Just wants to go up and away

Reaction score
I haven't used my drone in a bit, but the last 2 attempts, it seems it just wants to go up and leave me. I did the compass dance before each flight. I got it back down, the first time fighting with it and the second time by using failsafe. I brought it home, calibrated everything via the computer again. I tried running it now without props and it seems like it's going to do the same thing. I start the motors and push up, then they just start to rev up faster as if it's going to do the same thing. Not sure if that is an accurate test or not, but it seemed like my safest option. I have another remote here, so I paired them and seems like it's exactly the same. When I ran it before without props, I don't remember it trying to accelerate.

This thing has worked flawlessly since I got it. Now I'm scared to fly.

Hello,
There can be a lot of variables with your issue!
1) how is your battery? ( each cell level? )
2) what are your MOD VALUES?

Do not fly anymore until we get it fixed.

( put fresh batteries, or fully charge your Tx )

First hook TX to RC ASSISTANT,
Calibrate both toggles, both sticks, and dial wheel ( if avail ) TAKING NOTE, that each toggle, stick, and dial wheel have FULL MOVEMENT, in assistant.
( this will reset your Tx back to factory fresh )

Ok if all goes well there,
Than hook phantom to PC ASSISTANT.
( again always FULLY CHARGED BATTERIES, bird Tx and extender )

Now
Go page by page, make sure all settings are correct, then when you reach RC tab, calibrate your TX here again ( again all toggles sticks and dial wheel ) again taking note that each channel ( stick, toggle and dial wheel ) has movement in assistant!

This will rule out Tx issues, as well as calibrate your Tx to the phantom!

Now under advanced
What are your mod values for ( accelerometer, Gyroscope, and compass? )
Taking note you are getting values for each, and that they are fairly stable ( not jumping around ) or ( out of range ) gyroscope and accelerometer should be close to 0, and compass should be from 700-2,500 range ( if I remember right )

Write these down, and get back to me ( or screen shot the pages and post back )

I think it could be bad battery initiating return to home after takeoff, or ACCELEROMETER issue.

Gyroscope: measures rotating movement ( or YAW TYPE movements, like an old vinyl record would spin while it played )
accelerometer : measure straight movements
(Up-down, left-right, Forward-reverse )
Compass: measures where you are in earths magnetic field

IMU = INERTIAL ( movement ) MEASURING UNIT.

The IMU , receives measurements from the Gyroscope, Accelerometer, and Compass, to keep it stable and still, it receives these signals and creates a MOD VALUE, for each
( MOD means MODDUS, or absolute value )
The mod value is the AVERAGE of the values received from the gyroscope, accelerometer, and compass , and acts on this new Absolute value, so if any of these are off, can cause a serious issue!

Let me know
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: Bister
Hello,
There can be a lot of variables with your issue!
1) how is your battery? ( each cell level? )
2) what are your MOD VALUES?

Do not fly anymore until we get it fixed.

( put fresh batteries, or fully charge your Tx )

First hook TX to RC ASSISTANT,
Calibrate both toggles, both sticks, and dial wheel ( if avail ) TAKING NOTE, that each toggle, stick, and dial wheel have FULL MOVEMENT, in assistant.
( this will reset your Tx back to factory fresh )

Ok if all goes well there,
Than hook phantom to PC ASSISTANT.
( again always FULLY CHARGED BATTERIES, bird Tx and extender )

Now
Go page by page, make sure all settings are correct, then when you reach RC tab, calibrate your TX here again ( again all toggles sticks and dial wheel ) again taking note that each channel ( stick, toggle and dial wheel ) has movement in assistant!

This will rule out Tx issues, as well as calibrate your Tx to the phantom!

Now under advanced
What are your mod values for ( accelerometer, Gyroscope, and compass? )
Taking note you are getting values for each, and that they are fairly stable ( not jumping around ) or ( out of range ) gyroscope and accelerometer should be close to 0, and compass should be from 700-2,500 range ( if I remember right )

Write these down, and get back to me ( or screen shot the pages and post back )

I think it could be bad battery initiating return to home after takeoff, or ACCELEROMETER issue.

Gyroscope: measures rotating movement ( or YAW TYPE movements, like an old vinyl record would spin while it played )
accelerometer : measure straight movements
(Up-down, left-right, Forward-reverse )
Compass: measures where you are in earths magnetic field

IMU = INERTIAL ( movement ) MEASURING UNIT.

The IMU , receives measurements from the Gyroscope, Accelerometer, and Compass, to keep it stable and still, it receives these signals and creates a MOD VALUE, for each
( MOD means MODDUS, or absolute value )
The mod value is the AVERAGE of the values received from the gyroscope, accelerometer, and compass , and acts on this new Absolute value, so if any of these are off, can cause a serious issue!

Let me know
J Dot
:cool:
I did most of that. Calibrated the bird and TX via the computer. The bird doesn't intiate RTH, I did to get it back. My batteries are good all the way around. All 3 scary flights now were on different batteries. Failsafe always heads it back home. First time, I though my up stick was sticking.

I took it out in the middle of nowhere (and I mean nowhere, I live in the prairies of Saskatchewan lol ) and flew it again. It did it a bit but seemed to settle in back to normal. From your post, I'm guessing if it's anything, it will be the Accelerometer if anything. When it did it again, I got it to start coming down but when I let go it kept coming down for a bit more than normal. It's like it doesn't know its altitude at times. Played with it for the whole battery and it seems good now.

I'll double check the values again when I get a chance.

Then once you get it back to normal, never calibrate anything again (unless u take it hundreds of miles away to fly). My p2v3+ was last calibrated around in 2012. Don't mess with it if it works.

Then once you get it back to normal, never calibrate anything again (unless u take it hundreds of miles away to fly). My p2v3+ was last calibrated around in 2012. Don't mess with it if it works.
Lol. I agree with you. I haven't done anything if it was flying good. It sat for about 10 months at least since the last flight, other than cycling my batteries a bit. I was surprised it goofed up. I would fly more if I had a new one without the goofy fisheye lens, I just don't have time to lens correct the photos nor want to lay out the extra cash. I'm more into photos now than video. Video are to time consuming for me to make something watchable right now. Still like, just don't have the time.

Reactions: yorlik
...I start the motors and push up, then they just start to rev up faster...
That's normal. Pushing up on the stick (assuming you meant the left stick since that's the one you'd normally push "up") is SUPPOSED to rev the motors. Otherwise, it wouldn't climb.

If you push "up" on both sticks when flying, it's GOING to climb and move away from you (as you described) because that's what you're "telling" it to do.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I guess I wasn't real clear, it kept reving up faster even after I let go of the left stick (up). That's what it did while flying, like the stick was stuck, and when pulling it down, it was like it was fighting itself, more
Iike it was holding altitude vs coming down. Hard to explain, happened fast and was just trying not to loose it. I'm glad I found out failsafe worked the second time it happened. I flipped to failsafe and when I got closer, I took control again and landed, at that point it seemed ok. I never fly around people or stuff anymore. So, hopefully it keeps working ok. I don't fly much, but not ready to quit yet. Lol.

But seemed ok the last of the flight.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Reactions: Pharm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl