Low cost light weight headlight! Buy locally!

Reaction score
20160225_123805[1].jpg
20160225_113801[1].jpg
20160225_103457[1].jpg
20160225_103419[1].jpg
Ive been looking for a small low cost light to put on my P34K as a headlight so I can easily see that I am pointing back in my direction when flying at night. Granted I can use my DJI GO app but I want line of sight at night. While shopping at WalMart yesterday I came across a real nice 2 pack of white LED lights that are totally self contained and no need to hook up any wires etc. Has a on/off switch and is sealed and appears to be water resistant. At $4.88 its a real good deal and you get 2 of them! I also bought a small roll of 3M Super Strength Mounting Tape for $2.97 to attach my light to my Phantom. It was all near the automotive dept at WalMart. So for less than $8 I got 2 lights and mounting tape, enough to do 2 Phantoms or 1 Phantom with 2 lights because I can always color one of them and make it a tail light. Before attaching it to the front of my Phantom I removed a small round magnet from the back cover as I did not want it to interfere with any signals. I used a sharp pointed pick to remove it. Then I cut 2 small strips of mounting tape applied it to the lights back cover and mounted the light on the front of my P34K. Well enough talk take a look at my pictures. Enjoy!
Weight is estimated at around 7 grams but I dont have a scale so thats just a guess.
20160225_103419[1].jpg
View attachment 45011 View attachment 45011
20160225_103419[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG D FILMS
Nice idea, does it cause any problems with the camera like lens flare or ghosting in the images?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mikecorn1
I will fly it today and again tonight and see that there are no interference issues or camera issues. Just thought I would share it because I was looking for a head light and there is a 40 LED one you can get from China for less than $2 but who wants to wait forever for it to get here. Then that same China light on Ebay for $12.99 US seller. When I saw the WalMart one I got real happy!

Reactions: RayH
stay away from those round ones with 40 leds on it they get real hot and melt the glue had one took it off .or should I say fell off during flight .I'm going to walmart

Ive seen that kit but who wants to spend $49 on just some lights? And I never see the weight specs on it either. Looks like it weighs at least 20-30 grams. But to be fair I do thik they look nice. I would rather make my own super light weight solution. But thats me. Everyone thinks differently.

stay away from those round ones with 40 leds on it they get real hot and melt the glue had one took it off .or should I say fell off during flight .I'm going to walmart
Thanks for the warning had I not found the light I did I may have bought one of those.

Just got some Carbon props in today and just finnished balancing them off I go to the park to test the props and the light!

View attachment 45015 View attachment 45017 View attachment 45013 View attachment 45010 Ive been looking for a small low cost light to put on my P34K as a headlight so I can easily see that I am pointing back in my direction when flying at night. Granted I can use my DJI GO app but I want line of sight at night. While shopping at WalMart yesterday I came across a real nice 2 pack of white LED lights that are totally self contained and no need to hook up any wires etc. Has a on/off switch and is sealed and appears to be water resistant. At $4.88 its a real good deal and you get 2 of them! I also bought a small roll of 3M Super Strength Mounting Tape for $2.97 to attach my light to my Phantom. It was all near the automotive dept at WalMart. So for less than $8 I got 2 lights and mounting tape, enough to do 2 Phantoms or 1 Phantom with 2 lights because I can always color one of them and make it a tail light. Before attaching it to the front of my Phantom I removed a small round magnet from the back cover as I did not want it to interfere with any signals. I used a sharp pointed pick to remove it. Then I cut 2 small strips of mounting tape applied it to the lights back cover and mounted the light on the front of my P34K. Well enough talk take a look at my pictures. Enjoy!
Weight is estimated at around 7 grams but I dont have a scale so thats just a guess.
View attachment 45010 View attachment 45011 View attachment 45011 View attachment 45010
Is it bright?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm looking for something similar. Only difference is, I don't want it to be always on. Rather, having it flash every second or two which is probably enough to determine the aircraft's orientation from a distance. That should make the light's batteries last longer too.

I used one of those before on a prop. Yes...they are very bright. And you could reduce some weight by cracking it open and just attaching the circuit board. It took a bit of trimming, but I pried the button off, cut off all the board except the LED, and soldered a wire between them.

I went to the park and flew this evening with the light on and there was no interference of any kind. At a distance of a couple hundred ft on my return home flight you can see the light but it was small and not super bright from far. Yes you can see it but I left to go home saying to myself this isnt enough light for me I want something bad ***. So back to the WalMart I went to look at automotive LED light strips they come in red, blue and white. You get 2 18" sections for $18. I left without buying anything Ill be dammed if I have to blow $36 on some lights that I have to rig up. Got home and went online and saw a LED kit just for Phantom 3 for like $10.99 but then you read the reviews and everyone is pissed because the kit is not complete, no instructions and you know oh crap. Then the lightbulb in my head light up and I remember I had bought a LED color light strip for a project where I was going to light up the glass tops on my bar. Well that kit suddenly changed projects and It took me about an hour to do it but I now have a LED ribbon kit that goes around my Phantom and has a infa red remote control that can change color, Blue, red, green, gold and everythig in between. And buttons that do flash, strobe. fade, and smooth. Also a speed button up and down. Wow multicolor change with a fast strobe looks out of this world! UFO style if you know what I mean! Its 3 am here so I dont want the cops coming around of I disturb the neighbors but you can rest assured tomorrow night I will be flying this baby in the evening sky and freaking some people out. In fact I will use my black carbon fiber props as to blend into the night sky better. You know this is the reason I love this hobby. You can makes some mods, add some lights and all the while it makes you feel like a mad scientist. Maybe I can change my name from Rambo1 to ROCKTODAM ha ha thats mad scientist spelled backwards to you! Or maybe Dr Evil muuuahhhh muuuahhhh muuuaaaahhh!!! ha ha Good night all!

led light strips are awesome mine is been on bird for 2 months no problems its hooked to the battery so is always on maybe lost 1 min of flight but wow can see 2000 feet away at night
2016-01-28 19.38.51.jpg

How would you fit them? I like [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

kit was 15 off amazon they are self sticking then little plug fits over battery terminal

kit was 15 off amazon they are self sticking then little plug fits over battery terminal
How does it fit over the terminals with the battery inserted, sorry I don't quite understand the connection. Thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will take a pic hang on

Reactions: RayH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20