Luck & Skill vPlus

Reaction score
Mostly luck but some skill in saving my vPlus from bouncing off the ground about a week ago. During the 1st part of March my middle name became Beta Tester cause that's all I was doing until a week ago after my quad did actually bounce off the roof of my house later the same night after the flight seen in this video.

Probably the only thing I will add about the crash that night is that there is nothing good that ever comes from it happening. Nothing goes the way you feel like it should. It's always everyone elses fault before it is your own. And it can be a quick way to end friendships and who knows what else. We never want these kind of things to happen, so if you are going to be in it, then be ready to deal with it when it happens.

Anyway, I was able to get some decent video of the badass save I made and I a video together to share with rest of you. You will want to watch in full frame if you are on a laptop or pc. Being able to see gauge readings while it's tumbling is kind of neat.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

quick on the s1 switch...

nice save, good thing you had some room under it when it went nuts...

have you figured out why?

I have my suspicions on what it could have been. I run two flight logger at all times which helps. I'm in the process of putting it back together now.

Definitely a nice save. kitari is a member here and he does aerobatics with his FC40, I suspect
he would suggest taking the gimbal off, if you are going to fly like that... LOL

Do we want to see the sequel?

My 17yo say's no way, you're one lucky mofo. Great save beta...

Great save, I'd say both luck and skill! Many pilots would probably loose their head when this happened... Now, the last sensor I'd like to see is your heart rate, I'm guessing it'd be a quite dramatic curve

I have my suspicions on what it could have been. I run two flight logger at all times which helps. I'm in the process of putting it back together now.

Your video has full gps locations, so no secrets there, so how about posting your flight log for some of us to look at too? Perhaps with enough different heads looking at it(them) we will see something to help point to cause?

Reactions: IflyinWY
Your video has full gps locations, so no secrets there, so how about posting your flight log for some of us to look at too? Perhaps with enough different heads looking at it(them) we will see something to help point to cause?
Flight data would be interesting.....please.

Wow, Frank.

Cool video, I've never tried Manual Mode.

That's what I'm afraid would happen, though.

I hope you sort it out!

Sheesh Frank. That was spotty, but a nice redemption.... did the app give a bad command to the flight controller? S1 save?

Sheesh Frank. That was spotty, but a nice redemption.... did the app give a bad command to the flight controller? S1 save?

I'm not ignoring those of you that posted before DrJoe, maybe my response here will cover other questions.

The developer of the app I was using and myself could not reach an agreement on what took place before, during, and after the crash later that night. And after exchanging some emails I'd like to think we were able to keep a friendship from dissolving.

map170a.jpg

Image above shows main details focused with red.
1st you see 3 column sets of longitude/latitude with one of the 3 sets not yet being recorded to the log. Missing data means there is issues.
Next you see arrow pointing at milliseconds. This test flight was set to refresh every 250ms. As you'll see the refresh rate jumps around to the loggers other settings as well. 250ms, 500ms, 750ms.
Column T shows in my opinion the most critical issue. Flight Mode is Unknown.

map170b.jpg

The above image shows line in 160 there was a hiccup and the data in which the data unable to be displayed cleanly. Also points out that the Column T still shows flight mode unknown.

map170c.jpg

The Image above shows it wasn't until line 237 until the logger was able to display 3 full sets of longitude/latitude data. I forgot to mention in 1st image details I did not agree with there being so many columns listing pretty much the same data. What the developer was trying to accomplish needed to be done through dashware, not the logger. He pushed this app version through before I could explain reasons why wee didn't want to do this. Unfortunately my crash was the result of why not to do it.

map170d.jpg

The image above shows this was the point the quad began to descend/tumble.

map170e.jpg

The image above shows same line as previous image except this is the other side of the log. Gives you the option to view the other points of interest, such as power, volts, ect.

I will post the log file from the crashed flight here a little later.

Great save! I would of been cleaning my shorts :)

Reactions: Fplvert
Thanks Frank for your obvious efforts in beta development to enable users of the UF app to now be able to relatively seamlessly work with dashware in getting flight data on their videos. I had experimented a little myself to merge the log data with the video O/P using dashware but with only very limited success. I now understand it works well now, thanks in no small part to your beta work with the developer.

You are probably already aware that the developer has thanked you publically in another thread on this forum for your many hours of work in making this possible.

Good save by the way, I trust the bounce on your roof whilst night flying didn't damage your new phantom over much later that night.

Dave

Cool video. Just a heads up. Destroyed was spelled wrong in the last graphic.

And in one of the first graphics it should be "man's" with an apostrophe, and on the graphic where "destroyed" is incorrectly spelled, you also repeat the words "from being from being"

But this isn't a spelling and grammar test :)

NICE SAVE!!!!
Lucky you'd just given yourself some height just before it happened. Had it happened at the original height, I'm not sure you'd have had time to recover.
Impressive piloting.

nice analysis Frank!

I cannot easily see your log file columns. Any chance you will share them soon so we can follow your logic?

nice analysis Frank!

I cannot easily see your log file columns. Any chance you will share them soon so we can follow your logic?

Did you try clicking on each image to view the full version?

Btw, I also had added the column name above so you can better reference the columns of data.

Thanks Frank for your obvious efforts in beta development to enable users of the UF app to now be able to relatively seamlessly work with dashware in getting flight data on their videos. I had experimented a little myself to merge the log data with the video O/P using dashware but with only very limited success. I now understand it works well now, thanks in no small part to your beta work with the developer.

You are probably already aware that the developer has thanked you publically in another thread on this forum for your many hours of work in making this possible.

Good save by the way, I trust the bounce on your roof whilst night flying didn't damage your new phantom over much later that night.

Dave

I can read posts like yours over & over. So nice to read from those that appreciate the efforts that go into this kind of stuff from time to time.

Thank you!

My quad suffered the need to replace the complete body, battery, 1 ESC, 1 2312 CCW Motor, 4 Gimbal Bracket Dampeners and 2 Dampener Pins, and 4 9450 props.

I had everything on hand except the ESC and Motor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic