Jumpy Landings?

Definitely ground effect.

I always have VPS on and if I hold my hover just above the ground it jumps about like a bullfrog. If I come in and hover/move forward slightly and set down, it is silky smooth.

I live in the desert and don't want to risk throwing dirt up in the Phantom.. I always take off from the case and hand catch when I get back. No bobbles or any other issues doing that. Just keep the blades above your head.

I live in the desert and don't want to risk throwing dirt up in the Phantom.. I always take off from the case and hand catch when I get back. No bobbles or any other issues doing that. Just keep the blades above your head.
I too mostly handcatch. Just too much snow/ice/moisture to get on the lens to land evertime in winter here.

I land at a slight angle as I approach the pad never had ground effects do anything.but it could if its a hard surface and you land straight down.
You can practice this in the sim.
Just to add approach from downwind if it's strong

Yep, always catch. I have nearly 200hrs on these now. I always catch, especially when the wind is buffeting. Just make sure you have a green "safe to fly", come to a hover at 2m - DOWNWIND from you & a few m away. Just walk up to it, grab the leg & hold the throttle down until it stops. Foolproof. Having said that, In my engineering business, we have a saying - " Anytime you make something more foolproof, god makes a bigger fool". Some of my customers have proven that, several times.

Though I catch by hand, but I have never seen my P3 suddenly jumping up close to the ground while landing. I land in an open area with grass fields.

Autoland works flawlessly.
I don't land manually often, I ususally hand catch to avoid dirt jumping in my bird.
But if you are going to hand catch too (it's something you get comfortable in very little time) PLEASE WEAR SAFEY GLASSES. I can just imagine what cold happen if one of those rotating blades should meet my eyes...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl