Lighter than air aerial Cameras - NOWwhat will the Govt Do?

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the FAA will do when (and I believe it's coming) lighter than air RC airships become popular that have 4k cameras, can hover in place, have ranges of more than a mile, can travel at speeds close to 30mph etc.

As it stands now, "Lighter Than Air" RC video platforms would not need to be registered since they are "lighter than air" in the flight configuration. Would the FAA be sneaky and insist that the weight (before Helium is installed) must be the weight? What if the entire craft is still less than 250 grams with no Helium? Would overall size become the deciding factor?

Since the "guidelines" are in place, would they quickly re adjust the rules?
If safety is the concern, why should they? Hasn't everything that needs to be covered regarding sUAV's been written for the most part?

Seems that if they re-adjusted the laws to cover lighter than air RC aerial cameras it would be proof positive that safety was never the issue.

I guess I'm just skeptical of the intent of the Registration and all the laws governing hobby aircraft. Congress limited the Governments power, yet, here we are. Apparently, Congress has become beholden to the Executive branch. This was never intended.

What say you?

The writer Steve Gibson (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive) created "God's Little Toy" which is exactly what you describe, mostly for indoor or close crowd use.. I'm surprised nobody has actually made one. Long hover time. Relatively unobtrusive. Pretty safe. The ultimate selfie machine.

Keeping them inside also keeps them away from the FAA who has yet to decide that they can regulate things under the roof (that's for other three letter agencies).

Reactions: JKDSensei

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen