Litchi app on Android

Forgive me if this has been answered before, I just don't have the time or inclination to go through all 20 pages as I've got an opportunity to buy a Galaxy Note 8.0 for $50.

Will this tablet work with your app? It is currently running JellyBean.

Thanks for your time!

It should work, however due to the fact that it's not a 'powerful' tablet I cannot guarantee it will work very well since the DJI development kit is quite demanding.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
It should work, however due to the fact that it's not a 'powerful' tablet I cannot guarantee it will work very well since the DJI development kit is quite demanding.

I guess I'll have to be an experimenter then. My only other device is a Samsung S4 Active and my funds are rather limited. Once purchased, will I be able to install this on more than one device or is it locked to a single device forever?

As many devices as you want as long as they use the same google account

One more question. Would it be a better idea to use my iPad2? I prefer Android devices, but if the functionality would be the same, I guess I could slum it on iOS.

Hi Kaehn, great looking app! Congratulations on your success! Your "care and feeding" of customers is laudable and seems to be appreciated by all. I don't know how you can keep up...

I do have a question: I have read the 387 previous posts, and somewhere here I seem to remember reading a response from you that Follow Me does not use Ground Station. First, is this true, and secondly, will POI also be non-GS?

Background: Here is why I ask - I have a need to run a POI that is on the outer edge of a 5 mile airport radius (no-fly zone). GS will not allow waypoints to be set in this area even though one may have an "OK" from Air Traffic Control. If your POI will not be using GS, then your app will have a tremendous sales advantage because the other apps are apparently using GS to get POI, circles, follow-me, etc.

Thanks for your time.
P2V+ / Nexus 7 2nd gen

One more question. Would it be a better idea to use my iPad2? I prefer Android devices, but if the functionality would be the same, I guess I could slum it on iOS.
We don't have an app on iOS, so no!

I do have a question: I have read the 387 previous posts, and somewhere here I seem to remember reading a response from you that Follow Me does not use Ground Station. First, is this true, and secondly, will POI also be non-GS?
Yes Follow me does not use GS waypoints and POI won't either, however they use the Ground Station API (if it sounds confusing that's because it is, it's just how DJI calls it) which makes them unusable in nofly-zones or restricted zones. And trust me I wish it would work too, as I also live right on the edge of a restricted zone, but on the wrong side which makes for long trips whenever I want to test/debug GS/Follow me/POI.
The bottom line is that autonomous modes in general can't be used in nofly zones and restricted zones.

Does anyone experience application crash (without fc) on lollipop 5.0.1? For me after some minutes of running generally while video recording screen freeze and after some seconds application come back to launcher. When i restart the application, while the bird is still in the air, gimbal horizon became tilted 15° to the right side. Then, if i move around the bird, horizon slowly come back to normal. I'm thinking about to go back to kit kat 4.4.4, i've never had a crash or issues with that android version. I've already tried to reinstall the app, wipe cache and dalvik from recovery, but nothing changes.

Unbelievably quick response. Thank you, and I do understand why it is not possible to avoid the restriction for autonomous flight. I guess I'll work around it.

I will buy this app right now in any case. You just can't find responsive service like that which you deliver on a continuous basis. Keep up the good work, you just got another fan.

We don't have an app on iOS, so no!

Can't say I blame you!

Can you answer one quick question? What mapping system does this software, or the DJI for that matter, use to represent the way-point navigation? Someone just told me they thought it was Google Maps imported but I find that hard to believe knowing that it would require a lot of CPU cycle and memory overhead to fetch that external info and incorporate it into the software unless it somehow uses a static image from the most recent map updates.

@StevenQX Not sure what the cause of these crashes is, but I was running 5.0.1 without any crashes, and now on 5.1, so far so good.

Can you answer one quick question? What mapping system does this software, or the DJI for that matter, use to represent the way-point navigation? Someone just told me they thought it was Google Maps imported but I find that hard to believe knowing that it would require a lot of CPU cycle and memory overhead to fetch that external info and incorporate it into the software unless it somehow uses a static image from the most recent map updates.
Google maps android api: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/android/

Reactions: StevenQX
@StevenQX Not sure what the cause of these crashes is, but I was running 5.0.1 without any crashes, and now on 5.1, so far so good.

Google maps android api: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/android/

So this guy was right although, he really isn't. When I asked him if it was an API request or method he said it was transferred through Android opening whatever the default browser was in the background and overlaying the maps in the app.

That sounded like pure conjecture to me.

Thank you for the answer!

Can someone here help a newcomer with this great app?

I installed and did a quick test drive - like what I see but am a little confused. The radar display orientation of the Phantom pointed north but on the map, the bird icon was pointed in the opposite direction. The map icon was correct as the bird was heading south.

At the tail end of the short flight after a hand catch, I turned the tx and my tablet to north and the icons were now in sync.

The device (Nexus 7 on 5.1.1) compass was calibrated and correct. This was disorienting and I'm not sure what I'm missing. Is there a compass or map setting I missed? Is the cached map a contributor to this?

Any thoughts? Where did i screw up? Thanks in advance.

Here is a video showing how it should work:

Last edited:
Litchi / Radar : (radar example video)

Hi Kaehn, Thanks for the response - I'm not sure if I feel more like Homer Simpson or Benny Hill... all I can think is that the differences from the stock DJI app (distances and pop-up overlay) radar just rendered me stupid... momentarily I hope.

Looking for help (again)...

Sorry, but I can't find much documentation for this app. In the screenshot below, could you tell me what the functions are for those two icons as indicated by the yellow arrows?

I see the bird and the pilot icons under the top right icon, but can't tell what their function might be?
EDIT: On DJI App, this icon is a locator so I assume it is the same.

The icon on the left does not appear on my display at all? (I am not on the Phantom's wifi at this point if that matters)

Litchi-screen.jpg

Thanks once again. The only thing on my wish list is to increase the size of the red icon in the radar, or perhaps have a pop-up expansion of the radar like the DJI app. Any chance of that happening?

P2V+ / Nexus 7 (2nd gen)

Last edited:
Looking for help (again)...

Sorry, but I can't find much documentation for this app. In the screenshot below, could you tell me what the functions are for those two icons as indicated by the yellow arrows?

I see the bird and the pilot icons under the top right icon, but can't tell what their function might be?
EDIT: On DJI App, this icon is a locator so I assume it is the same.

The icon on the left does not appear on my display at all? (I am not on the Phantom's wifi at this point if that matters)

View attachment 21333

Thanks once again. The only thing on my wish list is to increase the size of the red icon in the radar, or perhaps have a pop-up expansion of the radar like the DJI app. Any chance of that happening?

P2V+ / Nexus 7 (2nd gen)
I second that. That would be great!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z