"Large Magnetic Disturbances" on VFR Sectional Chart

Reaction score
Hope to be flying in a location that, on the charts, says "Large magnetic disturbances at sea level have been reported have been reported in the vicinity".

What, if anything do I need to worry about/plan for?

Hope to be flying in a location that, on the charts, says "Large magnetic disturbances at sea level have been reported have been reported in the vicinity".

Worry about losing your drone. Plan to fly somewhere else!

You won't notice anything different.

In a duplicate thread the OP mentioned that there is a possible 6 degree error reported at/near the site. Since you don't actually fly specific headings it is doubtful there would be any impact.
If there would be any mag. significance you should see an Error or Warning message.

If you do fly there please report back to confirm or refute the popular belief.

In a duplicate thread the OP mentioned that there is a possible 6 degree error reported at/near the site. Since you don't actually fly specific headings it is doubtful there would be any impact.
If there would be any mag. significance you should see an Error or Warning message.

If you do fly there please report back to confirm or refute the popular belief.

Googling has not led me to understand where that popular belief comes from.
The specific 6 degrees is at another site that I will not be attempting to fly at - just trying to figure out the impact - should have been clearer.....sorry.
Will do some more research and if I do fly where the magnetic interference has been reported, will report back.
Thank you for your input.

Did I ask a crazy question?
I am hoping so, so that I can fly.
There is a difference between true north and magnetic north and the difference varies depending on where you are on the earth.
i-BhLvWQB-L.jpg

You've found a point on the map where a local magnetic anomaly has been reported.
All that means is that navigators in that area need to be aware that the magnetic variation in that location is a few degrees different from the surrounding area.
Since magnetic variation doesn't matter to Phantom flyers (you can fly anywhere in the world without worrying about magnetic variation), you won't see any adverse effects on your Phantom if you fly there.

Reactions: Skynet1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4