Maiden flight for my P3P today...

Reaction score
My P3P has been sitting on my desk for about 8/10 days now , while I was busy reading the FM, the forum and watching the videos, not that I was anxious about taking it in the air, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss anything new.
Installed the props, and take off ! This P3 is sooo much better than the P2! It is like day and night. Impressive stability, power, reactivity and is also quieter. (So quiet I couldn't here the props on the video afterwards... ;) )
Played a bit with the exposure, took pictures and video from the sky, which makes a big change from my P2+ Gopro...
But above all, this feeling of safety and stability, the quality of the FPV, that really helps to enjoy the flight rather than thinking to all the possibilities of crash.
Landed at 45%, put a new battery in and had fun again... My impression is DJI has come a long way since last year and the result is unbelievable!
I have not plugged it in the PC so far and no alerts about doing so yet. Nothing to do, RTF right out of the box..

Yep you'll find a lot of us feel the same way :) Congrats on your flight!

Thanks! Now I think I'm going to remove gimbal and camera from the P2 and practice in manual mode...:D

Yep, it is truly great :)

I'm at 96 flights (22hrs32mins, 187km distance) and it is great. Only minor glitches that - to me - is to be expected.

I'm new to this site. I am anxiously anticipating delivery of my P3P tomorrow. Been watching tons of videos and taking in everything I can. Some of the reports of problems here and crash reports I've seen on youtube have me a bit concerned, but none-the-less, I am nervously excited about it! Any tips for the beginner??

Beginner tips:

-Spin the props on the right way and silver/silver and black/black
-Inspect the craft and bolt holes for damage
-make sure everything is fully charged
-install DJI pilot or android app onto phone
-make sure battery is clicked in fully.
-have first flight in nice open space going further away each time
-don't be afraid of altitude. Altitude is your friend in FPV.

Reactions: MADrone and Bean
I'm new to this site. I am anxiously anticipating delivery of my P3P tomorrow. Been watching tons of videos and taking in everything I can. Some of the reports of problems here and crash reports I've seen on youtube have me a bit concerned, but none-the-less, I am nervously excited about it! Any tips for the beginner??

Don't worry too much about the crash reports. Most crashes are due to human error that's a fact.
Good tips from Sammynels.
Adding my recommendations for first timers:
Start slowly, the beginner mode is enabled by default and restricts you to go too high and too far too quick, and when you feel confident go for the full mode.
Make sure that your props are correctly tighten.
Do your compass dance religiously.
Check your screen for your levels of Sat, Battery, and the "safe to fly" green light
Take off from a patch of short grass for the first time (just in case it tips over)
Don't be shy on the trottle, push the stick frankly and release when you're at about 10 feet.
When landing, hover on your landing site, take your time, go down to a feet or so, and gently down to a few inches. When very close to the ground, pull the throttle all the way down and keep it
down until your props have stopped (or when you sure the engines are off).
Good Luck and have fun! :)

Reactions: MADrone and Bean
Beginner tips:

-Spin the props on the right way and silver/silver and black/black
-Inspect the craft and bolt holes for damage
-make sure everything is fully charged
-install DJI pilot or android app onto phone
-make sure battery is clicked in fully.
-have first flight in nice open space going further away each time
-don't be afraid of altitude. Altitude is your friend in FPV.

Take the props off carefully, with the metal tool. Try not to force the tool inbetween the motor teeth. I have found it'll slide in easily between some teeth but not others on the same motor.

I am convinced some of the cracking and hairline fractures people are reporting on their shells at the motor mounts are because people are man handing the arms torquing down their props. Just use your hands to put the props on, don't use the tool. I spin them on and then use two fingers to hold the metal hub teeth and the other hand to sinch up the prop just a little.

Use the tool only to take the props off and be light and gentle. With the tool you can just hold the metal motor hub in place and then rotate the prop off with the other. No need to touch the plastic arm at all.

Reactions: MADrone
My P3P ... My impression is DJI has come a long way since last year and the result is unbelievable!
I have not plugged it in the PC so far and no alerts about doing so yet. Nothing to do, RTF right out of the box..

Great thread sergekouper... :D

Any tips for the beginner??

Read, study, learn. The OP has been posting here for over a year. Read his first sentence.
When someone offers advice, get confirmation and strongly consider following the advice you've been given.

OPTION 2: Charge it up, go fly and post a bunch of crap like many of the new folks do.

? Why is "MAD" in your name? Most folks with mad in their name don't seem as friendly as the folks without.
Welcome to the forum anyway,
You may find some helpful stuff in my signature. :D

Again I must say "Great thread sergekouper" :):D:):D:)

Reactions: sergekouper

Read, study, learn. The OP has been posting here for over a year. Read his first sentence.
When someone offers advice, get confirmation and strongly consider following the advice you've been given.

OPTION 2: Charge it up, go fly and post a bunch of crap like many of the new folks do.

? Why is "MAD" in your name? Most folks with mad in their name don't seem as friendly as the folks without.

Thanks! ;)

Take the props off carefully, with the metal tool. Try not to force the tool inbetween the motor teeth. I have found it'll slide in easily between some teeth but not others on the same motor.

I am convinced some of the cracking and hairline fractures people are reporting on their shells at the motor mounts are because people are man handing the arms torquing down their props. Just use your hands to put the props on, don't use the tool. I spin them on and then use two fingers to hold the metal hub teeth and the other hand to sinch up the prop just a little.

Use the tool only to take the props off and be light and gentle. With the tool you can just hold the metal motor hub in place and then rotate the prop off with the other. No need to touch the plastic arm at all.

I agree with you there. I've seen quite a few videos of people manhandling the props both during installation for that final tightening twist. As well as on removal. That's got to be adding a lot of undo stress to those joints and playing at least some role in the cracking situation. Not that those joints couldn't have been made stronger in the first place so it didn't have to be an issue at all.

I too have had mine for just under a week now, sat on a desk, only removed to check the item when delivered, and the guards were in place

I'm slowly reading posts, asking advice (even though I am sure people laugh :rolleyes: ) looking at video's and reading peoples stories

I did go to the Livechat and spoke to someone called "William" who I asked

"Where can I find a detailed guide to the Pilot App please??"

The reply was a link to DJI Documents, and NONE were on the app itself, so that was a little disappointing, as I am struggling with all the features on this and as a noobie to this, I want to ensure I try to understand everything to help me, I dont want to crash, but I suppose its inevitable at some point.... but I would rather not :D

I too have had mine for just under a week now, sat on a desk, only removed to check the item when delivered, and the guards were in place

I'm slowly reading posts, asking advice (even though I am sure people laugh :rolleyes: ) looking at video's and reading peoples stories

I did go to the Livechat and spoke to someone called "William" who I asked

"Where can I find a detailed guide to the Pilot App please??"

The reply was a link to DJI Documents, and NONE were on the app itself, so that was a little disappointing, as I am struggling with all the features on this and as a noobie to this, I want to ensure I try to understand everything to help me, I dont want to crash, but I suppose its inevitable at some point.... but I would rather not :D

The user manual does talk about the app, but nothing in too much detail. You're better off watching one of the videos a user did going over all the different functions.

Don't worry too much about the crash reports. Most crashes are due to human error that's a fact.
Good tips from Sammynels.
Adding my recommendations for first timers:
Start slowly, the beginner mode is enabled by default and restricts you to go too high and too far too quick, and when you feel confident go for the full mode.
Make sure that your props are correctly tighten.
Do your compass dance religiously.
Check your screen for your levels of Sat, Battery, and the "safe to fly" green light
Take off from a patch of short grass for the first time (just in case it tips over)
Don't be shy on the trottle, push the stick frankly and release when you're at about 10 feet.
When landing, hover on your landing site, take your time, go down to a feet or so, and gently down to a few inches. When very close to the ground, pull the throttle all the way down and keep it
down until your props have stopped (or when you sure the engines are off).
Good Luck and have fun! :)
Thanks for the input...1st flight went well with the training wheels on!

Reactions: sergekouper

Thanks for your input! MAD are my initials...and hey, I'm friendly!. The flight went well and I loved it.

Reactions: IflyinWY
The user manual does talk about the app, but nothing in too much detail. You're better off watching one of the videos a user did going over all the different functions.
I too found great value on user videos on YouTube. Several walk you through the various screens and offer explanations, some very basic; however still useful for us beginners.

Yeah I have had a look at a couple, but still I feel that DJI has let us down slightly here, this is the main app you use on your chosen device, and yet there is no "Official" lets cover our app manual, which seems crazy to me

Maybe someone on the forums with lots of time on there hands can write a detailed one for us?

*he sits hoping"

LOL

Between the manuals, YouTube videos and the various forums, you pretty much can get all the info you need on the Phantom basics.
But to really learn and understand its intricacies, flying it, will be your guide. You just need to fly and enjoy the lessons, each flight teaches you.
It's a learning curve, but a lot of fun, doing something we enjoy, always makes learning easier, and more fun.
Don't be shy about asking questions and practicing what you learn.
Good Luck to all the New Phantom Pilots. We all had to begin some place, and you are off to a great beginning already. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20