Landing at home when out of range with a P3 controller

Reaction score
I just got a new P3 GL300B remote controller.

I just tested my maximum distance with my original GL300C controller.

Now, I've linked my P3 controller and was wondering, before I do this next distance run. Do I need to worry about it coming home automatically, when it goes out of range?

I did not notice the popup that says setting home point, when I took off. But, when I told it to go home, it did.

Now, I've linked my P3 controller and was wondering, before I do this next distance run. Do I need to worry about it coming home automatically, when it goes out of range?
That's what a Phantom is programmed to do if you lose control signal (not just video signal)
It should return if it isn't stopped by headwinds, obstacles etc.
If you are concerned, try it out in a big open area by switching the controller off and see how it works.
I did not notice the popup that says setting home point, when I took off. But, when I told it to go home, it did.
Turn up the volume and you should hear your copilot telling you The homepoint has been recorded, please check it on the map"
You can always confirm by looking at the map and the distance from home indication.

One of my biggest concerns when I first bought my P3 back in June was how it would return home. Where I live up in the Rockies my home is surrounded by very tall trees. I wondered if it would start descending as it got closer to home which would put it into my trees so I drove to a friends house that also was up at 8,000' ASL but was surrounded by flat ground. It was a real learning experiment when I tried it out for the first time! It came back from over a mile away up at my set 121 meters high to right above my home point and it stopped in a very high hover, descended vertically, landed, and shut down withing 2 feet from where it took off from. As the months passed I bought a P4 and the first time I actually lost a signal it immediately ascended to my set 121 meters (396') and I and a friend watched in amazement as it came back into view, flew over my house, descended vertically close to the very tall trees, and landed right on my landing pad, inches from it's T.O. point. Since then I operate within 5 to 10' from tall trees! If set up properly and calibrated I fully trust the RTH feature and have used it well over 20 times!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.