3D Model With a Drone

If you ever have a use case for terrain follow that does not involve such low and precise AGL, you can look into Litchi which has a mode for setting waypoints above ground level but it uses a terrain map and not sensors. You need to use a lot of waypoints over uneven terrain, must add elevation to clear trees and obstacles and then a fudge factor for inaccuracies in the terrain map and barometer. Clearly not for your (OP) stated us case but can be useful.

I just got the Mavic 2zoom and it has the option to follow terrain at a preset height

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20