License by weight = Injustice?

Reaction score
I was watching a TV presenting a new 249g drone. Of course, all new drones for the average consumer will be less than 250g to avoid having to get the license to fly. Soon, there will be much more 249-g drones flying around than 250+g drones and, to me, these are even more dangerous because they are smaller and therefore harder to see. I mean, the DJI Mini 2 is almost half the size of my Phantom 4.

So people like myself must go through learning all the stuff required to do the test, pay for the test and pay for registration. People with new drones: None of these.

I believe weight is irrelevant and see this as an injustice. I wrote to Transport Canada and, as expected, didn't get any reply.

Less weight, less damage I guess? I think the government was trying to draw a line from the multitude of toys which normally don't go over 300 ft. It can get overwhelming and governments have enough on their hands anyway. If there was a problem, I'm sure they would quickly do something. Nothing too major has happened with the millions of drones out there now. Most reports, seem to be made up. One example is the Gatwick airport incident.

Reactions: MTO
I was watching a TV presenting a new 249g drone. Of course, all new drones for the average consumer will be less than 250g to avoid having to get the license to fly. Soon, there will be much more 249-g drones flying around than 250+g drones and, to me, these are even more dangerous because they are smaller and therefore harder to see. I mean, the DJI Mini 2 is almost half the size of my Phantom 4.

So people like myself must go through learning all the stuff required to do the test, pay for the test and pay for registration. People with new drones: None of these.

I believe weight is irrelevant and see this as an injustice. I wrote to Transport Canada and, as expected, didn't get any reply.
Perhaps it's because the heavier drones can do more damage when they crash into people, cars or other objects? It may seem like the difference between 249g and 250 g is insignificant and it probably is, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

If a bird (I mean a real flesh and blood bird) can make a plane go down, I don't see why a Mini 2 can't.

One of the main reason why drone pilots got hit by this license requirement is mainly because of irresponsible people flying their drone near airports or at very high altitudes where planes can fly. They will again be able to do it but with 249g drones.

Makes me think to sell my P4 and buy a Mini 2.

Why in the flippin heck would you want to try to add more restrictions on drones.
Don't be a selfish ***.
I live in Canada too and have my p4p+ and is registered along with the new license.
I also have the new mini2
How stupid to work against our freedom to fly mind your own business the government already thinks for you.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I guess it all boils down to rules and regulations put in place because of stupid, inconsiderate and irresponsible actions of some people who possibly may not have the brain power to know ahead of time that what they are going to do is going to put people and property at a high risk of injury or perhaps even death. You can believe it happens a lot. Just because you and I don't see it or are otherwise made aware of it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's like the tree that falls half way across the country. Just because you didn't hear or see it fall, it doesn't mean it didn't fall. I wouldn't blame the government for trying to put restrictions in place that protect people and property. It's unfortunate that they have to do it. If everybody was responsible enough to do and act in a safe intelligent manner, then these rules wouldn't be necessary. Why is it that many people don't like to be told they have to operate in a safe and responsible manner. Does it indicate that they don't feel they should be considerate of other people and property? Don't forget there wasn't a law against robbing banks until after the first bank was robbed. Can you imagine what our roads would be like if there weren't any laws governing how people must drive on the roads? I don't hear anyone complaining about the Highway traffic Act and how restrictive it is. I'll bet each and every one of us on this forum drive our motor vehicles on the roads much more than we fly our drones in the sky. Just my two cents worth here. All my own opinion.

There is a point of over regulation/laws, which bog down things in bureaucratic red tape and became inefficient. People need to use their heads and use common sense and quit having the government think for them.

Yep, responsible people having to suffer the consequences of irresponsible people. Nothing new, unfortunately. Not the first time and certainly not the last.

Why in the flippin heck would you want to try to add more restrictions on drones.
Don't be a selfish ***.
I live in Canada too and have my p4p+ and is registered along with the new license.
I also have the new mini2
How stupid to work against our freedom to fly mind your own business the government already thinks for you.

First, please read point #2 of Community Rules

Second, who said I want to add more restrictions on 249g drones and not want to lower down restrictions on 250+g drones? I'm just expressing an opinion on something I see as possibly being an injustice, nothing more. No need to throw public insults.

I'd move... maybe Mexico. Do what ever you want but stop crying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic