LOOSE Batteries in Brand New P4P 2.0

Reaction score
I saw another post about this (except his was refurbished) and want to share what I learned about my NEW P4P 2.0...

First I'll say that I just saw in the other thread where he updated, returning his drone and it was replaced with a unit that his batteries aren't loose in, so I guess I might be contacting DJI about mine.
Very sad that DJI doesn't have better Quality Control for the amount of money these things cost...
Second I did what I did in the video below (rather than contact DJI right away) because I'm one of many that doesn't trust everything DJI does in the way of customer/product support (IE quality control).

My Heads Up Info on the 2.0 is that after reading about it having the tab/switch that won't let it take off if the battery isn't properly locked in I decided to do a test and was BOTHERED by the result of the test.
With drone and radio on and connected (battery for sure locked in 100% properly) I pushed up on the battery and guess what? GO went to saying CAN'T TAKE OFF, so that had me wondering if this "safety feature" they added to the 2.0 is going to cause issues/crashes on drones that "for sure have the battery properly installed before we take off"???
Well the good news is I just did another test and once the motors are running they don't shut off if/when the safety-tab detects the bottom lock isn't seated properly (all you have to do is push up the bottom lock so it isn't pushing on the tab anymore)...

"This shim deal is only temporary"
I only did it because I'm moving away from here soon and really REALLY want to take nice pictures and video of area before I leave.
With that said, this is what I did to make myself feel better about my Loose Battery situation...
Side notes that I sanded the top "Edges" of the shim smooth so they don't scratch up the battery compartment and when I say "this battery" in the video, that test was before adding the shim...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Now, the added pressure will cause the body to crack. My P4 has cracks with everything factory. Let us know how long it takes to crack the body?

Now, the added pressure will cause the body to crack. My P4 has cracks with everything factory. Let us know how long it takes to crack the body?

I understand what your saying and I appreciate your warning WV.
You should see my P3 just from Very Hard flying (with some added learning mistakes and abuse thrown in):rolleyes:
The material I had on hand just happened to be thick enough to take up unwanted space but it honestly didn't make the batteries go in any harder/tighter than they did without the shim.
I will however keep a Very Close eye out for anything that looks like wear (let alone stress).

I understand what your saying and I appreciate your warning WV.
You should see my P3 just from Very Hard flying (with some added learning mistakes and abuse thrown in):rolleyes:
The material I had on hand just happened to be thick enough to take up unwanted space but it honestly didn't make the batteries go in any harder/tighter than they did without the shim.
I will however keep a Very Close eye out for anything that looks like wear (let alone stress).
It is amazing what a p3 will take! Mine took a full speed crash into a trailer tailgate. Also 2 trees, compass malfunction crash, 3 dunks underwater and it still runs. It has no cracks in it at all.
I baby my P4 and it is full of cracks. Even the battery cover is cracked. I bought it as new from DJI, but the plastic is not as strong as the P3. I only ment to worn you to be careful. I wish you the Best of luck.

Reactions: KCadby
My P4 Advance has the same loose battery issue. My old P4 did too. I'm thinking on using some plain old duct tape to keep it secure while flying.

It is amazing what a p3 will take! Mine took a full speed crash into a trailer tailgate. Also 2 trees, compass malfunction crash, 3 dunks underwater and it still runs. It has no cracks in it at all.
I baby my P4 and it is full of cracks. Even the battery cover is cracked. I bought it as new from DJI, but the plastic is not as strong as the P3. I only ment to worn you to be careful. I wish you the Best of luck.

My P3 has survived abuse that I wouldn't expect any drone to survive.
That includes being under water for more than 15 minutes one time after I let it tag a tree branch that was out over a fresh water pond. What shocked me more than anything was when I finally found it I actually had to Turn It Off because it was still on :screamcat: After over 48 hours in a bag with 20Lb of rice a test flight shockingly went OK (with the exception of loosing GPS lock = went into ATTI several times), but after another 30 hours in the rice my P3 'Survivor' has worked perfectly ever since.
I usually do a good amount of homework before I buy anything expensive but I have to admit that I didn't look into what issues the P4s might have as well as I should have (I wanted the camera it has badly) plus I 'assumed' everything about the P4 would be better than the P3 but obviously not...
I DO Love it though...so far...

My P4 Advance has the same loose battery issue. My old P4 did too. I'm thinking on using some plain old duct tape to keep it secure while flying.

Why would you not do something less messy, something like a velcro strap? You could always tighten it and loosen it, and you could even get a white one that semi blends in.

Reactions: loonie01
I thought about that @loonie01 but wrapping a strap all the way around the body isn't an option (because of the gimbal and sensors) and I don't think putting a strip of adhesive velro on the body bellow the battery is a good option either (because of how far the battery sticks out = bad angle for a strap to stay attached to the strip)...
What would have been wonderful (and smarter) is DJI "properly addressing a known issue" that the P4s have with what I believe would be a simple change in the compartment to keep the batteries from moving up (how much did they spend on designing and adding a switch plus firmware/software to NOT fix the actual problem on 2.0)...
I know the switch was added because some people aren't making sure the battery is in all the way but I also think/believe the number of crashes from that happening would be much lower if the battery couldn't move up/down the way it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: loonie01
One problem is that these batteries will expand as they get hot so a really close-fitting slot could prove to be more of an issue. I would prefer a simple key-lock system, push battery in and turn key and it doesn't come out. pretty simple really. We don't need a rapid change over like swapping mags in a semi-auto pistol!

Edited my OP adding "This shim deal is only temporary"...
I only did it because I'm moving away from here soon and really REALLY want to take nice pictures and video of area before I leave.

I'm for sure going to keep a CLOSE eye on battery expansion/fit.
I've already (and always) been doing that with my P3P because the batteries come out noticeably harder after flying, especially if/when I fly it hard, so the first thing 'always do' (even if I'm finished flying) is remove the battery right after I turn it off.

Not sure I’m a big fan of that switch.

Wow that's insane. Sorry to hear you've had that problem after what you've paid. I never wanted to be stuck with a product that crashed due to pilot error (or a technical error where it loses power due to a loose battery) and hence, went for the refresh option. Yes, it's more expensive but peace of mind is more important to me.

Think DJI could invest more with the battery design to make the battery head smaller, but the clips bigger/thicker but not so as to add additional weight...

RoOSTA

Reactions: Cutaway

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers