Lesser known no fly zones

airmap.io has I think the best listing of NFZ and TFR's out there (including the monteray bay zone).

And I don't get why someone would suggest ignoring the monteray bay letter, NOAA has several protected areas along the west coast (Monteray Bay, Pacific Coast Marine park, etc) but their restrictions on flight are like tiny 3 miles zones, with large zones on either side where you are free to fly.

Look, I get the lure of wanting to fly everywhere, but it isn't like staying out of their 4 zones (which total like, 1% of the total Californai coastline) is that big of a deal.

And as you noted, there are like 45 condor's left. Even if you are "in the right" and in a legal zone to fly, if you hit one of those birds the fines, jail time, and public haranging that will happen to you will know no end... not worth the hassle. Just obey the laws. If everyone starts doing whatever they "think" is right, we really aren't going to be allowed to fly anywhere. But if everyone can follow the rules, maybe they will start allowing us to fly in limited areas at specific times because we have shown we can be trusted with responsibility. Don't ruin it for everyone.

Thanks, only one I have found that lists the sanctuary. If only they had an app

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Isn't Hover powered by airmap though?

Yes but we seam to be locked into only showing major airports, no options. The airman website has about 15 different categories you can have displayed, there is allot more stuff out there than just what hover shows.
6b8d6b5c50604bb3bf7a338e12d39770.jpg
643aaa4fab31ed5044868b6fe5b737c3.jpg

I just don't understand why the FAA app (or some other one) can't be the DEFINITIVE map for NFZ's? Does not seem all that hard to do and would be a lot easier to police. If an officer comes over to you flying says it's not okay to fly in that area, but the "official" map app says you can, it would solve a lot of conflicts, no?

It would also be helpful to others in the public who had a question about it-you could simply show them FAA approved app/map and show them how it works and how cool your drone is!

I just don't understand why the FAA app (or some other one) can't be the DEFINITIVE map for NFZ's? Does not seem all that hard to do and would be a lot easier to police. If an officer comes over to you flying says it's not okay to fly in that area, but the "official" map app says you can, it would solve a lot of conflicts, no?

It would also be helpful to others in the public who had a question about it-you could simply show them FAA approved app/map and show them how it works and how cool your drone is!
But the FAA app doesn't have the marine sanctuary, or that boxy airspace over Carmel valley that the Monterey airport flys in very low and over a large area. I was flying just outside that boxy area and a small passenger plane came in at about 500 ft high about a half mile from my bird, not anywhere near, but still close enough I lowered down to like within 50 feet of the hill I was flying over just to be safe.
a71e1f2fb1e32de6f1d3aab545e2c6d9.jpg

airmap.io has I think the best listing of NFZ and TFR's out there (including the monteray bay zone).

I would like to think so. But if that's true, why does the hospital helipad radius only extend to the edge of the parking lot, when FAA says it should extend five miles?

I think everyone flying UAS should learn to read FAA sectional charts and NOTAMS. There are many special rules that dont show up on B4UFLY or AirMap. The site SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts is great for sectional maps. You can also download PDFs from the FAA and documents on how to read and interpret them.

From the Sectional, you can tell the Airspace class, the NFZs, and if you notice there is a TFR starting in 10 hours in the area for VIP movement (which there are a lot during the presidential campaign). I looked on B4UFLY and they dont show that TFR.

Untitled.jpg

Can someone explain to me. The b4ufly on helipads at hospitals. What do you do to fly? What does it all mean?

Can someone explain to me. The b4ufly on helipads at hospitals. What do you do to fly? What does it all mean?

Myself, I fly anyway just not at 400'. Hospital Heli-pads are for Life flights (medical emergencies) so the chance of me seeing a helicopter are really pretty slim. If I paid attention to all the hospital heli-pads in the Chicago area, I would not be able to fly.

On a side note, there is a cook county forest preserve model airplane flying field less than 5 miles from Lansing airport. You can't tell me some of these big RC model airplanes are less dangerous than a drone, yet they still can fly there. You do need to have an AMA membership, so the $2.5 million liability insurance should cover you.

Myself, I fly anyway just not at 400'. Hospital Heli-pads are for Life flights (medical emergencies) so the chance of me seeing a helicopter are really pretty slim. If I paid attention to all the hospital heli-pads in the Chicago area, I would not be able to fly.

On a side note, there is a cook county forest preserve model airplane flying field less than 5 miles from Lansing airport. You can't tell me some of these big RC model airplanes are less dangerous than a drone, yet they still can fly there. You do need to have an AMA membership, so the $2.5 million liability insurance should cover you.

Why I ask is the app a few weeks ago displayed 5 mile cir. Around all heli pads now it just shows the icons so I feel better now

Why I ask is the app a few weeks ago displayed 5 mile cir. Around all heli pads now it just shows the icons so I feel better now

Android version of B4UFLY still shows the 5 mile radius around all the hospital heli-pads in my area. Are you on an ios app?

On the iPhone app it only shows the circle around it if you're physically close enough to it on the map you can still tap on the icon to make all the circles pop up everywhere

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl