Lume Cubes: Worth Every Penny

Reaction score
Just got these bad boys up and running. Holy moly, these things are bright. 10 levels of brightness with varying duration -- I use 50% to get 2 hours and they are not just visible, but BRIGHT at over 2 miles. They look like landing lights of full-size aircraft or a helicopter search light - esp. when you crank them up to full power!

Just make sure you make sure they are screwed in really well the mount-- vibration can loosen them if they aren't tightened down well.

Ouch! Eighty bucks for a single light? Have you checked the many many variable LED light systems that would be usable for drones at www.banggood.com? Very cheap, Chinese stuff but no problems with the many purchases I have made.
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Yep they are pricey, no doubt about it. If I wasn't using them for photography and video making I probably wouldn't have done it. They also have Bluetooth control and multiple rate strobes which are very cool.

I've looked at many LED light systems at BangGood, FlyTron and Ebay and have quite a few different lights (both steady and strobe) I've tested. So far the ease of use, functionality,power and versatility of the LumeCubes make them the winner for steady burners. I'm slowly learning about modular LED systems: lights, controller and battery systems. I hope to design a really cool system in the near future.

What’s the use for those?
Extremely heavy reducing flight time
Better of with the strobon lights

I have the strobon as well, but at a distance the colors and positioning can get muddy -- the steady burning front lights really "mark" the front of the AC. They also make for some cool shots. I'm OK with the reduced flight time -- I have plenty of batteries. :)

I'm going for a "light" version of this setup (no pun intended!): Check out some of the lighting effects he able to get.. Very Close Encounters.

Last edited:
1510626556239.png

Might try these myself

Yeah, where did you get them?
Jim
WA5TEF
Hi ebay , i use on me p4 ,3 modes low and super bright or flash,can aim straight up into fronts blades which good effect,probly get few flights out of each batt(if remember to turn off)not sure on range but good at evening or cloudy days,seem to fly nice aswell,not really catch the wind
1510647546616-1365546695.jpg
15106471941091199337107.jpg

Reactions: Neon Euc
I have a set of Lume Cubes. Worth every dollar. Water proof, 1500 lumes each. I use them more of non aerial applications.

I have the Lume Cubes as well. The complainers might not realize that these aren't just "help me see my drone at night" lights, they project bright light and are therefore good for photography in low light / night.

By photography, I mean a) using the onboard camera, or b) capturing with a ground-based camera (DSLR on a tripod), using the drone with Lume Cubes to illuminate the subject (or paint with light).

You don't do any of that? Fine, get something lesser / cheaper.

I have strobons. They help you see your drone, but only for about a mile. They are NOTHING compared to the brightness of Lume Cubes, so comparisons between the two are folly.

However, your use many not require anything brighter than the strobon, and that of course is fine.

Chris

I have the strobon as well, but at a distance the colors and positioning can get muddy -- the steady burning front lights really "mark" the front of the AC. They also make for some cool shots. I'm OK with the reduced flight time -- I have plenty of batteries. :)

I'm going for a "light" version of this setup (no pun intended!): Check out some of the lighting effects he able to get.. Very Close Encounters.

Oh the fun that could be had with this setup. UFO sightings everwhere. Lol.

The lighting effect is very cool.

Just got these bad boys up and running. Holy moly, these things are bright. 10 levels of brightness with varying duration -- I use 50% to get 2 hours and they are not just visible, but BRIGHT at over 2 miles. They look like landing lights of full-size aircraft or a helicopter search light - esp. when you crank them up to full power!

Just make sure you make sure they are screwed in really well the mount-- vibration can loosen them if they aren't tightened down well.
Sweet! Did you get the two light kit with mounts? You'll have to post up some work with them.
I remember seeing his original video for the lighting rig he made and I almost made one myself for landscape light painting. Now you've got me contemplating it again.

There is nothing better than the lube cubes for overall brightness , however the aerodynamics of the cubes do catch the wind. Although these lights are not as bright, they do fit with the aerodynamics of the drone and are so easy to use. They charge USB and click on with a button, come with both the red and white or front and back, although I see no reason to use the Red when you have the Green lights on the battery so we are just using the white now in blinking mode. I will be making a video soon and post on Phantomrain.org as we are just waiting for the ice storm to come in now.. . They do the job or making the orientation a bit easier flying the drone from far away, and the wind does not play a factor. We are also testing if they can be used to shield the lens a bit more from the rain allowing us to increase the angle if needed. Wind is always a factor in flying and getting good footage so because of that , these provide a really good alternative. Will post a link on are site for the video of these after the storm.

We found them to be just perfect for night flying as well.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 6.14.53 PM.png

just bright enough to see in day light but the Black Eclipse Wet Suit is still best for Visual sight runs
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.24.13 AM.png

second.gif

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.24.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.24.13 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 352
I have the Lume Cubes as well. The complainers might not realize that these aren't just "help me see my drone at night" lights, they project bright light and are therefore good for photography in low light / night.

By photography, I mean a) using the onboard camera, or b) capturing with a ground-based camera (DSLR on a tripod), using the drone with Lume Cubes to illuminate the subject (or paint with light).

You don't do any of that? Fine, get something lesser / cheaper.

I have strobons. They help you see your drone, but only for about a mile. They are NOTHING compared to the brightness of Lume Cubes, so comparisons between the two are folly.

However, your use many not require anything brighter than the strobon, and that of course is fine.

Chris
I have the Strobon CREE stand alone strobe and I can see it as far as my drones can go . Also I have these lights and they fit great on my P4 and a little tight on my mavic . You'll never lose your drone again at night . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCPSQV3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj