Latest Firmware Update for P4P - Apr 12

@lickitysplit I went into it wasn't worried about losing it in there I have keys. I thought you were it was a no fly zone and you could not get your drone in or around it. I guess it's just a no fly zone that you have to obey.

Reactions: KingDad1985
On Saturday (yesterday), I installed DJI Go 4 on my Google Nexus 7 II, then installed the latest DJI firmware on my P4P, and flew 3 times using DJI Go 4 as my control platform. The first flight, I had various connection problems. I could detail those problems, since I recorded the screen video of the entire flight, but after that first flight I uninstalled Litchi, and then had no connection problems on the 2nd and 3rd flights. As I've said before, I don't know how the interaction between DJI Go 4 and Litchi works, and I don't know why neither of them will work properly if both are installed on your Android device. My reason for wanting to see if removing (uninstalling) Litchi would fix the DJI Go 4 connection problems was that some of the new color profiles looked intriguing enough that I wanted to be able to use them if at all possible.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the new color profiles are actually new, rather than being the old profiles with new names. I'm thinking that videographers more knowledgeable than myself might be able to figure out for sure which of the profiles, if any, are different from previous DJI color profiles.

On my first flight, I recorded video using every one of the 13 color profiles. The names are: None, True Color, D-Cinelike, D-Log, Film, B&W, Cool, Twilight, Pale, Old Photo, Warm, Blue, Blockbuster. The D-Log profile, incidentally, is still locked at 500 ISO.

After reviewing the video from my first flight, the profile named Film looked particularly interesting to me, so that's what I used for the second flight.

Video from the second flight, "Film" color setting, no color grading in post. Style settings -1, 0, 0. 4K/30, shutter 1/60, ND16 filter, white balance 5200K (Sunny), aperture 4.0, ISO 100, H.264, MP4 file format:

I've been using cinelike and grading. It seems pretty good ad highlight recovery. I try to shoot at 100 ISO, and f5.6 or one stop in either direction. I believe the sweet spot of the lens to be around 5.6. H254 and 4k 25 with 1/50 as the shutter speed.
My colour settings were -1,-3,-2

Grading is quite simple. Just a bit of a bump to the miss, knocked the highlights down and small tweaks to the mids and shadows. Bumped in a little more saturation and done.
I could have probably used a higher ND because I'm not overly happy with the sky but I'm pretty pleased with it.

Went out yesterday and shot with those settings and an nd4

Reactions: Bigbells
I've been using cinelike and grading. It seems pretty good ad highlight recovery. I try to shoot at 100 ISO, and f5.6 or one stop in either direction. I believe the sweet spot of the lens to be around 5.6. H254 and 4k 25 with 1/50 as the shutter speed.
My colour settings were -1,-3,-2
Nice shooting, Inkytog! I hope you don't mind me saying that I see some moire or aliasing (I'm unclear about the difference between the two) in the roofline of the big building and in the big parking lot. I realize that might be due to the YouTube compression.

Cinelike was what I was using the most prior to experimenting with "Film". I had started using -1, 0, 0 style settings instead of -1, -3, -2 in order to have footage that was usually good enough for "as is" use without grading. I was also using D-Log fairly often, which for me is a good way to learn about grading.

I could be off my rocker, but my impression is that color profile "None" is now different and better than it was before. "Old Film" is another profile that seems promising to me and I'll be trying it soon.

Nice shooting, Inkytog! I hope you don't mind me saying that I see some moire or aliasing (I'm unclear about the difference between the two) in the roofline of the big building and in the big parking lot. I realize that might be due to the YouTube compression.

Cinelike was what I was using the most prior to experimenting with "Film". I had started using -1, 0, 0 style settings instead of -1, -3, -2 in order to have footage that was usually good enough for "as is" use without grading. I was also using D-Log fairly often, which for me is a good way to learn about grading.

I could be off my rocker, but my impression is that color profile "None" is now different and better than it was before. "Old Film" is another profile that seems promising to me and I'll be trying it soon.

Never noticed the roofline thing. I'll take a closer look.

For me I always grade - even a small amount and I've seen so many issues with d log that I just don't think it's worth playing around with. I tend to archive my favourite shots and I'd rather keep them as ungraded as possible.

Reactions: Bigbells
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone that has issues with the Jerking frames has updated the firmware and tested to see if this is the cure??
Cheers

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone that has issues with the Jerking frames has updated the firmware and tested to see if this is the cure??
Cheers
Are you talking about video that seems to continuously jump ahead and jump back during playback, making it basically unviewable?

Yeah that's the one. Really frustrating.
To the best of my knowledge, and from my own experience, herky-jerky display of video recorded by the P4P is not caused by DJI firmware, and therefore it can't be remedied by DJI firmware.

The video is not actually herky-jerky, but the video file has more information in it than your computer's video display and/or graphics hardware can handle, so it DISPLAYS as being herky-jerky. I have processed a fair number of such videos, where I'm unable to properly view, pre-processing, the video straight from the micro-SD card on my own desktop computer. The first time this happened, I thought the video was corrupted, but it was not. In my case, this occurs with every video that I record in 4K/60. I think it also occurs with videos that I record in 1080p/120, but I don't remember for sure. After rendering by my video editor on the same computer, the file size is reduced, which results in the video playing smoothly, the way it should. It's still a 4K/60 video, but it's somewhere around one-fifth of the original size as measured in MB.

Reactions: watermancpt
Has anyone had any issues with the latest update that came out today? I am all nervous to update because my 3 week old P4P is behaving perfectly, lol
Hey, I'm like you, especially after having a P2V# v.3 fly away on the first flight after doing a firmware "upgrade."

