Lost Complete Control of P2V+ Today, Near Miss Crash

Reaction score
I pre-ordered this from Amazon, who originally showed a release date of April 21, 2014, which quickly came and went without any notification from Amazon, so luckily my local hobby shop got 4 in, and I purchased it there. I also own 2 other DJI Phantom's, including the original Vision, and one with an H3-2D gimbal / gopro setup, I'm very experienced in flying these, and count the number of crashes in 200+ hours on one hand.

The first week with the Vision Plus was awesome! Accompanied with the Carl Zeiss Cinemizer's, the overall FPV experience with a stabilized 3 axis gimbal is incredible! Today however wasn't so great. I took it to a local state park, which has 3 areas to it that I drive by everyday on the way to work. I've flown in 2 of the 3 areas many times, more on the area I flew in today later. The P2V+ was flying great, weather conditions were drizzle, and light breeze, overcast skies with a very low ceiling (the state park is Sky Meadow's up in the mountains) that I would approximate at roughly 500 feet. I made several passes through the rolling meadows, and was just about to end the flight, when I decided to fly accross the street to the area of the park I fly in more frequently. The P2V+ suddenly and violently lost all control. It was difficult for me to grasp at first, as I was flying FPV with goggles on, and the stabilization of the camera's picture is so good it takes longer for the brain to compute there's an issue.

I immediately took off the goggles and located the Phantom with LOS, but still had absolutely 0 control of anything, I then switch to ATTI mode, still no response whatsoever. The Phantom is picking up speed, loosing altitude, and flying towards a highway with cars, I really begin to panic when the P2V+ momentarily seems to correct itself at about 25 ft. At this point I had turned the controller completely off to hopefully activate bird's "safety" feature of returning home. The Phantom slows down, hovering but not entering the GTH feature, I turn back on the controller in GPS mode and make THE SLIGHTEST movement forward in my direction when the Phantom completely looses control again! This time however it maneuvered itself back over the state park, before violently crashing into an open field. The entire ordeal lasted maybe 1 minute from start to finish, but that 60 seconds was easily one of the most stressful of my entire life.

I was literally shaking when it finally crashed, thankfully away from anyone or anything. The camera broke at one the axis's, I was videotaping at the time, however the mp4 file is corrupted, trying to recover it now. The props broke on it which I've since replaced, and after inspecting the Phantom thoroughly, an advanced calibration on the flight controller via desktop program, and calibrated the compass, before taking off and the entire same thing happened again!

I usually don't fly in this area of the state park, because the only other time that I did was with my original Phantom Vision, and the EXACT SAME THING happened with that bird. At the time of the crash of the original P2V, I really wondered if something environmentally caused it to lose control and crash, but dismissed it after returning it to Amazon.com for a full refund.

What could have caused these sudden navigational control issues? Here's a link to the State Park on Google Maps. Any guess's on what could be causing this, and how I can fix it will be greatly appreciated.

DJI had better come up with a solution for this, or someone is going to get hurt. To have such an expensive machine just completely loose control is unacceptable IMO.

I'll post the video here as well if I can recover it.

Here's the http://youtu.be/_73jkT0kzfsYouTube video of the flight, and I would guess 20-30 seconds before the Phantom finally crashed into the field.

I lost control around the 12:00 minute mark http://youtu.be/_73jkT0kzfs?t=11m30s, as you'll see the Phantom begin to speed up. This is a serious problem that DJI needs to identify, and correct before someone gets hurt.

I used to attribute "Phatom Fly Away's" to pilot inexperience, but I am a true believer now that there is a serious issue going on here. I hope to try and identify the source of this crash here on the forum. Thanks for anyone who responds.

Is this water on the lens?
On the video it looks like you are flying the phantom in the rain (while sitting in your car ;)
I don't thing that the phantom is waterproof.
Maybe some water in the naza electronics caused the malfunction.

Do you think the moisture from the drizzle may have shorted something in the electronics? Seems to be a lot of moisture on the lens.

Seems like fog on the lens, maybe it was too foggy for the PV2+, like the previous user said, it's not waterproof.

Video was not yet processed when i posted my reply. Now that I have watched it I have to agree with Jayson and central. It seems not advisable to fly in such wet conditions.

central said:
Is this water on the lens?
On the video it looks like you are flying the phantom in the rain (while sitting in your car ;)
I don't thing that the phantom is waterproof.
Maybe some water in the naza electronics caused the malfunction.

I was thinking the exact same things. I'm sorry but flying in the rain while sitting in the car just seems like asking for truble.

To say that "dji had better fix this problem" is kinda silly, no? I'm going to have to cast a vote for total user error on this one.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I think it was because you was sitting in your car.

The metal body of a car blocks the controllers frequency, that is what i think because when i use my gps and it not stuck to the screen and its my hand i loose all satellites, I would not sit in my car while flying my phantom.

Dake.

This is the equivalent of "I flew it on 4 year old batteries in the transmitter, 1 green bar on the actual Phantom battery, and I ran it at full speed towards a brick wall and GPS didnt automatically apply the brakes. DJI needs to fix that. "

:D

Wow, that's actual rain hitting the camera lens :shock: , then at about 5 minutes a landing in wet grass :eek: . To top it off, flying from inside your car :roll: . Pretty much covers the list of top things I would NEVER do. Sorry for your experience, but this is what I commonly refer to as a GUI error (Gross User Incompetence).

:eek: flying in rain and in your car! This is why it's not going to be long before the laws are going to ruin this hobby because more and more inexperienced people will be treating these like toys :cry:

It wasn't really raining when I started flying, but the drizzle did pick up as the flight progressed. I have flown my Phantom Vision in much heavier rain then this before, as I recalled reading somewhere (looking for reference) that it was weather resistant, and there are many videos of the Phantom flying in the rain on YT. I agree it's probably not advisable, but it was only drizzling when I took it up, this shouldn't effect the flight controls as the Phantom's frame is very well protected from the elements. The camera, especially the Vision Plus's appears the most vulnerable to moisture issues.

This doesn't however explain why I've now had two DJI Vision's, the first one in completely dry conditions, fail at the same physical location nearly 2 months apart. I believe I still have the first crash video on my computer, I will upload when I find it.

jdvmi00 said:
:eek: flying in rain and in your car! This is why it's not going to be long before the laws are going to ruin this hobby because more and more inexperienced people will be treating these like toys :cry:

Dude, it was at a State Park with nobody else around me. I couldn't think of a better place to play around with my Phantom.

DJIP2VPlus said:
Wow, that's actual rain hitting the camera lens :shock: , then at about 5 minutes a landing in wet grass :eek: . To top it off, flying from inside your car :roll: . Pretty much covers the list of top things I would NEVER do. Sorry for your experience, but this is what I commonly refer to as a GUI error (Gross User Incompetence).

Haha. I'm not going to disagree with you, looking back on it, I probably shouldn't have flown in the light rain. Look on YouTube how many others fly in the rain without any issues, and for this to happen twice in the same geographical area, the first time in dry conditions shouldn't be dismissed so easily.

I'm really tempted to take a 2.4 non vision model out there and see if I have the same issue, if not, take my original P2V back and video tape a 3PV when it's dry to prove that it wasn't the rain that caused the flight controls to loose control.

What board would even have to get wet for this to happen? The GPS / NAZA is on the very top of the top housing, this is probably the most protected area on the entire bird, and it would be difficult for water to even reach it.

DJIP2VPlus said:

Interesting, it seems that officially DJI says light rain. There's also a sales video they did of the Phantom flying in the rain.

Re: Phantom weather resistance?

by DomKane » Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 pm

I'd like to think that so long as the mobile phone in your pocket is still working the Phantom should too. I know it works in light rain (officially), but of course humidity is a different beast.

Dom Kane
DJ | Producer | Engineer

viewtopic.php?t=505&p=3100

It 's obviously either rain, the fact you are in your car or maybe a cell tower nearby, doubt it's an engineering problem with the aircraft.

tedw123 said:
It 's obviously either rain, the fact you are in your car or maybe a cell tower nearby, doubt it's an engineering problem with the aircraft.

No, I'm not inferring it's necessarily an engineering issue at all. I'm just saying that something environmentally (like a cell phone tower) caused two crashes, one today in the rain, the first outside of the car in dry conditions to crash. If a cell phone tower is able to take over Phantom's and cause them to violently crash into the ground, then that would mean a no-fly zone for at least 75% of populated areas across the country.

This State Park is also in the middle of a dead zone, I don't get cell phone signal out there regardless. It's also at the foot of a mountain, Lost Mountain to be exact, but I don't know what is causing it to lose control.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1