Landing Precision - Helipad

Reaction score
Got a Phantom 3 Pro. Did the calibration. Took off using the "lift off" button. After flying for couple minutes tried to land using the H option.

It does not come back to the spot it took off from. Its off by at least 6 to 8 feet.

Anyone else seen this?

Reaction score
Yes thats quite normal, my P3 has never landed exactly on the same spot. Its usually off by a meter or two.

Capt KO

Capt KO
Reaction score
The P4 is capable of precision landing by taking a picture of the takeoff location. Otherwise it's often off by a few feet.

Reaction score
That bugged me at the start too. Now, if the landing point or descent is critical I alway do it manually. From where I take off in the garden the wander is enough for it to go into trees etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rdof5 and Pursuer
Reaction score
That bugged me at the start too. Now, if the landing point or descent is critical I alway do it manually. From where I take off in the garden the wander is enough for it to go into trees etc.
I find that autolanding lands abit too fast with an abrupt touchdown and bounce which has always concerned me with the camera and gimbal. I always land manually now to both land exactly where I want and as softly as I want. And if i cant land someplace safe and level or if it suddenly gets windy I'll just hand catch it to be safe.

Reaction score
I find that autolanding lands abit too fast with an abrupt touchdown and bounce which has always concerned me with the camera and gimbal. I always land manually now to both land exactly where I want and as softly as I want. And if i cant land someplace safe and level or if it suddenly gets windy I'll just hand catch it to be safe.
Ditto on all scores.

Reaction score
Would it be possible to autoland P4P on a square 1m plate laying on the water?
Would you do that?

Reaction score
My P4P would normally do that, providing you did a "precision" takeoff.

Also, providing that your floating 1 meter square doesn't drift somewhere in the water, which seems pretty likely. Even calm water is seldom motionless.

Meta4

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Would it be possible to autoland P4P on a square 1m plate laying on the water?
Would you do that?
You can try, but it probably won't work.
Water has no constant features for precision landing to recognise.
i-wdx88K6-M.jpg

Meta4

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
It does not come back to the spot it took off from. Its off by at least 6 to 8 feet.
That's quite normal because that's within the expected accuracy for consumer GPS.
Sometimes it will be a bit closer, but it could even be a little further away.
It's good practice to pick a launch spot clear of nearby obstacles to allow for this.

If you want pinpoint RTH landing precision, you need a P4 or later, as they have a precision landing feature using optical technology.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brotherb3