My DJI motto now is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

BTW, I have an "old" P2V. I made the remote control antenna upgrade to a TP-Link 5dB one. That flies so much better with the fairly simple mod. Flew it yesterday, in fact, noted it was receiving 14 "birds."

I also have another P2V+ v.3, which has antenna mods for both the drone and for the XT. It also has better flying, i. e. stable, characteristics. It has the older firmware, and I ain't changing!

To the best of my knowledge, and from my own experience, herky-jerky display of video recorded by the P4P is not caused by DJI firmware, and therefore it can't be remedied by DJI firmware.

The video is not actually herky-jerky, but the video file has more information in it than your computer's video display and/or graphics hardware can handle, so it DISPLAYS as being herky-jerky. I have processed a fair number of such videos, where I'm unable to properly view, pre-processing, the video straight from the micro-SD card on my own desktop computer. The first time this happened, I thought the video was corrupted, but it was not. In my case, this occurs with every video that I record in 4K/60. I think it also occurs with videos that I record in 1080p/120, but I don't remember for sure. After rendering by my video editor on the same computer, the file size is reduced, which results in the video playing smoothly, the way it should. It's still a 4K/60 video, but it's somewhere around one-fifth of the original size as measured in MB.

I was also thinking along the same lines until I tried the video on so many other devices. A friend has a current model Samsung 4K TV that plays his 4K footage from his p4 like a dream, use my video and it's issue is instantly noticeable. I also have tried on my parents current model iMac with the 5k screen and second fastest graphics card and the video looks atrocious so I really am unsure. Seems to only happen in 4K (all frame rates) and 1080/120. Apparently it's a skipping of frames while recording.

I was also thinking along the same lines until I tried the video on so many other devices. A friend has a current model Samsung 4K TV that plays his 4K footage from his p4 like a dream, use my video and it's issue is instantly noticeable. I also have tried on my parents current model iMac with the 5k screen and second fastest graphics card and the video looks atrocious so I really am unsure. Seems to only happen in 4K (all frame rates) and 1080/120. Apparently it's a skipping of frames while recording.
But if it was just skipping frames, all of the jerks would be forward and none would be backward.

How about an experiment, as follows?

Upload approximately 1 minute of the footage to Google or Dropbox so that I can download it from there.
Message me with the location of the footage.
I will then render the footage without doing any other adjustments to it, upload it in 4K/60 to YouTube, and post the link here.

There's a know issue in P4P that repeat frames between seconds when you record in 4K60, and the result are the "jerky" video. I didn't try to replicate the problem because I never record in 60FPS, but I've read a lot of people with this problem.

This problem is caused by firmware, but in this last update the problem has been fixed. All of this it's what I read in this forum, try to record 4K60 with the new firmware!

Well, I just did the update--went out to test it and got a compass error. Tried to calibrate it 4 times and it wouldn't calibrate properly. Have not had an issue prior to the update.

There's a know issue in P4P that repeat frames between seconds when you record in 4K60, and the result are the "jerky" video. I didn't try to replicate the problem because I never record in 60FPS, but I've read a lot of people with this problem.

This problem is caused by firmware, but in this last update the problem has been fixed. All of this it's what I read in this forum, try to record 4K60 with the new firmware!
I'll give 4K/60 a try with the new firmware, but I was able to record in 4K/60 with the old firmware, even though I couldn't properly view the video until after I'd rendered it with my video editor.

Repetition of frames explains a lack of smoothness but it doesn't explain video appearing to go backwards.

I am having an odd issue. When I record I get a message that says "writing slowly" its very intermittent and does not matter what card I am using. Record operations seem a little sluggish to start and stop with 2 and 4K mode for me.

On Saturday (yesterday), I installed DJI Go 4 on my Google Nexus 7 II, then installed the latest DJI firmware on my P4P, and flew 3 times using DJI Go 4 as my control platform. The first flight, I had various connection problems. I could detail those problems, since I recorded the screen video of the entire flight, but after that first flight I uninstalled Litchi, and then had no connection problems on the 2nd and 3rd flights. As I've said before, I don't know how the interaction between DJI Go 4 and Litchi works, and I don't know why neither of them will work properly if both are installed on your Android device. My reason for wanting to see if removing (uninstalling) Litchi would fix the DJI Go 4 connection problems was that some of the new color profiles looked intriguing enough that I wanted to be able to use them if at all possible.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the new color profiles are actually new, rather than being the old profiles with new names. I'm thinking that videographers more knowledgeable than myself might be able to figure out for sure which of the profiles, if any, are different from previous DJI color profiles.

On my first flight, I recorded video using every one of the 13 color profiles. The names are: None, True Color, D-Cinelike, D-Log, Film, B&W, Cool, Twilight, Pale, Old Photo, Warm, Blue, Blockbuster. The D-Log profile, incidentally, is still locked at 500 ISO.

After reviewing the video from my first flight, the profile named Film looked particularly interesting to me, so that's what I used for the second flight.

Video from the second flight, "Film" color setting, no color grading in post. Style settings -1, 0, 0. 4K/30, shutter 1/60, ND16 filter, white balance 5200K (Sunny), aperture 4.0, ISO 100, H.264, MP4 file format:

Love your post, and your clip,
You rock-star you! [emoji106][emoji1]

Reactions: Bigbells and J.T.
Love your post, and your clip,
You rock-star you! [emoji106][emoji1]
Thank you very much. Here is a video I recorded yesterday, showing more of the latest P4P color profiles, along with another dance, which I've been putting in 90% of my most recent 100 Phantom videos. I've got a huge number of fans of my videos, and all 3 of them are disappointed if there's no dance. Well, time to go flying again, see ya later!

Reactions: Mier

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures