Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered them yesterday too because of this conversation. @RedHotPoker I trust. I don't trust cheaply made, all in one flashing LED's.

Keep in mind the LumeCubes are stupid bright. 1500 Lumens will be the brightest lights in my home!

LumeCubes are used for seeing your bird far away yes, but mostly for lighting the area in front of your bird so you can still see with your camera.

Plus you can use LumeCubes for other stuff which is cool. Spotlighting, searching, rescuing.... Flash for your iPhone!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Congratulations bud, you won't be disappointed, & that's a personal guarantee, from me to you. Ah, and to all others that do get onboard.
Download the Pro app, & get your cubes registered, thereby making them unique to you.

I feel good about all this stuff, very good indeed... Haha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: TheLightSpeedz
These look a good, smaller alternative to the LumeCube. Obviously they're not as bright/well made but so much cheaper. One thing; I don't see the expected life on a full charge?

I think mine said 5 hours run time on a full charge? I use the white, red and green. I'm looking at the Lume Cubes for more light. Redhot, can you point the cubes straight out to the sides of your Phantom?

I'm sure many of you smart guys would be able to rig something up, to aim them directly out. I suppose that a small device could be easily made or 3D printed, that would thread onto the 1/4 20 mounting hole.
Yeah, something like a ball swivel arrangement. Makes sense, so I will put in a request, to see if something along those lines could be done, perhaps in a limited production run, even. But for right now, one forward, & slightly down, while the other cube is in reverse, facing to back and slightly pointed up. Lights a plenty, for my needs!

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, the cube isn't a strobe correct? It's constant on lights. That's cool but it's not a strobe, which I'm pretty sure is what the FAA is looking for in this in general. They definitely are pretty cool for certain applications. They're also pretty pricey too. This is more in line with what I'll be considering shortly-

DS-30--1 Drone Strobe
No mention on power draw. It's easy to make a bright strobe - just get a bigger battery. With little batteries, not so much. Basically the info on that product is useless and the price is pretty hefty.

Um yeah, no kidding. $50 USD, no thank you. Haha
That's crazy money...

RedHotPoker

I ordered the lumecube. I get 2 day shipping with my prime account. It will get here Tuesday. I will do revue.
80 dollars worth strobe on ,will give you 360 degrees of light. I think like 4 or 5 lights. Maybe not as bright as lumecube, but the cube may be to bright.
I'm left being not sure what you bought, lol.

Can someone please confirm for sure that once you set the cube to strobe it remains in that mode every time you turn it on with the cube buttons. I think an app to turn on strobe is dumb actually, but there you have it- another blue tooth app sucking the life outa my phone. I have battery slats on my bird full time for when I fly with extra batteries so I could work out something with that to accommodate the cube. Also if someone can confirm, with strobe on at night and the cube facing rear, does it effect video when airborne at a height where the ground doesn't come onto play? I don't need a light with these things. I need them to operate but with absolutely no light bleed into the video- no strobe flickering can trash the night video and because of that, any strobe for me may have to be on the top of the bird, not the sides.

Last edited:
No mention on power draw. It's easy to make a bright strobe - just get a bigger battery. With little batteries, not so much. Basically the info on that product is useless and the price is pretty hefty.
In faq's it says most people hook up a 9v battery with a case/switch. Not ideal but doable for me especially if it comes down to a switch to turn it on verses an app. Also, what battery is in a cube? Is it replaceable when it dies?

I have used strobe on strobes for a couple of years now ,[ Not the self powered ones ] And they are great for night . I put them on the rear of the landing legs with out any interference in my videos. Can be seen over a mile at night.
I have ordered the self powered ones, be about 3 weeks to get here.
Now I also ordered cube, and it will be here Tuesday. So I can check it out when it gets here.

"shockwave199, post: 929428,
member: 19654"]I'm left being not sure what you bought, lol.

Can someone please confirm for sure that once you set the cube to strobe it remains in that mode every time you turn it on with the cube buttons. I think an app to turn on strobe is dumb actually, but there you have it- another blue tooth app sucking the life outa my phone. I have battery slats on my bird full time for when I fly with extra batteries so I could work out something with that to accommodate the cube. Also if someone can confirm, with strobe on at night and the cube facing rear, does it effect video when airborne at a height where the ground doesn't come onto play? I don't need a light with these things. I need them to operate but with absolutely no light bleed into the video- no strobe flickering can trash the night video and because of that, any strobe for me may have to be on the top of the bird, not the sides.[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of video with the cube on a phantom but as usual, people are more enamored with full on lights at night than strobing for a navigation light.

So you have both and tested them side by side? These are not for spotlighting, but for seeing the craft in the air and orientation. They also do not anywhere near the weight of the lume cube. The lume cube is rediculiously over priced, it is a glorified flashlight. Amazom sells a $8 flashlight that is probably as bright or brighter than these $80 lume cube flashlights and they weigh a lot less. They can clip to the landing gear too.
But to each there own.

Really, these are just as bright. Hahaha I doubt it friend.
Lume Cubes are 1500 lumens at 6000 kelvin. Where does it rate these in the description below? I watched the short video, with no mention at all.

From their website:
Strobon Standalone is a good navigation strobe solution for enclosed drones like DJI Phantom, DJI Inspire, 3DR Solo, Walkera and others.

No cabling required. Just attact it to your drone or model airplane with your favorite glue or velcro, press the button to turn it ON. That's all.

Features

• 5 hours continuous operation with onboard battery.
  • Powerful 3W LED
  • No Cabling required
  • Easy to use single button interface.
  • On board battery status and charge indicator system.
  • Compatible with all 5V MicroUSB cables and chargers.(cable not included)
  • Contact Pads(L+ and L-) for the external LED support.
  • Battery with internal overcharge and discharge protection.

Usage
  • BATTERY STATUS: Press the button then release to learn battery status when it is OFF.
    (1 blink:Need Charge, 2 blink: It's OK, 3 blink: Fully Charged)

• ON/OFF: Press and hold the button for 3 seconds to turn ON or OFF

• CHARGE: Plug it to any micro USB charger or computer port when charging required.
    - The LED will blink with very short bursts when charging.
    - The LED will blink with 1 second ON / 2 seconds OFF pattern when the battery is fully charged.
    It takes 2 hours for empty batteries.
Notice: The battery includes it's own PCM module. This module protects the battery from overcharge and discharge for long lifespan. If there is no life sign on the circuit when you press the button, probably discharge protection has activated because of low battery voltage. Just charge it.

Specifications
  • Dimensions: 22mm x 18mm x 10mm
  • Weight: 4gr
  • Current Consumption: <15mA per hour
  • Charge Port: MicroUSB
  • Charge Current: 40mA max.
  • Charge Time: ~2 hours
  • Battery Type: 70mA LiPo Battery with safe and reliable PCM circuit.
I think you are obviously slightly mixed up. Unless you have documentation.
Please explain how you figured these are equally as bright? Thanks.
That's barely a keychain trinket.. No functionality, but a simple blinker, and a weak one at that. Haha
Lume Cubes have ten brightness settings, and even on low, would blow that simple LED out of the water...

RedHotPoker

You cant put the flash light on the P3. I have dune this and every time I get compass error in flight.
Not fun at night and 3000ft away.

QUOTE="HWCM, post: 929490, member: 61019"]So you have both and tested them side by side? These are not for spotlighting, but for seeing the craft in the air and orientation. They also do not anywhere near the weight of the lume cube. The lume cube is rediculiously over priced, it is a glorified flashlight. Amazom sells a $8 flashlight that is probably as bright or brighter than these $80 lume cube flashlights and they weigh a lot less. They can clip to the landing gear too.
But to each there own.[/QUOTE]

And I cant believe no one has video of this cube on a P3. I would like to see how you mount it.??
Did you try to look on YouTube? ;-) it's free you know!! Haha
True, Most vids show them on Phantom 4, but they do attach just exactly the same on a Phantom 3 Pro or Advanced model
The brackets are designed slightly different to fit the shape of the landing gear/legs is all.
There is also an Inspire1 kit available now too.

RedHotPoker

The FlyTron Leds are very well built. They are built for the purpose they are used for. I have had mine for several years, gotten them wet, crashed with them uncountable number of times and they still work. Not to mention they are less than $10. I bought some 20 degree lenses to put on top of the leds to focus them more. five of the lenses cost me $1.00. Give them a try they are very well built and I bet you will be impressed. Also, you can wire them together so they are in sync and flash together.

Yes, of course the settings stay put, once adjusted in the Pro App.
You mentioning Size makes me grin like a content Cheshire Cat.
The cube is 1 1/2" square. How much smaller do they need to be? Ha
Anyway, I have expended enough energy, to have delivered a free set to you by now, just iterating my thoughts and exerience with mine.
I get it, where the moderate price, hefty weight and multiusefulness are all thoughts that need addressing. But I am here to say, forget the weight, it's only negligible, we're still getting twenty minute flights, air time.
The lights can be adjusted forward, up, backwards or down, and any angle in between. The reflectivity is astounding, so you won't need an upper hemispherical dome lens. ;-)

Buy what ever suits your flight conditions best, & you like. As what ever makes you happy, is best. And if that means spending less for and inferior product, that's your God given privilege, and I hope you are satisfied with them. Ha
Eh, anyways, you can always get on board later with the ultimate, a Lume Cube package.

RedHotPoker

Well, I appreciate everyone hijacking my thread that was supposed to be about why is my P3 struggling with the weight of the Lume Cubes.

Back on topic, could my motors need to be replaced? how many hours do motors last? Maybe I'll take a short video and show you guys.

Reactions: qrandle
I have left one sitting on my table strobbing for over twelve hours. It was still going, but I was leaving for work and stopped it.

These look a good, smaller alternative to the LumeCube. Obviously they're not as bright/well made but so much cheaper. One thing; I don't see the expected life on a full charge?

You cant put the flash light on the P3. I have dune this and every time I get compass error in flight.

QUOTE="HWCM, post: 929490, member: 61019"]So you have both and tested them side by side? These are not for spotlighting, but for seeing the craft in the air and orientation. They also do not anywhere near the weight of the lume cube. The lume cube is rediculiously over priced, it is a glorified flashlight. Amazom sells a $8 flashlight that is probably as bright or brighter than these $80 lume cube flashlights and they weigh a lot less. They can clip to the landing gear too.
But to each there own.
[/QUOTE]
Really? Why do you think that happens? I wouldn't have thought that to be a problem. Interesting.

The lume cube is rediculiously over priced, it is a glorified flashlight.
I agree they are way overpriced but my opinion is that these were really for the photography crowd and of course photography gear is pricey. They retotrofitted it for drone use, it seems to me. I think for search and rescue these are just amazing. I would choose the cube in a minute for that. But for a simple strobe for aircraft orientation light, they could and in my opinion should design something more specific- smaller and light weight. But that's just my opinion. If it weren't so expensive for two cubes, which I believe is needed for proper balance for flight, I'd just buy the things and try them for myself and quit the questions and conjecture. But two of these is no impulse buy, so it makes it tougher to just buy them. If I do, you can bet I'll pass along my thoughts.

I have never had that problem when I do it. Maybe your flashlight has a magnet in it. The ones I use are the really cheap $8 ones on Amazon with like 8000 reviews. If you adjust the lens to spotlight, it is like a search light, sort of. Lol But I can see it in the air for what seems like miles.

But to each there own.
[/QUOTE]

You could build your own cheap search light for about $25. I have a 100 watt led search light I have built. It is insainly bright. But it is not suited for a quad as it uses a computer heat sink and fan and power inverter. But you can buy a 10W led and led driver and run it off of a small 2C lipo.
Really? Why do you think that happens? I wouldn't have thought that to be a problem. Interesting.

I agree they are way overpriced but my opinion is that these were really for the photography crowd and of course photography gear is pricey. They retotrofitted it for drone use, it seems to me. I think for search and rescue these are just amazing. I would choose the cube in a minute for that. But for a simple strobe for aircraft orientation light, they could and in my opinion should design something more specific- smaller and light weight. But that's just my opinion. If it weren't so expensive for two cubes, which I believe is needed for proper balance for flight, I'd just buy the things and try them for myself and quit the questions and conjecture. But two of these is no impulse buy, so it makes it tougher to just buy them. If I do, you can bet I'll pass along my thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Can someone please confirm for sure that once you set the cube to strobe it remains in that mode every time you turn it on with the cube buttons. I think an app to turn on strobe is dumb actually, but there you have it- another blue tooth app sucking the life outa my phone. I have battery slats on my bird full time for when I fly with extra batteries so I could work out something with that to accommodate the cube. Also if someone can confirm, with strobe on at night and the cube facing rear, does it effect video when airborne at a height where the ground doesn't come onto play? I don't need a light with these things. I need them to operate but with absolutely no light bleed into the video- no strobe flickering can trash the night video and because of that, any strobe for me may have to be on the top of the bird, not the sides.

The thing is, you do and will want the Pro app, because it gives the pilot complete control of them. There are numerous setting values that the two onboard buttons, don't access. In the app is a slide bar that controls intensity brightness and how you want the lights to function. It shows you connectivity value also remaining battery life. Here's an example, You can choose to set one of three different strobe modes, and not only on one of ten power settings but anywhere in between, like a dimmer switch. It shows you actual power percent from 1%~100%. I'm not sure why you would want to be recording video with a strobe light flickering, outside of a disco. ;-)
These lights were designed & manufactured mostly with photography in mind, so please use them wisely. But yes, they could be turned, in such a way, that the camera wouldn't notice them, while recording.
Ah, as far as battery life, in your phone, once the drone lifts off, remember you can now turn off the Pro app. The lights can run fine, independently. Just swipe if away...

Hope I have answered some of your more intriguing questions, well enough.

RedHotPoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik