JetBlue close call with Drone

More senseless BS "news" Nothing will come of it. Nothing can. And no one will support the writing of a law based on unconfirmed and unverified "stories".
Actually, we have crazy legislators who do write proposed laws based upon total BS and paranoia. SB 142 was prompted by a legislator claiming a drone flew by her condo balcony during a meeting and was "eavesdropping" on her conversation! Fortunately, it was vetoed, but only because of the way it was written, and not its intent! :eek:

to be technically accurate - the motors cannot be started within a 1.5 Mile radius, then from 1.5 to 5 miles there are altitude limits.
No limitations, if you "tin hat" the GPS on the top of the P3 and fly in full manual mode, to my understanding. Not sure about the altitude limit, unless you can disable the onboard barometer as well. Child's play for anyone not afraid to crack open the shell!:cool:

Actually, we have crazy legislators who do write proposed laws based upon total BS and paranoia. SB 142 was prompted by a legislator claiming a drone flew by her condo balcony during a meeting and was "eavesdropping" on her conversation! Fortunately, it was vetoed, but only because of the way it was written, and not its intent! :eek:
Proposing stupid crap, and passing it are two totally different things. California is one place we all know stupid crap gets passed all the time. But the rest of the world knows better! We all just sit back and laugh at the left coast and the antics as they unravel!

I'm in the West San Fernando Valley. My biggest nemesis is the LAPD ghetto bird. He flies way low around my area. But I've seen many a private plane lower than the prescribed 1,000' AGL as well. Now with the app I will know more definitively.

The app is pretty cool. I work around a mile from Miami International Airport and can see every landing from my office window. If you click on the binoculars on the top right corner you can point at the sky with your phone and see the description for each flight at your sight... Gives you a good idea of altitude from the ground.

Proposing stupid crap, and passing it are two totally different things. California is one place we all know stupid crap gets passed all the time. But the rest of the world knows better! We all just sit back and laugh at the left coast and the antics as they unravel!
Some of us actually "have" to live here! :eek: It can be challenging, living among the unwashed masses!:cool: It will be like Prohibition. It will just turn us all into outlaws with Speakeasies/Hidden Drone Bunkers around every corner! If they can't find the pilot, and they rarely ever do, unless the pilot is stupid,
they can't prosecute anyone! Cheers! :D

The app is pretty cool. I work around a mile from Miami International Airport and can see every landing from my office window. If you click on the binoculars on the top right corner you can point at the sky with your phone and see the description for each flight at your sight... Gives you a good idea of altitude from the ground.
I have the app, and it told me about a commercial airliner flying at 3,000 feet taking off that I could see, but did not show a police helicopter which was flying at 500 feet less than a mile away heading this way, nor did it register any military helicopters that are constantly flying over the freeway very closeby, so not sure how useful it is for the real hazards we face at lower altitudes. It can only show those planes with registered flight plans. If a pilot is flying by visual sight only, and hasn't filed a flight plan, it won't show up. Nor will any other drones in the air that you can't see.

That definitely is a good thing to learn: estimating the altitude of other flying aircraft, based upon eyesight only. It's pretty cool in the app.:cool: They are usually a lot higher than you think, which is reassuring!

Some of us actually "have" to live here! :eek: It can be challenging, living among the unwashed masses!:cool: It will be like Prohibition. It will just turn us all into outlaws with Speakeasies/Hidden Drone Bunkers around every corner! If they can't find the pilot, and they rarely ever do, unless the pilot is stupid,
they can't prosecute anyone! Cheers! :D
Noone HAS to live anywhere! You may have things that you decide are valid reasons to not leave. But everything is a decision.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I have the app, and it told me about a commercial airliner flying at 3,000 feet taking off that I could see, but did not show a police helicopter which was flying at 500 feet less than a mile away heading this way, nor did it register any military helicopters that are constantly flying over the freeway very closeby, so not sure how useful it is for the real hazards we face at lower altitudes. It can only show those planes with registered flight plans. If a pilot is flying by visual sight only, and hasn't filed a flight plan, it won't show up. Nor will any other drones in the air that you can't see.
I've looked at the app too. I live within miles of two major hospitals, the state capitol, and the governors house. And Im a 15 year Blackhawk crew chief. Heli traffic ALL the time!! So I thought it MIGHT be helpful for warnings of incoming flights. But heli traffic is not really documented. So no way to track them. The potential for issues really is between drones and helis I think. And there is no 'tool' to assist anyone beyond a second person for a set of eyes.

I've looked at the app too. I live within miles of two major hospitals, the state capitol, and the governors house. And Im a 15 year Blackhawk crew chief. Heli traffic ALL the time!! So I thought it MIGHT be helpful for warnings of incoming flights. But heli traffic is not really documented. So no way to track them. The potential for issues really is between drones and helis I think. And there is no 'tool' to assist anyone beyond a second person for a set of eyes.
Bummer, eh? Very disappointing, but the app can only track planes flying with flight plans, and police heli's and military heli's apparently don't need no stinkin' flight plans! And yet, they are the most likely ones to fly in "our" airspace.:eek:

Noone HAS to live anywhere! You may have things that you decide are valid reasons to not leave. But everything is a decision.
Obviously, I was being facetious about "needing" to live here! :D
The sunshine tax is oppressive, but the year round flying weather is ideal, unless the Kp-index reaches 6l! (It has several times in the last 2 weeks!)

Bummer, eh? Very disappointing, but the app can only track planes flying with flight plans, and police heli's and military heli's apparently don't need no stinkin' flight plans! And yet, they are the most likely ones to fly in "our" airspace.:eek:
Sorta, but it belonged to them far before we came along.

By the way.. I live about 30 miles from a small airport and I see planes flying over my house all the time that seem like flying too low. Just to be sure, I downloaded an app call FlightRadar24 (Paid-version) and you can spot in real time all the planes in you area with details like distance from you, altitude, speed, etc. I found out that many have passed over my home at an altitude of about 500 to 600 feet. I keep my P3P limited to 400 ft anyway but wow...
Someone mentioned that it only shows flights that file a flight plan. That isn't accurate, it shows aircraft that have a ADS-B transponder which reports the flight data similar to how the P3 reports but they use ground stations all over the place that picks up the data. In some areas it also uses radar and something called multilateration to calculate positions of aircraft that don't have these special transponders.

At this time it is not mandatory for all aircraft but in a couple of years it will be mandatory for most flights but I don't think so for the sports category of light planes. It's quite expensive from what I hear so many are putting it off for now.

Someone mentioned that it only shows flights that file a flight plan. That isn't accurate, it shows aircraft that have a ADS-B transponder which reports the flight data similar to how the P3 reports but they use ground stations all over the place that picks up the data. In some areas it also uses radar and something called multilateration to calculate positions of aircraft that don't have these special transponders.

At this time it is not mandatory for all aircraft but in a couple of years it will be mandatory for most flights but I don't think so for the sports category of light planes. It's quite expensive from what I hear so many are putting it off for now.
That someone was probably me. :cool: Thanks for clearing up the issue. The bigger problem for drone flyers are all the police, news, and military helicopters that don't show up in the aircraft tracking apps. They apparently don't have the ADS-B transponder either, or choose to leave it off. They are also the ones most likely to be flying through our "reserved" airspace, in no predictable path.

I still say it's not easy for a pilot in an aircraft moving at 150 to 300 feet PER SECOND to see an object that small in time to positively identify it. Can you positively identify your Phantom when it's more than 300 feet away or does it just look like a white speck? (not counting the red and green lights) Lets say the UAV closest proximity was 200 feet to the left of the plane...A pilot would have less than one second to see and identify the object as it entered and then exited his 300 foot window of visibility. Very very difficult.

Slower planes like Cessnas maybe. Still not so easy even at those speeds imo.

It could have been a bird or even a balloon a child let go.

The reports should start including an approximation of how close the drone was. Anything more than 250 - 300 away feet would cast serious doubt because you just can't see it. Well, I couldn't. I'm sure a few people could. Anything closer would also cast doubt because of how fast it would come and go.

I've seen a quadcopter of sorts hovering over Tamiami Executive airport while flying a Cherokee at about 90mph. Much slower than 300feet per second!

Sorta, but it belonged to them far before we came along.
True. Just wish they'd let us know where they are, so we can try and stay out of their way. I suppose they would say we should be able to see them, but not all of us are strictly flying VLOS.:cool:

VFR aircraft can fly as low as 500' AGL over non-populated of congested areas, and 1000' AGL above congested areas. If my drone is at 400', and another aircraft passes over at 500 feet, that's a "close call". The FAA requires 500 feet vertical separation between aircraft. Please know the rules before bringing the drone industry to its knees.

VFR aircraft can fly as low as 500' AGL over non-populated of congested areas, and 1000' AGL above congested areas. If my drone is at 400', and another aircraft passes over at 500 feet, that's a "close call". The FAA requires 500 feet vertical separation between aircraft. Please know the rules before bringing the drone industry to its knees.
I only fly over congested areas! :cool:

I sometimes wonder if the people who are fighting drones and working to have strict regulations in place, are the ones who pop in here and encourage others to fly recklessly or in ways certain to get the attention of the public. It would certainly serve their agenda to sway public opinion about how "dangerous" drones can be. And ensure that restrictions will be put in place that could potentially ground all hobbyists. Sad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik