Life expectancy ?

Reaction score
Has DJI ever stated what the life expectancy of the motors are , I’m guessing this would be in hrs used?Just curious

Big Al...a Moderator answered that question some time ago.......Thinking back he stated the motors will out last other drone parts and I Think a properly balanced prop with sure make the bearings job quite a bit easier to do...Hopefully he will show UP here and have a few more words to add........In the mean time Drone Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn -------------->

AFAIK DJI (or no off-the-shelf sUAS manufacturer) does not list nor do they have the data to determine TBO of these aircraft motors. These units are more throw away than higher quality build airframes. It's expensive and time consuming to gather this type of data for units that are consumer grade and disposable.

With proper cleaning and inspection these motors will last many Many MANY hours. I've got some that have 700+ flights and still going strong (or as strong as I can tell). Keep in mind that I fly very conservatively and inspect/clean my aircraft meticulously.

With that being said, if I hear a motor making a new sound/noise I will investigate and probably replace ALL. If I notice a motor getting hotter than the other I will replace ALL. If I feel a motor that doesn't rotate smoothly or feels too loose I will replace ALL. I say ALL because odds are the others aren't far behind and I try to eliminate as much risk as I can from equation.

That's my 2-cents and nothing more :) YMMV

AFAIK DJI (or no off-the-shelf sUAS manufacturer) does not list nor do they have the data to determine TBO of these aircraft motors. These units are more throw away than higher quality build airframes. It's expensive and time consuming to gather this type of data for units that are consumer grade and disposable.

With proper cleaning and inspection these motors will last many Many MANY hours. I've got some that have 700+ flights and still going strong (or as strong as I can tell). Keep in mind that I fly very conservatively and inspect/clean my aircraft meticulously.

With that being said, if I hear a motor making a new sound/noise I will investigate and probably replace ALL. If I notice a motor getting hotter than the other I will replace ALL. If I feel a motor that doesn't rotate smoothly or feels too loose I will replace ALL. I say ALL because odds are the others aren't far behind and I try to eliminate as much risk as I can from equation.

Ok gotcha it makes sense, when you say you clean them what do you mean exactly , you take them apart or blow compressed air thru them or ?
I’m in good shape I only have about 1/3 of that # of flights but I don’t mind doing a little routine maintenance

If I fly in dirty/dusty areas I'll turn the aircraft upside down, rotate to motors gently and then used canned air to blow through them.

Has any of the above caused you to replace any of your motors
thanks John

Has any of the above caused you to replace any of your motors
thanks John

I've replaced motors for "Grit" in the motors from a "Landing Skids UP" landing on a Phantom. I've replaced motors on an Inspire due to one motor making a different sound all of a sudden.

The Phantom was my fault for flying backwards into a shrub and the aircraft landing props down in the dirt. The Inspire happened on a used airframe that I did not know the flight/maintenance history so I thought better safe than sorry.

A few months back I had a sudden motor failure on my P3s that caused it to crash. Number of flights over 2 and a bit years about 240 and always flown conservatively. Replace it with a new one and all good so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31