Landing Gear Skid Stabilizer Extender Protector

Hand catching seems the way to go.... Read some horror stories of the aircraft turning over when landing...
I've flipped mine twice. Once was my second flight and just me being an idiot (no need to go into detail), second time trying to land on a tupperware lid and missing with one leg. No damage other than the wife laughing at me. I mostly hand catch now.

The skids came with a drone package that I purchased. There's nothing unique about them. They look like every other skid that I've seen for sale.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S7

I bought a set to try out, used once and removed them. They tend to drift into frame when turning and gently at that. I will probably replace them or at least give a try to a longer leg extension set. Mind that there are two types of these extension legs, one just has longer legs but the other has a bracing strut about 1" from foot.
Reason I want them is for ground clearance for the gimbal at take off & landing to keep out of grass and such and not for the supposedly more stable, wider footprint. This looks like a decent value pack with struts, plate and lens cover for £9
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0191DR...UTF8&colid=2I53S3YQ9D7QA&coliid=IM82JDPBJ6GM8

IMG_9327.JPG
Hello Widowmaker
I have the black ones for my P3A and they raise the drone to give better clearance to the camera and add quite a bit of stability when taking-off or landing, especially if it's windy.

For my P4, I made my own extenders from spare gimble locks clips and they are wonderful. Here's a pic. I also made a gimble protector using CF rods. I do not normally use the prop guards...I just put them on for the picture.

IMG_9341.JPG
View attachment 72709 Hello Widowmaker
I have the black ones for my P3A and they raise the drone to give better clearance to the camera and add quite a bit of stability when taking-off or landing, especially if it's windy.

For my P4, I made my own extenders from spare gimble locks clips and they are wonderful. Here's a pic. I also made a gimble protector using CF rods. I do not normally use the prop guards...I just put them on for the picture.

Here is a better picture of the landing gear extenders

Hi Glen, perhaps I can help with your research of prop guards. I bought these on Amazon and they work great and DO NOT disable the obstacle avoidance systems. The listing says they are blue but they are actually white. XCSOURCE Prop Guards Quick Release Snap On/off Propeller Bumper Protector Tool-free for DJI Phantom 4 (Blue)

One other thing. Inside the holes where the prop guards go, there are two tiny white plastic bumps that you have to file down or you can't get the guards into their slots. I just used a small jewellers file and filed them all down flat inside of a few minutes. You'll see them after you push out the clear plastic filler pieces in the guard slots.

Bud

I have a pair here, but I'm not gonna put them on. I don't like that I must take them up to put my drone away, and they go on rather stiff. I agree the hand catch is the way to go. Still researching propguards

was wondering if the clip on Landing Gear Skid Stabilizer was worth using? They make the landing gear bigger and seems more stable?

I am using the foam "water pipe" insulation - the stuff with a split to fit over pipes. I bought the smallest diameter - think it was around 3/8" - works great and gives the Phantom a lot of stability on landings.

They are split already - so all you do is cut to length - use electrical tape or ties to secure and you're done.

I do prefer "hand catching" however most times!

P11XB6-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: alokbhargava
I never have and never will hand catch unless it was the only way to avoid injury or serious damage to my drone. Since I learned to shut down the props by holding down the throttle I have had no tip overs of any sort no damage and no broken props. It still makes me nervous watching guys catch their drones!
OK so start telling me why I'm wrong and why catch if you can land normally.
Be gentle!

Sent from my SM-G920I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl