locating trees

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
Since 2007, I have spent some time looking for relatively tall trees that provide a good view out over the surrounding trees. The application is to use such trees to keep watch for a rare bird flying over the distant treetops. One of the approaches was to climb one tree and use it to spot other trees that might be useful as observation platforms. We used a precise compass and (when possible) a laser range finder to estimate the coordinates of trees. This approach is effective for trees that aren't too far off, but it can be difficult to locate distant trees, which are often difficult to see and/or recognize from the ground.

I recently experimented with a simple approach for locating trees with a P3 Pro. I set up missions in Litchi with the coordinates of waypoints chosen precisely. First do a north-south track with the camera aimed due west. Then do an east-west track with the camera aimed due north. In order to account for the fact that the drone doesn't instantaneously get up to cruising speed, I obtained images from reference points a short distance inside the end points and used those points as the actual end points. With this approach, it is possible to get a pretty good estimate of the coordinates of an object based on the timing of when it crosses the center of the picture. It allows one to obtain information on the locations of several trees with just two flights (which could be combined into one flight).

Reactions: BigAl07
Good idea

Why not do a 'simple' SfM mission, perhaps using a trial version of Pix4D desktop? You could fly up, using licthi or GS Pro or just flying manually, and take a load of pictures of the area, ideally as you described flying facing west, east, etc. This will let you build a nice BIG (watch out for PC overloads) map in Pix4D to locate the tops of trees in the ditance, because they will appear in the tie points-point cloud, or if you process fully in the full point cloud. You can then simply zoom in on/ move to that point, then click the point, and bingo there's your GPS coordinates to use on the ground PLUS you have the images of the tree in which is was visible on the right hand side, so you know what species it is and perhaps what locale it is in also.

Just a thought, might speed things up.

EDIT: how large is the area? can you fly in a few locations (NE quarter, NW, SE, SW) and then put those images into pix4d? this would give you the best results...

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of Pix4D, which is based on the same basic concepts but much more advanced. It offers much more than would be needed for my application, but I might give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

The area is about 10 km by 10 km, but the tallest trees are in a smaller region that is perhaps 4 km by 3 km. I could get samples from various points within the area. A potential problem is that it can be surprisingly difficult to recognize trees within a forest from different directions.

My advice is to use Tag Pilot. Remember to download the terrain token from MapsMadeEasy.com before you head out.

You could tag the trees you spot when flying and export them as an KML.

Good spotting!

I'm guessing that your name is the key to the species?
My username is the name of a different bird. I set up a Yahoo e-mail account during my first visit to South America in 2000. I needed to choose a username that hadn't already been taken. I had just seen a Seaside Cinclodes along the coast of Peru and chose that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik