LED mount, battery compartment mod

Reaction score
Made a new part to extend the battery compartment towards the rear of the Phantom. Removed the USB cable and mounted the USB mini socket where it would be accessible from outside. Overall it was a net loss of about 6 grams. Now I am able to get longer batteries in the Phantom with the weight shifted more to the back to balance the camera and gimbal. Had to lenghthen the cable that connected to the NAZA. I will be filling in the seams with glue and may remove the screws.

Attachments

• DSC06948.jpg
    DSC06948.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC06950.jpg
    DSC06950.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 696
  • DSC06927.jpg
    DSC06927.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 704
Cool ... Looks like a 3d printed part ? Would you provide us the the stl file to print it ?

TheFlyingSentinel said:
Cool ... Looks like a 3d printed part ? Would you provide us the the stl file to print it ?
It is a 3d printed part. I had to change it a bit to get it to match up right with the contours of the Phantom shell. I also had to enlarge the cutout for the mini USB socket. I will try to modify the 3d model, upload it to Shapeways and make it public so others can order it.

syotr said:
TheFlyingSentinel said:
It is a 3d printed part. I had to change it a bit to get it to match up right with the contours of the Phantom shell. I also had to enlarge the cutout for the mini USB socket. I will try to modify the 3d model, upload it to Shapeways and make it public so others can order it.

Put it on thingiverse.com, so everybody can print it?

Looks nice! Where have you found longer Phantom batteries? What about the battery contacts inside the Phantom? Are you planning to ditch Phantom batteries altogether? If so, did you make a door for where the Phantom battery normally covers?

Also, what wattage LED did you use? Is it brighter than the multi-LED circular device designed to go there? Sorry for all the questions! Thank you for sharing the file!

I have several batteries that are a bit longer than the Phantom battery including, Maddog, Thunder Power, Dinogy, and Mjultistar. They range from 2700 to 4000 mAh. This modification was for a Phantom 1 so no change to the contacts or front battery door.
This uses the original LED/USB module but I had to lengthen the wires.

This is a great idea. :D

I don't typically cruise General Discussion expecting to find great stuff like this for the Phantom 1 & FC40.

syotr said:
I have several batteries that are a bit longer than the Phantom battery including, Maddog, Thunder Power, Dinogy, and Mjultistar. They range from 2700 to 4000 mAh. This modification was for a Phantom 1 so no change to the contacts or front battery door.
This uses the original LED/USB module but I had to lengthen the wires.

Now it makes sense! What is your maximum flight times versus flight time with stock batteries? Also, what additional load are you carrying. I have a P1, hence my questions. There is a 3D printed part, that allows for two factory batteries. Although, I see no reason that bigger batteries couldn't be used.

In your second post, you said you wanted to sell your 3D part. Having a 3D printer, I realize the effort involved in making a useable part. So hats off to you for making your product free. I'm sure you will still sell many. :) :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor