Just bought a Phantom 4 Pro

We have tested the drone in 100 degree heat in Tennessee , the day the of the totality and only experienced a 5 degree temp increase after several flights.

We have tested it for 26 minutes and than another 20 minutes in a torrential downpour and temps are not an issue of any kind as we have not blocked the vents but used bi level system that we developed to alow the water to cascade over the top of the drone as compared to letting the water slide down the drone, this is why we did not cover the entire drone as that would not have provided a bi level system.

So the Wetsuit allows the drone to negotiate water in a way that does not allow water to get in the drone, this was are goal and to do it in the most clever way we could.

The Wet Suit uses a 3m adhesive glue that cleans up beautifully with some goo gone , as far as the vent go they are not covered , what we have done is create a bi level allowing any rain to cascade over the top of it so no temperature change, and of course we have done tests showing that the 3 part system we developed to negotiate water is only now weighing 3.5 oz which has been exceptional.

As to the ability of the drone to float , we created a Surge Ring for the bottom of the unit where most of the water intake takes place and that has greatly increased the time the drone can stay in the water .

Because the Wet Suit for the Phantom 4 not only protects the Drone from Torrential Rain and Snow it also provides impact protection to the drone.

We have sold hundreds already and several news teams have come back and ordered more than one. its a thrilling new product for the Phantom 4 Series that only enhances everything the DJI already did to make it an all weather drone.

We think by having an all weather drone it puts the Phantom 4 back on top of the food chain over any other drone.

[

BEING LOGICAL IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING SMART ! Knowing more . The data is not missing, it just never been an issue.

There is a reason whey DJI and APPLE use aluminum to withstand constant heat. The back of my Thunderbolt displays runs 110 degrees all day long for close to 3 years now with out ever being shut off.
The DJI Motors ran at about 96 to 105 degrees for 30 minutes, If we run them 3 times exchanging batteries we get the same temps. If we run them 4 times in a row we can sometimes if its 100 degrees outside get them to 120 degrees which is nothing .

Bottom line they are designed to run incredibly hot without issues of any kind and that is why DJI chose that material to house the motors in..

If we go to the extreme and take the PROPS while we run the engines we get the same 96 to 105 degrees which we could run all day long.

For those wondering if we close off the vents , we do not, the vents are not closed off, we just made it much more difficult for the water to get in.

Below is some information as to why DJI AND APPLE use this amazing material to negotiate heat.

LONG LIVE DJI ALUMINUM MOTORS AND THERE AMAZING ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE INCREDIBLE HEAT TEMPS:

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 2.27.10 PM.png

Last edited:
As to the ability of the drone to float , we created a Sure Ring for the bottom of the unit where most of the water intake takes place and that has greatly increased the time the drone can stay in the water .
Does this mean the drone will sink after a few minutes? I understand the drone is ruined, I don't care about that, I just need to retrieve it without scuba gear so I can get DJI to replace it under REFRESH.

I wonder if the cracks by the motors are from high heat if flying too long at one stretch.
I only have two batteries so about 20-40 min is my limit (usually 15 min at a time)
Had my P4 for two years and its still perfect.

Does your wetsuit make the craft float? If yes, I deem that feature as very key for pilots that have REFRESH policies for their drone, and they fly over water all the time. DJI covers water damage with their refresh policy, but you have to return the craft, so retrieval is essential. Weighing 5oz isn't much to insure the craft won't sink, assuming the suit floats the craft.

It appears this suit sticks on with two sided tape, which means it cannot be removed when not needed, correct? When removed, does it leave any tape residue on the craft, or does it come off clean?

I would not endorse plugging up the ventilation of the motor vents as shown below. This will make motors run hotter, having no air flow. Have you done heat testing, measuring the motor temp after similar flights with a laser temp gun, with and without these vent plugs?
View attachment 88961

Those aren't vent holes. They're just for weight reduction. Those holes have zero airflow with the props on. You have an aluminum cased motor with a giant fan blowing on it any time it's running. Heat isn't going to be an issue ever.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Those aren't vent holes. They're just for weight reduction. Those holes have zero airflow with the props on. You have an aluminum cased motor with a giant fan blowing on it any time it's running. Heat isn't going to be an issue ever.
You'd rather keep that heat inside the motor with no way to exit?

You're suggesting the motors were not designed for heat to escape these openings on the motor, using the side air draft to help pull the heat out? That's pretty ridiculous claim, "just for weight reduction, zero airflow". You can believe that if you like, but any logical mind will think otherwise.

You'd rather keep that heat inside the motor with no way to exit?

You're suggesting the motors were not designed for heat to escape these openings on the motor, using the side air draft to help pull the heat out? That's pretty ridiculous claim, "just for weight reduction, zero airflow". You can believe that if you like, but any logical mind will think otherwise.

The heat is conducted through the highly heat conductive body of the motor. That's how it's dissipating the majority of its heat. Not through some tiny holes that have no actual way to directionally pump air through the motor.

The heat is conducted through the highly heat conductive body of the motor. That's how it's dissipating the majority of its heat. Not through some tiny holes that have no actual way to directionally pump air through the motor.
Believe that if you like.

The downward draft from the props create a vacuum that pull heat out the side vents. The vents on the top allow fresh air to enter, sucked in to displace the heated air exiting the side vents. The motor turning contributes to the movement of air through the armature, with centrifugal force, an internal rotary fan effect.

I think the vendor should post his heat findings of identical flights, using a laser temperature gun to measure the motor case temperature with and without the plugs, measured in ambient flight temperatures of 40F to 100F. The temperature difference may be OK when flying in temps of 50F and below. But I highly doubt it's acceptable at 100F ambient. The actual data should be shared, and not imply it's OK to fly with those vents plugged up in any temperature. There should be an advised temperature limit to use the motor plugs. I think that's the responsible thing to do. The fact this data is missing makes this issue suspect.

Last edited:

We agree that heat is never going to be an issue ,

The downward draft from the props create a vacuum that pull heat out the side vents. The vents on the top allow fresh air to enter, sucked in to displace the heated air exiting the side vents. The motor turning contributes to the movement of air through the armature, with centrifugal force, an internal rotary fan effect.

I think the vendor should post his heat findings of identical flights, using a laser temperature gun to measure the motor case temperature with and without the plugs, measured in ambient flight temperatures of 40F to 100F. The temperature difference may be OK when flying in temps of 50F and below. But I highly doubt it's acceptable at 100F ambient. The actual data should be shared, and not imply it's OK to fly with those vents plugged up in any temperature. There should be an advised temperature limit to use the motor plugs. I think that's the responsible thing to do. The fact this data is missing makes this issue suspect.

BEING LOGICAL IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING SMART ! Knowing more . The data is not missing, it just never been an issue.

There is a reason whey DJI and APPLE use aluminum to withstand constant heat. The back of my Thunderbolt displays runs 110 degrees all day long for close to 3 years now with out ever being shut off.
The DJI Motors ran at about 96 to 105 degrees for 30 minutes, If we run them 3 times exchanging batteries we get the same temps. If we run them 4 times in a row we can sometimes if its 100 degrees outside get them to 120 degrees which is nothing .

Bottom line they are designed to run incredibly hot without issues of any kind and that is why DJI chose that material to house the motors in..

If we go to the extreme and take the PROPS while we run the engines we get the same 96 to 105 degrees which we could run all day long.

For those wondering if we close off the vents , we do not, the vents are not closed off, we just made it much more difficult for the water to get in.

Below is some information as to why DJI AND APPLE use this amazing material to negotiate heat.

LONG LIVE DJI ALUMINUM MOTORS AND THERE AMAZING ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE INCREDIBLE HEAT TEMPS:

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 2.27.10 PM.png

View attachment 89073

It doesn't matter how you believe air moves through the motor. I've flown up to 4 batteries back to back in 100F+ weather and the motors aren't ever more than warm to the touch. I have RC planes with motors that have been getting pushed to 180F+ for YEARS without issue.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Good info, but need to understand more. You say DJI motors run 96 to 105 degrees. At what ambient temp is this, are you implying these are the temps seen at the full 32 to 104F ambient temp DJI rates them at?

When you say "If we run them", does this mean with your rubber shields in place?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT