Litchi Waypoints? Is it better to have many waypoints or just a few for smooth video

Reaction score
When I am making my POVs, lets say I have 4 of them around a square playgorund. Will my video be smoother in adjusting the camera if I have 12 small segments in waypoints, or 4 large segements?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Agree with Laurend. Just remember that with curves turned on, your waypoint actions won't start. Set the video to start on takeoff and to end on landing. You can edit out the extra later.

Reactions: Laurend818
Agree with above, use curved turns, but remember the aircraft will never actually reach the waypoint, it will turn just before it actually gets to the exact spot, you may need to push the waypoint out a bit to compensate.

Reactions: Laurend818
There are just times when I move from waypoint to waypoint, the camera seems to swing to the next POI to quickley....even with interpolate turned on.

Does anyone know the max number of waypoints and POIs that can be in a mission?

In my Litchi missions, I find that the number of waypoints isn't terribly important, but rather the number of POIs and the abrupt changes between them is far more important, particularly if you are flying faster than 10 mph or so. When the POI focal point changes at a waypoint, you will be yawing the AC through a wide arc sometimes, even if the AC flight path is straight as an arrow. Swinging the AC from one POI to the next can cause a jarring pan in your video if they are 90 degrees apart. In contrast, the flight path can have very acute angles of even 180 degrees, yet they are hardly noticed at all in the video, if the POI focal point doesn't change before and after the course change.

So, if you want smooth video, pay much more attention to POIs, and when you plan to change focus between them, rather than the number of waypoints. Interpolation works well but keep in mind, if you add more waypoints, you actually get worse results, not better, because the machine has less time to change focal point between the waypoints. Interpolation is much smoother when the AC has a lot of time to work with and yaw happens more slowly between waypoints that are spread further apart, because the algorithm is trying to fully complete the required tilt and yaw before the next waypoint.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie