Exposure Value setting when on 'M' mode...

Reaction score
Forgive me if I missed finding a thread on this, but nothing turned up in the search function.

I was playing around with my camera settings on my P4P+ this evening, and noticed I'm unable to change the 'EV' (Exposure Value) setting when in 'M' (manual) mode. The control dial on the right front of the RC will, when pressed and in 'M' mode, highlight ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture, but not the EV settings. In the 'Auto' modes, I can change the EV number along with the other exposure settings.

My old photographer brain tells me that the programming of the camera settings is such that it uses shutter speed and/or aperture adjustments when in 'M' mode to adjust the exposure value...however, this can change the very nature of the image, as the depth of field, motion blur, etc., are all affected when adjusting the exposure in this manner. It makes sense (to me, anyway) to also be able to adjust the EV setting in 'M' mode.

Or, as I seem to be saying so often in my posts these days, am I missing something?? o_O

My old photographer brain tells me that the programming of the camera settings is such that it uses shutter speed and/or aperture adjustments when in 'M' mode to adjust the exposure value
...however, this can change the very nature of the image, as the depth of field, motion blur, etc., are all affected when adjusting the exposure in this manner. It makes sense (to me, anyway) to also be able to adjust the EV setting in 'M' mode.am I missing something?? o_O
In Manual Mode, the camera doesn't do anything to adjust the exposure value.
M mode is allowing you to choose the settings regardless of what the metering says.
If you are using one of the auto exposure modes and want to offset the exposure above or below what the meter says you can use the Exposure Offset function

But if you are using M mode, there is no metering value to offset.
You just adjust whichever parameter you want to as much as you want to.

Reactions: svjobeth
Ah...it is as I thought. I never really used EV functions in any of my work until I 'went digital.' Searching my memory, the first camera I remember having it were my Canon EOS 3 SLR film bodies.

It would be useful to have the option for EV setting on the P4P when shooting M mode, as most modern cameras do, including the Fuji mirrorless system I now shoot. Perhaps in a future firmware update...

In Manual Mode, the camera doesn't do anything to adjust the exposure value.
M mode is allowing you to choose the settings regardless of what the metering says.
If you are using one of the auto exposure modes and want to offset the exposure above or below what the meter says you can use the Exposure Offset function

But if you are using M mode, there is no metering value to offset.
You just adjust whichever parameter you want to as much as you want to.

Gidday Meta4,
As a professional photographer EV still allows you to override settings even in manual mode on a standard DSLR. I have a glitch that I'm struggling to resolve. My EV setting has somehow locked itself to +2!! and I can't find a way to set it back to zero. Any thoughts?

After writing that last message I thought about resetting the camera, which I've now done. The EV setting has now changed to +1.3 :mad: - so...this would surely mean that it is changeable in MM but somehow the system is controlling it.
If anyone knows how to change this please let me know ASAP! Got a project this morning and my client is gonna have my neck if I don't get it sorted

So... after more reading and playing with the settings what I've discovered is:
When in manual mode the EV setting is the system telling you that the image is over or under exposed, so yes, you have to manually change the Shutter, ISO and Aperture, which once the image is exposed correctly EV 0 , the system will modify the EV as you change the other settings... Odd and weird.

After writing that last message I thought about resetting the camera, which I've now done. The EV setting has now changed to +1.3 :mad: - so...this would surely mean that it is changeable in MM but somehow the system is controlling it.
If anyone knows how to change this please let me know ASAP! Got a project this morning and my client is gonna have my neck if I don't get it sorted
As a professional photographer you should know that the +1.3 value is simply the difference between the exposure that will be obtained by your current set ISO, TV and AV and the value determined my the camera metering as optimum.

Your client won’t be impressed with you using M mode. Lots of Professional photographers use AV mode without problems.

So... after more reading and playing with the settings what I've discovered is:
When in manual mode the EV setting is the system telling you that the image is over or under exposed, so yes, you have to manually change the Shutter, ISO and Aperture, which once the image is exposed correctly EV 0 , the system will modify the EV as you change the other settings... Odd and weird.

This isn’t weird at all. How else could you expect it to work?

Gidday Meta4,
As a professional photographer EV still allows you to override settings even in manual mode on a standard DSLR. I have a glitch that I'm struggling to resolve. My EV setting has somehow locked itself to +2!! and I can't find a way to set it back to zero. Any thoughts?
Do you want to rethink your comment about the DSLR?
In manual mode you set everything the way you want and it can be under or over-exposed.
If you want to dial in some exposure compensation to change the EV value that it's displaying, what's your camera going to do?
Is it going to adjust shutter, aperture or ISO?
And if you wanted manual control, wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the parameter you choose?

As a professional photographer you should know that the +1.3 value is simply the difference between the exposure that will be obtained by your current set ISO, TV and AV and the value determined my the camera metering as optimum.

Your client won’t be impressed with you using M mode. Lots of Professional photographers use AV mode without problems.

Gidday With the Birds,
You are quite right and I've cocked up. Should've thought about it more and actually pulled the camera out. I was rushing this morning and taking guesses (never used EV in manual mode, which I see creates AEB if used). How to fall flat on your face and make it worse by saying you're professional
Manual mode means I can control shutter speed at 1/50 to match the 25fps at F2.8 and ISO100 with an ND filter to suit. Locking exposure in makes video editing far easier than having it jump all over the place. I've tried using Av before, you can lock exposure, but you can't control shutter speed (Tv) to suit.

Do you want to rethink your comment about the DSLR?
In manual mode you set everything the way you want and it can be under or over-exposed.
If you want to dial in some exposure compensation to change the EV value that it's displaying, what's your camera going to do?
Is it going to adjust shutter, aperture or ISO?
And if you wanted manual control, wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the parameter you choose?

You are right Meta4,
I'm sorry, I should've slowed down and given it some thought.

Gidday With the Birds,
You are quite right and I've cocked up. Should've thought about it more and actually pulled the camera out. I was rushing this morning and taking guesses (never used EV in manual mode, which I see creates AEB if used). How to fall flat on your face and make it worse by saying you're professional
Manual mode means I can control shutter speed at 1/50 to match the 25fps at F2.8 and ISO100 with an ND filter to suit. Locking exposure in makes video editing far easier than having it jump all over the place. I've tried using Av before, you can lock exposure, but you can't control shutter speed (Tv) to suit.
Yes, manual mode is the only means available to maintain a constant EV when the scene brightness changes during a take. I pretty much always shoot in manual. For video I will use the histogram to set my TV and ISO so the highlights are just below clipping for the brightest camera orientation. Any darker scenes during the take will look naturally darker. The same for setting up a Pano, I will point the camera at the brightest area and dial in for that. The exception being if I’m shooting a sequence of bracketed images, obviously there I am after an average exposure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj