Low-flying Helo

Reaction score
The other day I went to the lower falls of Tanque Verve Wash in Tucson to catch some aerial video of the flooding caused by the left-overs of Hurricane Newton. The area I flew in was 14 miles from the nearest Airport (Davis-Monthan Air Force Base). My highest point above take-off was 138 feet. After completing most of what I wanted to capture I heard the helo approaching my airspace. As you'll see, in real time, I quickly zipped back to my take-off point and watched the helo fly over where I had just been flying. To my surprise, the helo looped back and flew over my location a second time at a slightly higher altitude, but still below my allowed 400' limit.

My take: 1) Pay attention and give way to real/manned aircraft, 2) Low-flying manned aircraft can show up where you least expect them to, and 3) Commercial/military aircraft to do not follow the 400' R/C recreational rule.

Here's a link to my edited video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's a link to the *unedited* low-flying helo moments:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's my Healthy Drones info on the flight:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I welcome your thoughtful feedback...

gringorio

Last edited:
It looked like they wanted to see that water so they gave it another pass. Now if they stop and observe you then I'd be worried.

Good job staying aware and yielding to manned aircraft. You did everything right, so no need to worry!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
You mean like this one just a few minutes ago in my neighborhood? He was at best 100' AGL. We thought he was trying to put down. Those trees are only about 35'

helo.jpg

Likewise this happen to me at the beach. Fortunately I was grounded and packing up when a coastguard helicopter flew in low and slow along the very same beach I had been flying at. Good awareness is critical and you did it right!

Sent from the Traveler from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's right, that's why LOS and keeping a watch on the sky is important when you fly. I have also faced such situations but I quickly lowered my bird to extremely safe heights.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers