Licensing your phantom videos and digital images

Reaction score
I frequently get requests from a variety of organizations requesting to use images from my Phantom videos seen on Youtube. For me the aerial productions are just a hobby but it's getting to the point where I feel like I need something in writing. Just to be clear - this is not a situation where I am contracted by a client to shoot footage. I did a Google search and found some example agreements but the documents just didn't fit my situation. Of course I can do some editing, but I would like to see some examples of licensing agreements if anyone is doing this, or perhaps point me to a resource on the web.

It seems you are an excellent photographer. Teach us good tips and show us how and what did you adjust to get such great results.

Never sign for an open ended deal with anyone. This world is not so straight as it appears. Even you got to be cautious not to add any commercial tunes to your YouTube videos, someone may be waiting to nab you for sake of money.

I am just enhancing, blending and making it more presentable and eye appealing for them. I charge nothing, but get more experienced. I could always get pictures from my Adobe account (they give so many a month free as a subscriber), and work with them. But it isn't the same as when someone asks if I can take a photo and brighten the flowers in the distance, or a myriad of other things, and do it for them. I get no money, and it is all free on my end.

you could give me your videos as a gift, then i license the videos and you sell me one expensive empty envelope per video :)

I frequently get requests from a variety of organizations requesting to use images from my Phantom videos seen on Youtube. For me the aerial productions are just a hobby but it's getting to the point where I feel like I need something in writing. Just to be clear - this is not a situation where I am contracted by a client to shoot footage. I did a Google search and found some example agreements but the documents just didn't fit my situation. Of course I can do some editing, but I would like to see some examples of licensing agreements if anyone is doing this, or perhaps point me to a resource on the web.

what is your youtube channel?

Be very, very careful, gcoxusa.

The rules have changed even in the last few months. Letting anyone "use" your footage (as a gift, no charge, for free) immediately takes us out of the "hobbyist" category whether we realize it or not. As it stands now... as soon as "money is made"... directly or indirectly...the rules change. e.g. You "give" your footage to say a company that specializes in farming irrigation. That company then uses your footage to promote their business. Then technically revenue is or can be generated as a result of the aerial footage. So that footage must be or have been obtained from a drone pilot with a 333 exemption from the FAA. (Stinks I know but it is what it is.)

If a whistle is blown the "company" just has to ceses and desist using the footage. However the FAA can come after the pilot. Please understand I'm certainly not trying to be a Negative Nancy about this. I would just hate for anyone to get into hot water, or worse...fined, because they were simply unaware of the current FAA rulings.

Here's what "unauthorized flights" - meaning without a 333 exemption - could get you...
FAA seeks record $1.9 million fine from drone company SkyPan

Last edited:
I am just enhancing, blending and making it more presentable and eye appealing for them. I charge nothing, but get more experienced. I could always get pictures from my Adobe account (they give so many a month free as a subscriber), and work with them. But it isn't the same as when someone asks if I can take a photo and brighten the flowers in the distance, or a myriad of other things, and do it for them. I get no money, and it is all free on my end.
If the videos are used for any commercial, scientific, or support of a non-profit, you are no longer a hobby flyer. Doesnt matter if you get paid or not.

It seems you are an excellent photographer. Teach us good tips and show us how and what did you adjust to get such great results.

Never sign for an open ended deal with anyone. This world is not so straight as it appears. Even you got to be cautious not to add any commercial tunes to your YouTube videos, someone may be waiting to nab you for sake of money.

I think the interest in my videos comes mainly from my focus on sites that are, or could be, historic landmarks. No doubt there is much I could do to improve them - but a popular one seems to be:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It is rather difficult to make an old building look exciting or interesting, so sometimes you have to fly fast and/or close and be sure to provide an establishing shot before you get close.

I do the best I can to avoid people - not just for safety reasons - I don't like people in my footage. Like when I flew over the Naval Academy I made sure they were closed. When I flew over Fort McHenry over a year ago I was "politely" informed by the park rangers that there was a new moratorium against drones over national parks issued by their director (like I got that memo). So I removed that video. Disclaimer... I am not suggesting that anyone do this, but the historic registry does provide some ideas. At least for me - it beats watching a flight over my neighborhood.

When I flew over the Basilica in Washington D.C. some guy wanted to make and sell postcards from the image because he knew the Pope was coming. I did not get involved in that, and frankly was not interested in making pocket change. I was more concerned with my rights to my work.

I think the interest in my videos comes mainly from my focus on sites that are, or could be, historic landmarks. No doubt there is much I could do to improve them - but a popular one seems to be:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It is rather difficult to make an old building look exciting or interesting, so sometimes you have to fly fast and/or close and be sure to provide an establishing shot before you get close.

I do the best I can to avoid people - not just for safety reasons - I don't like people in my footage. Like when I flew over the Naval Academy I made sure they were closed. When I flew over Fort McHenry over a year ago I was "politely" informed by the park rangers that there was a new moratorium against drones over national parks issued by their director (like I got that memo). So I removed that video. Disclaimer... I am not suggesting that anyone do this, but the historic registry does provide some ideas. At least for me - it beats watching a flight over my neighborhood.

When I flew over the Basilica in Washington D.C. some guy wanted to make and sell postcards from the image because he knew the Pope was coming. I did not get involved in that, and frankly was not interested in making pocket change. I was more concerned with my rights to my work.

Glad to hear from such a responsible pilot. It's a breath of fresh air actually. If you use a tiny ghosted watermark on your videos intro, outtro or entirety, this makes it public knowledge and gives you legal recourse should anyone try to use your work without permission. e.g. "©2016 gcoxusa. All rights reserved." By doing this you're not "licensing" the video. You're simply saying, "I shot this, it's not royalty free footage, do not use or duplicate in anyway."

Last edited:
Reactions: grottoli
If the videos are used for any commercial, scientific, or support of a non-profit, you are no longer a hobby flyer. Doesnt matter if you get paid or not.

I am not using them, just enhancing them for the person, sending them back to them and not using them at all. Not sure how anyone or the government can say that making a sky bluer in a picture for someone is commercializing. What they do with it, I could not care less since it is their photo to begin with, and incumbent on them to be culpable for their actions. It is their photo and they have the final say-so, not me.

If that is the case as you say, many cities have photos of people arrested on their website. If what you are saying is true, they are in violation for using photos. And if that is the case, why could the person with the mugshot not sue the jail? Makes no sense if someone takes a photo, and posts it. And if this is the case, wouldn't everyone putting a photo on this site be in violation? I am trying to learn. I am not using the photos, only sending it back, but have not enhanced a picture from anyone.

But if someone on here asks, "What is the best case to buy? What is the best filter to buy? And if someone posts a photo of an item, with a link, aren't they in essence no longer a novice, and violating what you are saying? Taking a picture, and recommending something and doing anything as you say, would make them a professional photographer. As you described, "used for any commercial, scientific, or support of a non-profit," you are no longer a hobbyist.

I am not using them, just enhancing them for the person, sending them back to them and not using them at all. Not sure how anyone or the government can say that making a sky bluer in a picture for someone is commercializing. What they do with it, I could not care less since it is their photo to begin with, and incumbent on them to be culpable for their actions. It is their photo and they have the final say-so, not me.

If that is the case as you say, many cities have photos of people arrested on their website. If what you are saying is true, they are in violation for using photos. And if that is the case, why could the person with the mugshot not sue the jail? Makes no sense if someone takes a photo, and posts it. And if this is the case, wouldn't everyone putting a photo on this site be in violation? I am trying to learn. I am not using the photos, only sending it back, but have not enhanced a picture from anyone.

But if someone on here asks, "What is the best case to buy? What is the best filter to buy? And if someone posts a photo of an item, with a link, aren't they in essence no longer a novice, and violating what you are saying? Taking a picture, and recommending something and doing anything as you say, would make them a professional photographer. As you described, "used for any commercial, scientific, or support of a non-profit," you are no longer a hobbyist.

I think all these response are directed at the OP not you.

Reactions: CThruU
I am not using them, just enhancing them for the person, sending them back to them and not using them at all.
Right. So, there is no issue with what you're proposing

I am sorry Sir, I apologize. Still learning these posts, but wanted to clarify, thank you.
The comment was actually directed toward you. Perhaps mistakenly though.

I am curious about the statement defining a hobby flyer... what is your resource for that idea?
Does that come from the FAA, or the IRS, or perhaps a court case?
If I would no longer be a hobby flyer - then what am I ... a business?
I suspect the IRS would throw a fit if I wrote off the cost of my Phantom while not generating money.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic