lens hood....good or bad idea ?

Reaction score
just received my combo pack, gimbal guard,lens cap/gimbal clamp and lens hood. does anyone use lens hoods ? would it be hard on the gimbal with the extra weight and size hanging out front ? is there any real benefit for a weekend flyer ?

Some users have had issues with the added weight, you can always fashion some means to add additional weight to the back of the camera if need be.

The benefits are reduced lens flare and improved contrast where a bright light source (most often sun) is close to being in frame.

Personally I like lens flare, if I can't avoid it I endeavour to make a feature out of it.

I run all my terestial lenses (with the exception of fish-eye) with the hoods fitted though, the contrast improvements are real. I don't have any hoods for the phantoms, principally because I expet it would be too fiddly and I don't like the idea of potentially having glitches in the video where the gimble is struggling to work with one fitted.

I use CPL and ND filters. I find it best to calibrate the gimbal every time I change or remove filters. Reason for this is I find the gimbal does a weird shake if I don't.

And you have to remove them to put the lenses cap/gimbal lock on,,you'll be pushing and pulling on the gimbal constantly,,I'm. With Darren good filters for your environment,,and leave it,polar pro makes the lenses and gimbal lock/lenses cap to fit over them,,
4387ec64e93ed115a66ed6e65d007929.jpg

The gimbal initialization will cause the lens hood to touch the ground, unless the add-on raised landing gear is used.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel