Look at this Crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given all the media news this past week on devices in our houses capable of spying on us while even off, e.g. Samsung TV, phones, Alexa, Echo, etc., the expectation of privacy even inside is pretty much non-existent anymore.

Just wait until some idiot misses the drone and the bullet, on it's way back down, hits a kid. I may be wrong here but I thought there was a federal law against shoot at aircraft including sUAS.

But then it is Oklahoma.

I thinking most people would use a shotgun. Raining down BBs in town is still an issue, though.

The "privacy" argument always irks me. My wife has a zoom lens for her photography business that'll pick the nose hairs off a gnat at 1000 paces. That kinda tech could be hidden in your bushes all the time and you'd never know. But my flying weedwacker is what sets you off??
Exactly !These drones would have to be fairly low to really be seeing anything without a good zoom lens. Another words in a window maybe ? Nothing a good camera cant do in someones hands. Sounds to me like a lot of people just don't really understand drones. Or maybe some people are just pissing people off with them. I think Some people just don't like things they don't understand.

Reactions: SilverStone641
Given all the media news this past week on devices in our houses capable of spying on us while even off, e.g. Samsung TV, phones, Alexa, Echo, etc., the expectation of privacy even inside is pretty much non-existent anymore.
Thats funny you say that seeing that the corporate Media Also had a write up about that also. Basically said it was the new way with all the new electronics that we use and we will have to learn to live with it . In other words ,Your privacy is a free for all at the Governments disposal .

I'm reminded of the on-line video (haven't been able to locate it lately) where the older guy takes off his shirt and throws it into the props of a drone that someone is flying at a height about 4 feet on what looks like a busy street in a large town here in the US. The operator asks the guy why he did that and the guy responded with something like " Your not going to fly that thing around my house" or something to that effect.

We operators have to face it - some people don't like drones - or anything else - flying around anywhere near them or their property. We have the right to fly anywhere that it is NOT prohibited. Their right to "privacy" ends at their property line - the same place our "right" to fly ends. We need to be pro-active in educating the public and our fellow pilots of this status of affairs, but, more importantly, we need to respect the fact that this "status of affairs" exists - and always will exist - so long as people own property, people fly things by remote control, and lawmakers recognize the rights of each of those groups.

Wow what a good idea that is....

Harmless drone not causing any harm then....

"I know.. I will shoot down that drone so it falls, lands on a car that crashes into pedestrians, then other cars and cause a massive pile up with deaths all over the place"

All because a simple drone was flying minding it own business!

1489114968296.jpg

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Drones and mortars don't stand a chance against the lasers. (Source KSWO)

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK (KWTV) – Senate Bill 660 says anyone who owns property can damage or destroy a drone without being held civilly liable for the damage as long as the drone isn't in Federal Aviation Administration Airspace air space or where a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.

“Citizens have a reasonable expectation of privacy and their privacy is being violated every day by these things,” Sen. Ralph Shortey said.

According to the FAA, damaging or destroying a drone is a federal crime because drones are classified as aircraft. Though the bill would allow shooting one down in a neighborhood or capturing one with a net.

“The safety issue's going to happen is when somebody shoots down a drone or they shoot at a drone and the bullet takes off across town and hits somebody else. That's where the real problems are,” Don Price, an aerial photographer, told KWTV.

The bill is still making its way through the Senate.

Information provided by KWTV.

All airspace above the ground is FAA controlled, furthermore, the FAA had clearly stated that their laws pre-empt city and state drone regulations. Look up the word pre-empt....

If this is in fact a law in Oklahoma, all I can add is that it doesn't appear to be legal.

Things like this occur when good people sit and do nothing as these ridiculous laws get put into the books.

What you need is a group of people in Oklahoma to put together a Gofundme or other fundraiser and fight this in court.

The FAA has control over ALL the airspace above the ground in the United States of America, which includes Alaska and Hawaii in addition to all the mainland states. Some of that airspace is what is called "uncontrolled" airspace, which only means that there are no particular restrictions which limit what can or cannot be done in those spaces OTHER THAN general safety-related activities. These are such things as "Don't fly closer than 1,500 feet above or around people, buildings, or other structures", which applies to pilots of all types of manned aircraft

Those areas that are not "uncontrolled" airspace are, of course, "controlled" - meaning there are specific types of activities which take place within those areas which require the limiting (or total exclusion) of aviation activities within those areas. Areas around airports, above national defense facilities, some wildlife preserves, major government offices, etc., are just a few examples of where "controlled" airspace might be imposed. These "controlled" areas are created for one thing: protection of something, be it people's lives, efficient operation of airspace resources, security of a national asset, or maybe even the safety of people in the aircraft which might unknowingly be flown into a dangerous area.

