Making better videography

Reaction score
I am not a good videographer. What are some ways to make my videos stand out and look good? I am an expert photographer. What are some movements to make my videos good?

I often have to put together a 10-minute video that highlights one of our projects and the fieldwork that is being done at the site. I'll toss in an orbit or partial orbit during the sequence to give the viewer a better sense of the general environment. It also helps to add in some backward straight-line flying as it suddenly reveals elements to the viewer that they didn't see coming. Long, slow flights tend to be boring, so I will either keep a slow flight segment short or I will speed up that flight in post-production. In addition, mixing high altitude footage (200-400ft) with low-level tree skimming footage makes for a more interesting video.

When it comes to music, the best use of a music score will be in the editing of the video footage in post production. A change in music tempo or emphasis should be reflected with a change in the video at that point. My favorite FREE post-production video editing software is DaVinci Resolve, which is a professional-grade video editing software. Lots to learn with it, but there are plenty of YouTube tutorials out there to help get you started. Wish I could post one of my videos as an example, but unfortunately they all fall under client confidentiality.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
That's great advice,'Mapmaker.'
Many pilots just go up to 4-500 feet , post the whole 10 min.video with some annoying music overlay, and have no idea viewers are clicking off in the first boring 30 seconds. If you watch a good YouTube video, each clip is only 1-2 seconds long. Generally the producer lets you know in the first 2 seconds what he wants to show you, maybe grab your interest with some quick shots of whats to come, and have a story, a start and finish to the whole mess. And if you want people to finish the video, keep it under 60 seconds.
A photographer of 30 years professional gave some good advice: " keep your ego out of your work, your supposed to be making the client look their best."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4