Litchi app shut down mid-mission after signal loss

Reaction score
I took a waypoint mission in which I had considered I could lose the radio signal, and so it happened. As I learned the mission was completed and this is the positive thing. But after the radio signal was lost the app shut down. So I reopened the app, and when the signal was resumed I could view again my drone finishing the mission. So far all right. In the evening I opened the logfiles on Airdata UAV and as expected I found 2 logs, one from the beginning of mission until the signal loss, and the other from the signal resumption until the end of the mission. And here is the problem, in the second log I view that the home point has been fixed in the moment of the signal resume, that was far away from me. How can I avoid this problem? Or if the app shuts down is better not to reopen it until the end of the mission? Any ideas?

For completeness of information:

Phantom 3 Professional v1.11.20
RC 1.9.2
Litchi 4.1.1 (Android)
Nvidia Shield K1 with Lollipop 5.1 stock version
Dji Go present on tablet but not running (verified before takeoff)

My suggestion is that if you are intentionally pushing the envelope by running the drone that far, you are asking for abnormalities.

From my iOS experience, losing control signal (and usually video telemetry) causes the screen to go blank which is expected. Since the mission is loaded on the drone I know it will continue as this is one of the beauties of the Litchi app. I don't touch anything and simply wait for the control signal to return as indicated on my controller or at the top of the app. Regardless of your new homepoint being set, the drone will continue to fly the mission and finish at the last action you set (in my case hover). Homepoint would only be an issue if you cancelled the mission upon regaining control signal and hit RTH. You've identified that that wouldn't be a good idea.

Reactions: DocDiggler
Re-opening the app does nothing for you in the event of mission signal loss. As @tevek mentioned, the mission as loaded on the AC, will complete as programmed, barring a catastrophic failure of some sort.

Re-opening the app does nothing for you in the event of mission signal loss. As @tevek mentioned, the mission as loaded on the AC, will complete as programmed, barring a catastrophic failure of some sort.

Good point.....thanks. And it adds the distraction of dealing with the app too!

My suggestion is that if you are intentionally pushing the envelope by running the drone that far, you are asking for abnormalities.

No, it isn't so. It's one of the best features of Litchi, you can do a waypoint mission over the RC range, and so the drone did it without problems. My problem, if it isn't clear, is that when the signal was lost, the Litchi app shut down, but it shouldn't do it. The app must stay open until the RC signal come back.

Reactions: Pharm
From my iOS experience, losing control signal (and usually video telemetry) causes the screen to go blank which is expected. Since the mission is loaded on the drone I know it will continue as this is one of the beauties of the Litchi app. I don't touch anything and simply wait for the control signal to return as indicated on my controller or at the top of the app. Regardless of your new homepoint being set, the drone will continue to fly the mission and finish at the last action you set (in my case hover). Homepoint would only be an issue if you cancelled the mission upon regaining control signal and hit RTH. You've identified that that wouldn't be a good idea.

Exactly, everything was smooth until the end of the mission. But since at the end of the mission I continued to fly if something went wrong in this moment, and I had to use RTH, it would have gone far away...

I want to avoid this, so I wondered if someone else had the app closed in the middle of the mission and if there is a method to prevent this.

Did the Litchi app "shut down", as in an orderly fashion, or did it "crash", as in software malfunction, hardware glitch or overheated device or aliens perhaps?

You can enable "dynamic home point" and your home point will be continuously updated to your mobile device location... If you're mobile device is connected to data and location turned on. You can connect the K1 with hotspot to another device. Mostly used in follow me mode, but this would automatically reset home point to your mobile device location upon regaining signal. It can be found here...
859c9ab5a298a3149283007ace3e06fa.jpg

73301cdf8e9fa3a680e0b4d6a54df4e9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Damon0
One thing I practice is setting first and last waypoint right next to me in case something like this happens. And as it was said, hover at end of mission.

If need be the dynamic home point can be re enabled.

It should stay enabled once set. I'll check this when I get home.

No, it isn't so. It's one of the best features of Litchi, you can do a waypoint mission over the RC range, and so the drone did it without problems. My problem, if it isn't clear, is that when the signal was lost, the Litchi app shut down, but it shouldn't do it. The app must stay open until the RC signal come back.

Could be the phone could be the cord, could be anything......just assume you are going to have to actually fly black just using the controller once the Litchi mission is complete. As already stated make sure the last waypoint is near you.

You can enable "dynamic home point" and your home point will be continuously updated to your mobile device location... If you're mobile device is connected to data and location turned on. You can connect the K1 with hotspot to another device. Mostly used in follow me mode, but this would automatically reset home point to your mobile device location upon regaining signal. It can be found here...
859c9ab5a298a3149283007ace3e06fa.jpg

73301cdf8e9fa3a680e0b4d6a54df4e9.jpg
I think it can be the solution of my problem ;) thank you!

I think it can be the solution of my problem ;) thank you!
You still need to pinpoint why your app is crashing. It normally will not crash upon signal loss. I would uninstall the app, clear all cache, go to file manager and delete any Litchi folders you can find, then reinstall Litchi. Worth a shot.

You still need to pinpoint why your app is crashing. It normally will not crash upon signal loss. I would uninstall the app, clear all cache, go to file manager and delete any Litchi folders you can find, then reinstall Litchi. Worth a shot.

Of course! But at least I have a solution for the unexpected

Reactions: JohnnyB
I did notice, on my K1 yesterday when I went to fly, (haven't used the K1 much yet away from home) I had cached the map at home of where I was going to fly... It must have a GPS chip because it showed exactly where I was parked. So you don't need to be connected to data with the K1 to be able to use the dynamic home point setting. Just be sure you open maps on Litchi (at home, and connected to internet) and scroll to the place where you plan to fly.

I took a waypoint mission in which I had considered I could lose the radio signal, and so it happened. As I learned the mission was completed and this is the positive thing. But after the radio signal was lost the app shut down. So I reopened the app, and when the signal was resumed I could view again my drone finishing the mission. So far all right. In the evening I opened the logfiles on Airdata UAV and as expected I found 2 logs, one from the beginning of mission until the signal loss, and the other from the signal resumption until the end of the mission. And here is the problem, in the second log I view that the home point has been fixed in the moment of the signal resume, that was far away from me. How can I avoid this problem? Or if the app shuts down is better not to reopen it until the end of the mission? Any ideas?

The exact thing happened to me yesterday including the recording of a new waypoint. I had only lost signal for a second or two when the Litchi app shutdown. The mission did complete as planned.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20