Landing gear in video

Reaction score
I took my P3P for it's maiden voyage yesterday and everything went well. When I got back to view the videos, I noticed that the landing gear made it into the shot (as well as the props/arms). In watching other peoples videos, I notice that the props occasionally appear at the top, but never see the actual arm. I have yet to see someone's landing gear in the video, though.

So, my question is there something wrong with the gimbal drifting too much and not staying centered? Or am I just banking too hard (which is possible, but this happened on soft turns as well)? When just walking around the house with the copter, I notice that the gimbal will almost lock onto an object and when I turn the copter, it stays for a second before focusing forward (I believe this is how the landing gear is making it in the shot). Is this normal? I imagined the the gimbal would do a better job staying centered. It does make a slight grind sound if I tilt the copter too far to the left or right.

The guard is off as well as the white foam, so nothing is there that shouldn't be.

Thanks!

For starters, tilt the camera a little more downwards. This will remove the arm and props from the angle. If its crucial to have the video you already shot, go ahead and shoot 4k, then crop it down and render in 1080 and you will retain quality.

Thanks for the quick response. I figured that could be the issue with the props but I'm still surprised about the landing gear. Guess I should get a few more flights under my belt and see if it's still an issue after some practice.

I'm not worried about keeping the video, just trying to learn the ins and outs!

The landing gear usually shows with quick yaw movement.....is that when you're seeing the legs?

For starters, tilt the camera a little more downwards. This will remove the arm and props from the angle. If its crucial to have the video you already shot, go ahead and shoot 4k, then crop it down and render in 1080 and you will retain quality.
Jacob where do U fly from?

Me too, do you know Lee wondering if you fixed his bird? Maybe we can fly together i Fly from katy area fry rd

What software do you prefer for post-process?

What software do you prefer for post-process?
Personally use FCPX, but I would recommend Adobe PP as well. If you are just starting out in editing, go with iMovie on Mac or Windows movie maker on PC.

Reactions: jlo
Personally use FCPX, but I would recommend Adobe PP as well. If you are just starting out in editing, go with iMovie on Mac or Windows movie maker on PC.

Thank you Jacob, your advise is appreciated.

is There any possibility to limit the gimbal not to see landing gear on vids or shots?
No. Landing gear is normally never seen in the camera field of view.
If you see you landing gear, it could mean very strong change in flight course.
There is the possibility to limit the gimbal to look above the horizon (0 to +30° area), but not bellow (0 to -90° area).

Check if your gimbal setting is not set to FPV, for video, it should be in FOLLOW mode.
Screenshot_2015-09-19-11-13-36.png

You will see your props guard (if you have some) easily if you push the stick fully or if the wind is strong and the P3 has to tilt a lot to keep in place.
You will see from time to time the motor arm if you go full speed and without wind when it accelerate.
So if your priority is to have a nice video, go smooth with the sticks and flight as slow as possible.
If you see horizontal line, shadow of your propellers, use some ND filter to slow down the shutter of the camera and/or obviously try to keep the sun on the back of the sides of the P3.

I took my P3P for it's maiden voyage yesterday and everything went well. When I got back to view the videos, I noticed that the landing gear made it into the shot (as well as the props/arms). In watching other peoples videos, I notice that the props occasionally appear at the top, but never see the actual arm. I have yet to see someone's landing gear in the video, though.

The guard is off as well as the white foam, so nothing is there that shouldn't be.

Thanks!

Hey

I am in precisely the same situation. I just invested 3 thousand dollars in a DJI3 pro setup for a research project. I just came back from a trip after trying for a long time to find the animals. Now watching this unique video i am schocked. I see the left landing gear in the picture all the fu... time. I am actually rather shocked by this. It ruins unique footage, and its obvious that this is simply a very very basic design flaw that they just did not care to solve, before putting the drone on the market. The solution is embarresingly easy. Widen the distance between the legs, problem solved.... Now I am stuck with a 3 thousand dollar investment that does the job, in a half poor way.

I can not recommend this drone.

Jake

Hey

I am in precisely the same situation. I just invested 3 thousand dollars in a DJI3 pro setup for a research project. I just came back from a trip after trying for a long time to find the animals. Now watching this unique video i am schocked. I see the left landing gear in the picture all the fu... time. I am actually rather shocked by this. It ruins unique footage, and its obvious that this is simply a very very basic design flaw that they just did not care to solve, before putting the drone on the market. The solution is embarresingly easy. Widen the distance between the legs, problem solved.... Now I am stuck with a 3 thousand dollar investment that does the job, in a half poor way.

I can not recommend this drone.

Jake

You never looked at your footage after taking it? All it would take is some minor adjustment to the gimbal (ex moving it a few degrees to teh right)

You never looked at your footage after taking it? All it would take is some minor adjustment to the gimbal (ex moving it a few degrees to teh right)
Yeahh i looked now after coming back from the trip, and there i see a lot of landing gear. If it can be fixed i will be very happy, but it clearly should not be possible to end up with the landing gear in the picture.

When I did the recordings its very difficult to see what is going on, lots of light, fast moving animals. But off course once i review the footage its very clear. But if it can be fixed, great. It clearly is a suboptimal design.

Jake

Movie maker is terrible. On a PC I use Pinnacle Studio 18, costs $60 to $130 depending on what you want. It's been pretty good for basic editing with sound-title overlays, transitions, etc.

I see the props quite often - I actually like the effect but tilt the camera down and they go away. I have NEVER seen the landing gear though - either something needs adjusting or it is a faulty gimbal?

I see the props quite often - I actually like the effect but tilt the camera down and they go away. I have NEVER seen the landing gear though - either something needs adjusting or it is a faulty gimbal?

hmm thats interesting for me it happened A LOT always when i was "strafing" left at speed

... no it's not .. you will see the landing gear when push hard the bird and force it to move to the right/left with a yaw turn !!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31