Magnetic Fields and Meters

Reaction score
There's been a lot of discussion around the effect of magnetic fields and the possible impact is has on drone performance. So I recently downloaded an app that supposedly measures the magnetic field around you. The one I chose is reading in micro Teslas and uses a dial indicator to show the field strength. It uses a color gradient to show the levels but not sure how they determined what's low and high. S
o my question is does anyone have any experience using these tools and if there is a threshold level at which performance is affected. I would think this is difficult since the true cause for performance issue may be widely variable.
Comments and thoughts welcome!
Many thanks,
Allspice56

There's been a lot of discussion around the effect of magnetic fields and the possible impact is has on drone performance. So I recently downloaded an app that supposedly measures the magnetic field around you. The one I chose is reading in micro Teslas and uses a dial indicator to show the field strength. It uses a color gradient to show the levels but not sure how they determined what's low and high. S
So my question is does anyone have any experience using these tools and if there is a threshold level at which performance is affected. I would think this is difficult since the true cause for performance issue may be widely variable.
You're making things more complicated than they need to be.
Here are some simple rules that will 100% avoid any magnetic field issues:
  • Don't launch from or land on steel surfaces or reinforced concrete.
  • Stay 50 metres or more away from high voltage power lines.
  • If your compass is working fine (your Phantom flies straight and hovers in place without slowly spiraling), don't recalibrate it.

In addition to following @Meta4's excellent advice, note that the primary point of the magnetometer is to check whether you are in an area of variable magnetic field, i.e. the readings change as you move around. If so then definitely don't recalibrate and also realize that there is the possibility of unusual behavior, such as dropping out of P-GPS into ATTI, until the aircraft has ascended out of the region of distorted magnetic field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing