Lightning

Reaction score
Got a ton of lightning shots, pulled from video, over the weekend. This is one of my favs. Have a cooler shot of it shooting under the drone but pulling from video, the rolling shutter got me with the upper and lower halves of different exposures.
Lightning (1).jpg

Bloody Hell..... phew ... that was scarily close, where were you standing, ( not under a tree I hope ha ha )

Big Nads mate.....

Waylander

Holy Smokes! That is awesome! Such power coming from the sky...

Bloody Hell..... phew ... that was scarily close, where were you standing, ( not under a tree I hope ha ha )

Big Nads mate.....

Waylander
I was standing inside a sunroom. I got one better than that but the rolling shutter got me on the exposure halfway through the frame. In that shot the bolt shoots directly under the drone. It was that bolt which caused me to move inside. Got about 40 good shots that day.

One of the most incredible weather shots ever! Did you notice any interference or changes to the drone after this electrical event? I had heard it was possible due to such high intensity electrical fields etc..
BTW- where was this shot?

Reactions: The Roach
One of the most incredible weather shots ever! Did you notice any interference or changes to the drone after this electrical event? I had heard it was possible due to such high intensity electrical fields etc..
BTW- where was this shot?
Nope, nothing strange. Had one bolt, in another shot, within feet of the drone and not a bit of static. Spent almost two batteries in the air filming, not a glitch.

Reactions: Coyote1
Very cool shot! I have been experimenting with using video with lightning recently. Have also had problems with the rolling shutter, particularly on very bright flashes. I'm curious if you are using 60fps for more good frames, and what sort of exposure settings you are using?

Incredible shot! Any closer it would have taken you out! Thanks for sharing!

Any chance of exposure info? FPS? Been wanting to try this, but so far too chicken...

I recall standing about 40 feet away from one lonely tree in the center of a block of land in a tiny town on the Queensland border in Australia. I was doing a TV News interview at the time and holding a Metal microphone attached to a large tripod and camera. I'm positive I felt it coming, I noticed the hairs on the back of my neck standing up seconds before it hit. That poor tree caught a direct hit and exploded as if a bomb had been planted inside it. Massive branches were thrown not far from where we were standing. I remember feeling as if something had given me a powerful punch to my body and every hair on my body tingled. It's hard to explain but obviously the explosion was the sap inside the tree suddenly expanding and blowing the tree apart. The person I was interviewing had his back to the tree, but unfortunately the camera had it out of shot because I wanted grain silos in the background. Normally I would have been closer to the tree to have it in shot to break up the background.

Lucky we weren't closer, but I do wish I'd had the tree in shot. On reviewing the tape we could see the bright flash, the AGC didn't have time to close down, but I got shots of the tree in pieces and smoke pouring out of it. That night it led the news and the real story was shown the following day. By the way, there was no rain before or after, and just as well, if the ground had been wet, I think we would have felt it a little too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.