As drone pilots we have just as much responsibility to fly safely as do the pilots of any type of manned aircraft. True, our UAV's aren't as big as a -747, and they probably won't kill as many people if they crash as one of those aircraft will, but they are dangerous nonetheless IF WE DON'T FLY THEM RESPONSIBLY. Last year we had several occasions in the state that I live in where some drone operator decided to fly his/her UAV in areas where aerial-delivery fire-fighting aircraft were busy putting out forest fires. Those fire-fighting efforts had to be STOPPED just as soon as the drone was spotted. Why? Because the flight crews of those manned aircraft HAD NO IDEA WHICH WAY THE DRONE WAS GOING TO BE GOING - up, down sideways, forward, back or whatever. And some of those fire-fighting aircraft are not built to take a hit from a 5-pound object, no matter what it is made of!

We need to fly smart - EVERY TIME. We need to respect other people's rights of expectation of privacy not only just above their property, but also around the perimeter of that property. In short - Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You!
Actually, class G airspace is called "Uncontrolled Airspace" for a reason.

With 30+ posts, not one put the responsibility on the drone operators.

Has anyone considered the line from spider man "great power comes with responsibility".

Just because we have an "expensive" toy that we can fly anywhere do whatever we want. Privacy and property right are big issues. We as drone operators need to respect other's right and privacy.

Avoid flying over private property or get the permission first. If you have no choice, fly high (200ft or more) to avoid confrontation.

The FAA has control over ALL the airspace above the ground in the United States of America, which includes Alaska and Hawaii in addition to all the mainland states. Some of that airspace is what is called "uncontrolled" airspace, which only means that there are no particular restrictions which limit what can or cannot be done in those spaces OTHER THAN general safety-related activities. These are such things as "Don't fly closer than 1,500 feet above or around people, buildings, or other structures", which applies to pilots of all types of manned aircraft

Those areas that are not "uncontrolled" airspace are, of course, "controlled" - meaning there are specific types of activities which take place within those areas which require the limiting (or total exclusion) of aviation activities within those areas. Areas around airports, above national defense facilities, some wildlife preserves, major government offices, etc., are just a few examples of where "controlled" airspace might be imposed. These "controlled" areas are created for one thing: protection of something, be it people's lives, efficient operation of airspace resources, security of a national asset, or maybe even the safety of people in the aircraft which might unknowingly be flown into a dangerous area.

As drone pilots we have just as much responsibility to fly safely as do the pilots of any type of manned aircraft. True, our UAV's aren't as big as a -747, and they probably won't kill as many people if they crash as one of those aircraft will, but they are dangerous nonetheless IF WE DON'T FLY THEM RESPONSIBLY. Last year we had several occasions in the state that I live in where some drone operator decided to fly his/her UAV in areas where aerial-delivery fire-fighting aircraft were busy putting out forest fires. Those fire-fighting efforts had to be STOPPED just as soon as the drone was spotted. Why? Because the flight crews of those manned aircraft HAD NO IDEA WHICH WAY THE DRONE WAS GOING TO BE GOING - up, down sideways, forward, back or whatever. And some of those fire-fighting aircraft are not built to take a hit from a 5-pound object, no matter what it is made of!

We need to fly smart - EVERY TIME. We need to respect other people's rights of expectation of privacy not only just above their property, but also around the perimeter of that property. In short - Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You!
Yes I agree completely. There should be no argument here in terms of ensuring education and understanding of the regulations for UAV operators. Understanding the risks is the first step to mitigating them.

Violation of privacy? Maybe. So call the cops and file invasion of privacy charges.

Trespassing? Maybe. So call the cops and file trespassing charges.

If someone is spying on you with binoculars, you can't shoot them.
Amen and, i think that privacy expectaion decreases exponentially once you step outside of your house. If it's some **** fool in hoover over top of your home camera pointed at your family, property etc.. thats one thing however if it is a responsible pilot flying his route maning his mission and using that airspace then that is all it is! Why make it something it is not? Like INVADING anybodies anything. The Responsibility goes both ways.

Last edited:
People just don't fully understand UAVs yet and the media loves to make headlines. It's like when the automobile just came out in the streets and freaked out the horses, people wanted to shoot the car, now their fear flys'. I only hope it does not take a death of an innocent child playing in his back yard and struck by an random bullet fired by some idiot thinking he can because so far not much is being done to these ignorant a holes.

Wow what a good idea that is....

Harmless drone not causing any harm then....

"I know.. I will shoot down that drone so it falls, lands on a car that crashes into pedestrians, then other cars and cause a massive pile up with deaths all over the place"

All because a simple drone was flying minding it own business!

View attachment 78131
what would Barney Fife do in a situation like this ???? NIPPIT, NIPPIT, NIPIT IN THE BUD !

I suspect that at some point FAA jurisdiction will begin at a height somewhat above ground level for private property.
I don't like the idea of anyone but me flying within an altitude lower than my tree tops, about 100 ft or so.

There's a huge difference to just passing over a property on route to somewhere else and hovering or buzzing a property -as someone else said think how you would react if a drone hovered over your back yard while your wife / daughter was sun bathing - I own a drone but frankly if someone flys like that they're fair game in my book.

What happens when the drone pilot has a gun and decided to shoot the person who shot down their drone? At that point one would argue that an armed person shot down their model was armed, irate and had damaged their property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart