LA - drone with fireworks lands on building

Reaction score
As soon as the ad reared it’s ugly head when i clicked on the video link, I shut it off. Sorry, I don’t participate in that type of advertising B.S.
Am I disappointed that I didn’t get to see the rest of the video? That would be a No.

Didn't even click on it myself. Just read a little. Some a$$hole thought it'd be funny, now those of us who obey the laws will pay the price. You can't fix stupid.

Idiots that make legal drone flying suspect

The hobby will be killed by idiots. The only possible answer is self enforcement. Being a snitch is no fun. But the alternative is being restricted to flying fields.
Ham Radio is pretty much a self enforced hobby. And highly regulated by the FCC. Are there idiots? Yes, but not to any high level as far as I can see.
See something? Report it. My best answer.

Have fun....banking and yanking?

The hobby will be killed by idiots. The only possible answer is self enforcement. Being a snitch is no fun. But the alternative is being restricted to flying fields

Here’s another “alternative” for you.... how about pushing back on some of these ridiculous “laws” and hold the politicians and bureaucrats accountable to justify them with hard data instead of endless what ifs??

The hobby will be killed by idiots. The only possible answer is self enforcement. Being a snitch is no fun. But the alternative is being restricted to flying fields.
Ham Radio is pretty much a self enforced hobby. And highly regulated by the FCC. Are there idiots? Yes, but not to any high level as far as I can see.
See something? Report it. My best answer.

Have fun....banking and yanking?

I love banking and yanking.

It's the reason I keep my P2 flying as it has true Manual mode.
It takes skill to fly non-FC assisted or equipped aircraft.

Reactions: ArmyVet
Here’s another “alternative” for you.... how about pushing back on some of these ridiculous “laws” and hold the politicians and bureaucrats accountable to justify them with hard data instead of endless what ifs??

No problem there. But you have to be organised to do that. So go start a " drone hobbyist support organization " and we can do both. Power in numbers. The AMA is not going to help. They want you to support local clubs and flying fields.
Have fun....Turning and burning.

FYI. SC recently passed one of those "laws" in the house. I sent a letter to the representative that sponsored it and to my senator. Basically, I told him that the state has no jurisdicton on where I fly. Only the FAA has that. The representative answered with gobblygook. He never addressed my issues. When I tried to hold his feet to the fire. He stopped communicating. So what do I do? We have no organization to muster voting power.

FYI. SC recently passed one of those "laws" in the house. I sent a letter to the representative that sponsored it and to my senator. Basically, I told him that the state has no jurisdicton on where I fly. Only the FAA has that. The representative answered with gobblygook. He never addressed my issues. When I tried to hold his feet to the fire. He stopped communicating. So what do I do? We have no organization to muster voting power.
The ‘ol catch all boiler plate letter. Ain’t they grand?
In the beginning I had high hopes for large community forums like this one (and sister sites) to become an advocate force but those were dashed years ago.

Reactions: ArmyVet
I sent a letter to the representative that sponsored it and to my senator. Basically, I told him that the state has no jurisdicton on where I fly. Only the FAA has that.

You made error error there. A significant one.

The entity which has jurisdiction of the land can prevent you from flying FROM said land. Once airborne the FAA THEN has authority.

Are you suggesting you can't prevent me from flying FROM (trespassing on) your property?

A better understanding of the laws would go a long way to help your cause
Your letter may have sounded like gobblygook to them as well.

Last edited:
You made error error there. A significant one.

The entity which has jurisdiction of the land can prevent you from flying FROM said land. Once airborne the FAA THEN has authority.

Are you suggesting you can't prevent me from flying FROM (trespassing on) your property?

A better understanding of the laws would go a long way to help your cause
Your letter may have sounded like gobblygook to them as well.

No, actually I did not make a mistake. And yes, I do understand the difference.

The english language is wonderful and precise method of communicating.

I wrote "I told him that the state has no jurisdiction on where I fly." Never said land or takeoff.

Instead of sniping, try reading.

God this forum is full of snipes!

Gone!!!!!!

Fine, your statement is not clear.
You're relying on ambiguity which you have clearly pointed out.

My response does not appear to be any different than:
"Basically, I told him that the state has no jurisdicton on where I fly. Only the FAA has that."

Fine, your statement is not clear.
You're hiding behind ambiguity.

My response does not appear to be any different than:
"Basically, I told him that the state has no jurisdiction on where I fly. Only the FAA has that."

I can guarantee you, I do not hide behind anything.

I did not send a copy of my entire letter on this posting. I merely sent a one liner to indicate what my letter was about. You immediately misconstrued my word "fly" to mean all aspects of enjoying the hobby of drones.

I guess you could also say I did not tell the representative about lipo battery maintenance.

Just to make it easy on you.

Here is a snippet of what I actually sent in my email:

"Why is the Senate using valuable time and energy on a subject that is not in their jurisdiction?

My notes for your information:

In the USA the Federal Aviation Administration FAA has the sole authority to regulate all "Navigable airspace", exclusively determining the rules and requirements for its use.

All working Airports are already under a 5 mile restriction as a “No Fly Zone”. Including of course military bases. SRS is covered under a NFZ at this time by the FAA.

Please see the attached document from the FAA and the link below:

FAA Issues Fact Sheet on State and Local UAS Laws

Yes, I am a drone hobbyist. My ultimate issue is that municipalities and now states are creating confusion with unnecessary and misleading laws and regulations. What was the rationale for this legislation? Was due diligence performed ?

I am very concerned about the ignorant minority of Drone flyers that abuse the privilege and fly in a dangerous and illegal manner. But duplication of laws and regulation is not the answer.

Thank You for your time and attention."

No problem there. But you have to be organized to do that. So go start a " drone hobbyist support organization " and we can do both. Power in numbers. The AMA is not going to help. They want you to support local clubs and flying fields.
Have fun....Turning and burning.
Local clubs and flying fields are fine for fixed wing. Drones are meant to fly "anywhere." We need a national ACDA, American Camera Drone Association. Anyone have any idea how to do that? All I know is it would have to be a 503c non-profit organization.

Reactions: ArmyVet and Basspig
Local clubs and flying fields are fine for fixed wing. Drones are meant to fly "anywhere." We need a national ACDA, American Camera Drone Association. Anyone have any idea how to do that? All I know is it would have to be a 503c non-profit organization.

Well there is always google as to how to do anything hahaha.

I agree with you of course. That is what I have been preaching ;)

Volunteers anyone........? I think that maybe a large vendor, supplier, forums and or manufacturer would be appropriate. Only a USA based organizations. Definitely not Chinese based. ughhh.

I do have some attorneys on "retainer". Not volunteering, but I will make some inquiries.

In the meantime I will start collecting dues..........:p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20