Lost Complete Control of P2V+ Today, Near Miss Crash

AmosMoses said:
central said:
Is this water on the lens?
On the video it looks like you are flying the phantom in the rain (while sitting in your car ;)
I don't thing that the phantom is waterproof.
Maybe some water in the naza electronics caused the malfunction.

I was thinking the exact same things. I'm sorry but flying in the rain while sitting in the car just seems like asking for truble.

To say that "dji had better fix this problem" is kinda silly, no? I'm going to have to cast a vote for total user error on this one.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

+1 moron fly in the rain with electric non waterproof item wow what a morooon :roll:

skyhighdiver said:
AmosMoses said:
central said:
On the video it looks like you are flying the phantom in the rain (while sitting in your car ;)

I was thinking the exact same things. I'm sorry but flying in the rain while sitting in the car just seems like asking for truble.

To say that "dji had better fix this problem" is kinda silly, no? I'm going to have to cast a vote for total user error on this one.

+1 moron fly in the rain with electric non waterproof item wow what a morooon :roll:

a single drop of water on any circuit board can and will cause death to your flying friend

skyhighdiver said:
AmosMoses said:
central said:

So this is the video of the first crash, the original P2V. As you can see, it's not raining here, and I'm outside of my car, but the same exact thing happened? I didn't get a chance to switch to ATT mode the first time, but both flights ended the same...crash and burn. How could it be rain when it wasn't even raining here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOks_j1 ... e=youtu.be

FlyHighPhoto said:
The P2V+ was flying great, weather conditions were drizzle, and light breeze, overcast skies with a very low ceiling (the state park is Sky Meadow's up in the mountains) that I would approximate at roughly 500 feet.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet so if this has already been mentioned forgive me. Has your Vision+ been waterproofed? It is, afterall, an electrical device, and right before the video ends she was getting pretty wet. Plus with such a low cloud deck it was likely high humidity. Last week I got myself caught in a torrential downpour filming a thunderstorm. Between the wild winds and the pouring rain I was fortunate to have made it back down in one piece. I honestly thought I was about to lose her when the heavens opened up. But I would not intentionally fly my bird in rain unless she had been waterproofed. Could this simply be moisture/humidity hitting the right component resulting in a loss of control?

UPDATE: Not that I've read the entire thread I see most others were thinking along the same lines. ;)

FlyHighPhoto said:
What board would even have to get wet for this to happen? The GPS / NAZA is on the very top of the top housing, this is probably the most protected area on the entire bird, and it would be difficult for water to even reach it.

My first concern would be the compass (that hangs down low, would get very wet and basically went into the wet grass), then the ESC's (very sensitive, I even worry about condensation on these), followed by the battery (contacts and built in controller, where water can easily seep in).

Please don't fly in wet conditions and please don't fly from inside your car. I really honestly believe if you go back there on a sunny/dry day and stand outside of your car and do the same exact flight you will probably not experience what you experienced.

PixelNinja said:
skyhighdiver said:
a single drop of water on any circuit board can and will cause death to your flying friend

My Phantom, and many others as well, must be zombies then because they fly fine after having been completely submerged and then dried out.

Uggghhh facepalm :shock:

Yes yours flew fine after being DRIED OUT, his went nuts whilst getting soaked. See the difference? Dried out...... Getting soaked?

PixelNinja said:
skyhighdiver said:

My Phantom, and many others as well, must be zombies then because they fly fine after having been completely submerged and then dried out.

Notice the part about being "dried out?"

This post is really unbelievable....flying from inside his car... in the rain,,,,and he wonders,,,,,,,oh golly gee,,,, why did i just have a fly away?,,,hmmm,,,,was it interference?,,,uh,,,a cell tower?....NSA?,,,,CIA?...space invaders?,,,,,ah,,,,,well, lets try:
"NO SIGNAL"
com'on...before hurt yourself or worse someone else, fly with a little common sense,,,,,just a little...

Two major issues:

1. You are flying form inside a car. Metal of any sort acts as an RF shield especially at the 5Ghz range which is the control frequency the P2's use. Depending on where the P2 is distance and orientation to you, in all probability it had poor control signal.

2. Its obviously raining. Yes electronics has some resistance to "moisture" but you cannot guarantee at what point it will cause a problem. Water is conductive to electricity and hence at some point of saturation it will creep into the motors and body of the P2 causing a failure of some component.

Add these two together and it was inevitable that at some point the P2 would fail.

I won't rant, as there are plenty here who'll gladly oblige you and probably deservedly so. But instead I'll point out what may not be obviously obvious to some, and follow with a few "why's"...

Notice the cooling vents in the upper shell in this photo. Consider what happens when flying in fog, mist, or snow for a few minutes while the props collect and blast the upper shell with this moisture... It flows over the surface and eventually makes it's way into the vents and inside the Phantom.

This is where all that moisture collected & blown into the vents ends up. A drop or two across the right terminals on an ESC would be enough to change prop speed and destabilize the aircraft (keep in kind Quad's are inherently unstable machines and require constant corrections to keep them in place on the air). A drop or two across the terminals of the Compass Sensor connector on the Central Board and your baby no longer knows what direction it's pointing, in fact it'll make the AutoPilot think it's pointed the wrong way and need immediate yaw correction.

Have you ever watched the water droplets roll past your window on an airplane flying thru clouds? Same thing... fog, mist, snow all just variations in the physical state of water. The electronics of Phantom's have little to no protection from moisture condensing onto the exposed motors, circuit board, sensors, connectors, and wiring.

Never fly a Phantom for any length of time under such conditions. Any accumulated moisture that isn't removed quickly after such a flight may eventually corrode and damage the components over the course of several hours to days and manifest as new hidden intermittent problems later.

iDrone ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 438
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 407
Well if it isn't Petey Fagerlin still here trolling around here on Phantom Pilots. What's the matter? Kicked off of the bike forums, Mercedes forums, and got no place else to go? And you told me you weren't obsessive.

Let the culling begin... Again.

iDrone

Peter, start your egg timer and start looking for a new Logon. I suspect you've got less than 24 hours before Adam flushes you out the fuselage with the rest of the waste... just like he's done how many times before? A dozen?

iDrone ;)

Ahh I see you've been systematically deleting your posts while we've been chatting. Ten posts erased? Deleting what might be construed as offensive and/or harassing posts? No worries you can come on here as many times as you like and do it all over again, though why you'd want Google's search results of your name to reflect your history as a bonafide troll is beyond me. Have fun Peter.

Oh by the way, you really should take-up Pull_Up's offer of a quiet conversation about all this, he's quite the conversationalist.

iDrone ;)

PixelNinja said:
Notice my post right above yours?

(I guess not)

You refer to the one where you got lucky and flew it in the rain and nothing happened? Yes, I saw it, but you were fortunate. Unless you prepped her for use in wet conditions, it is just tempting fate.

Actually that wasn't hyperbole, it was a factual story. He bragged about it all the time. (note the past tense?) You've been fortunate...aka LUCKY that you flew in the rain a few times without incident. Unprotected electrical circuits and water are a bad mix. Doubt me? Plug a radio into a standard (non-GFCI) outlet, get in the tub, and drop in in with you.

I don't know you, but I see iDrone has you pegged well...

Something interesting...

Not saying I would fly in the rain, but I have modded both my p2v and p2v+ with a micro Deans power connector for my LED prop lights for night flying. If anyone took apart their unit, you would see the ESC circuit boards are coated with what appears to be some type of "conformal" spray. The boards "appear" to be moisture resistant. I probed the ESC(motor speed control board) power leads and the solder bead wouldn't conduct. Had to move my probe toward the wire insulation to get continuity to verify power bus.

The p2v+ has the camera WiFi electronics in a shielded case and the NAZA is enclosed so couldn't see it, but the mainboard looks coated, too. Mileage may vary, but It looks like fog or light moisture not to be a problem in the short term.

jdvmi00 said:
:eek: flying in rain and in your car! This is why it's not going to be long before the laws are going to ruin this hobby because more and more inexperienced people will be treating these like toys :cry:

You know, I hate to join the dog pile, but this comes close to being one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of being done with anything RC, and I've been flying RC for 47 years :eek: . It also shows one glaring issue with the DJI stuff, and that is that it is generally so easy to operate that people without any common sense or experience are able to get into the air. It is exactly this reason why there will need to be very strong operating rules, but those are never going to overcome the fact that there will always be people with more money than sense.

Calm down you all and don't be rude. I agree that it was not the smartest idea of the thread starter to base his post upon the video of him flying in wet and humid conditions from inside a car.

But he also posted (and this should be added to the opening post):

So this is the video of the first crash, the original P2V. As you can see, it's not raining here, and I'm outside of my car, but the same exact thing happened? I didn't get a chance to switch to ATT mode the first time, but both flights ended the same...crash and burn. How could it be rain when it wasn't even raining here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOks_j1 ... e=youtu.be

Apart from the video being private (please fix), if this story is true, how would you explain it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31