Life and Death of a Sky Lantern

Great video.

Nice movie. You were hunting a little bit at the start, but then you've got it.
THe smooth tilt at the end is hard to do and you've nailed it.
But.. isn't that a real fire hazard? :S

Impressive flying! That was a very peaceful, fun video. Nicely done. I particularly liked you circling the lantern around 1:30. That was epic with the sunset as the background. Also, I, for one, read the description in which you clearly state it's a soggy day, so little chance of fire hazard. Seems like you planned ahead and nailed an excellent clip! Great job!!

Oh my, very well done! The circling move was indeed epic.

I could see by how green everything was that there was likely no fire danger. Obviously not California.

The photography is fine, but if you did that in California, with our 3-year drought, you'd probably start a forest fire, destroy a few dozen homes, maybe kill a few people and serve about 20 years for arson, or maybe even murder. Forget the Phantom. The "sky lantern" is incredibly irresponsible.

Ya but the key invalidating word in the who statement is IF

If is one of the biggest 2 letter words in the entire English language. But even IF someone were to release a fire lantern in California even without someone filming it with a phantom would not make any difference one way or the other as to what damage could result for the fire lantern or not.

Tho I also suppose no one should fly any thing in Ca being if it ever crashed it could cause a lipo battery fire and burn the place to. But its clearly not in any place were it looks to be a tinderbox were there is much danger of any sort of forest fire.

Phantom 2, Hero 4
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice video.

So if you got a bit of string and a hook, you could reuse that puppy.
I'd like to see you catch it on the fall and bring it back... That would make an awesome flick.

And for all of you Nay-Sayers, I found this on the OP's YouTube page:
"NOTE: This video was filmed on private property under optimal flying conditions, including damp foliage from a recent rainfall, by an experienced pyro technician and drone pilot. The makers of this video DO NOT condone or recommend this activity. Please fly responsibly!" :p

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic