Liability Insurance Coverage

Reaction score
I am looking for some affordable liability insurance. I am an FAA Part 107 licensed pilot. I don't fly commercially for a living, but have had several job offers. I would like to have some coverage, just in case the inevitable happens. I was looking at the Verifly app. or a membership with the AMA. I would like to see what you all own, and the pros and cons of your insurance. Thanks all... fly safe!!!

Al Barboza

I am looking for some affordable liability insurance. I am an FAA Part 107 licensed pilot. I don't fly commercially for a living, but have had several job offers. I would like to have some coverage, just in case the inevitable happens. I was looking at the Verifly app. or a membership with the AMA. I would like to see what you all own, and the pros and cons of your insurance. Thanks all... fly safe!!!

Al Barboza
AMA is a plus, however, their coverage is supplemental to any other insurance. Read the fine print on the AMA website.

Regardless of insurance, AMA membership is a plus on your resume if you're going to go commercial.

I'm strictly hobby but like you, I've had offers but do not wish to take the plunge. Nevertheless, I saved this bookmark for when I'm ready. Drone Insurance Guide: How to Get Liability Coverage

Reactions: BigAl07
My company (environmental consulting firm with 50 employees) has a $1,000,000 drone liability insurance policy that costs $900.00 per year through Cincinnati Casualty Company. Also regarding AMA membership being a "plus" for commercial work, we've never had a client ask us if our drone pilots are AMA members. Commercial clients care about the following:

- Drone liability insurance
- FAA Part 107 Certificate
- Safety record
- Written drone safety and flight procedure policy
- Examples of past aerial imaging projects

My company (environmental consulting firm with 50 employees) has a $1,000,000 drone liability insurance policy that costs $900.00 per year through Cincinnati Casualty Company. Also regarding AMA membership being a "plus" for commercial work, we've never had a client ask us if our drone pilots are AMA members. Commercial clients care about the following:

- Safety record

Great if you're a company that large. But if you're an independent operator trying to make a buck on the side, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have that AMA logo on your business card!

- Safety record

Hi interested in topic although asking from outside USA. When you say Drone Liability Insurance do you mean insurance against hurting someone? (Vs hurting your own drone) ie do you mean PI insurance?
Thanks

Have you seen Verifly.com.
I'm in the same situation as you are. I do real estate work on occasion . You can get insured as needed on the fly (no pun intended). Most areas are 10 dollars for 1 million dollars insurance for 1 hour and covers you within a quarter mile of take off location. Prices vary for increased insurance and area. It's a smartphone app and you can initiate at the location or set in up in advance.

I use a State Farm Personal Articles Binder for the drone which covers damage to the aircraft ($60 per year for $3,000 coverage), and Verifly for Liability insurance. Note that with Verifly, you are not covered for property that you own, rent, use or is otherwise under your control.

Reactions: teelions
Hi interested in topic although asking from outside USA. When you say Drone Liability Insurance do you mean insurance against hurting someone? (Vs hurting your own drone) ie do you mean PI insurance?
Thanks
Yes, Liability Insurance for the unlikely event it causes significant damage to persons or property.

Reactions: Loz

Al Barboza
I wanted liability insurance for my drone also. I just fly for fun but still, stuff happens. So I called my state farm agent and they were totally useless. Sure if I fly it from my yard its covered by my home owners insurance. But when away from home I have no coverage.

I wanted liability insurance for my drone also. I just fly for fun but still, stuff happens. So I called my state farm agent and they were totally useless. Sure if I fly it from my yard its covered by my home owners insurance. But when away from home I have no coverage.
Join the AMA.

Do you mean insurance for the drone itself? That isn't liability insurance. In my previous post, I mentioned a "State Farm Personal Articles Binder for the drone which covers damage to the aircraft ($60 per year for $3,000 coverage)"

Perhaps your agent was thinking liability instead of personal articles. Also, I made my request through the State Farm website in the form of a message to my agent. That may have helped; not sure.

OK. I'm almost brand new to drones. I have been playing with a $80 drone just for fun with my grandson. I am looking at the Phantom 4 just for fun but for better performance and pictures. I have to ask, what is AMA?

My Statefarm policy is useless if I am flying a commercial mission.

Does regular AMA membership provide liability for commercial operations?

I looked at the AMA site and membership with them only provides liability insurance for non business (hobby) activities.

The State Farm Personal Article Policies also do not cover drones if they are being used for commercial activities.

I use Verify as well for liability since this is a part time gig for me. I have not found a reasonable hull coverage for drones when used commercially in a part time manner.

If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

My Statefarm policy is useless if I am flying a commercial mission.

Does regular AMA membership provide liability for commercial operations?
No, I believe they have a separate program for part 107 holders. Check out their website.

OK. I'm almost brand new to drones. I have been playing with a $80 drone just for fun with my grandson. I am looking at the Phantom 4 just for fun but for better performance and pictures. I have to ask, what is AMA?
You can check out the benefits including $2.5 million liability coverage here: Join AMA Today

No, I believe they have a separate program for part 107 holders. Check out their website.
Found it, they don’t make it easy to find.

They quoted $500 for a million dollar liability policy and 7% per $1000 of hull coverage.

Hello,

My name is Joe Ernster and I am an aviation insurance broker that specializes in commercial UAS insurance. I was a main contributor to the UAV Coach Insurance Guide that @LarBear360 shared above - Drone Insurance Guide: How to Get Liability Coverage.

A big thank you goes out to Joe Ernster of Bullock Agency, Inc. for providing us with this list and in-depth information regarding types of coverage.

I currently insure 300+ commercial UAS operations all over the USA. @aab1973 please contact me if you would like more information or a quote.

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster
[email protected]
Get A Free Online Commercial UAS Insurance Quote Now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic