JetBlue close call with Drone

Reaction score
With this type of incidents, the rules for flying drones will get worst everyday. Next firmware will limit you to your backyard if this morons keep flying at airports.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442247421.876657.jpg

By the way.. I live about 30 miles from a small airport and I see planes flying over my house all the time that seem like flying too low. Just to be sure, I downloaded an app call FlightRadar24 (Paid-version) and you can spot in real time all the planes in you area with details like distance from you, altitude, speed, etc. I found out that many have passed over my home at an altitude of about 500 to 600 feet. I keep my P3P limited to 400 ft anyway but wow...

Reactions: snowghost
Even if a quad is spotted 3 feet off the ground, it's always called a "Close Call" by a commercial airliner pilot. The idiot quad pilot shouldn't be there in the first place, thouigh

It's the so called drones described as "looking like a trash can" at 6,000 feet I worry about outside LAX. Every hallucinating pilot is no longer reporting UFO's but drones, and these are making it into official FAA reports of Drone v. Aircraft near misses!:eek:

More senseless BS "news" Nothing will come of it. Nothing can. And no one will support the writing of a law based on unconfirmed and unverified "stories".

So, the pilot saw something while he was "on approach". Could be 20 or 30 miles out, could be 1/2 mile out. I'm sure his location is known but it seems like no one wants to report this. Also, we know DJI's drones won't allow their props to be started within 5 miles of a major airport (this was a Jet Blue jet) so it's not likely it was a DJI product. Could have also been an RC plane or helicopter.

More hysteria. Nothing more.

Reactions: snerd
to be technically accurate - the motors cannot be started within a 1.5 Mile radius, then from 1.5 to 5 miles there are altitude limits.

to be technically accurate - the motors cannot be started within a 1.5 Mile radius, then from 1.5 to 5 miles there are altitude limits.
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about that. I actually saw that warning message once. I was outside the 5 Mike mark but it popped up for some reason. Was something about recommending a 300 foot altitude limit or something like that.

My P2 on 3.06 will fire-up just fine, so will a lot of other drones on 'legacy' firmware as well.

By the way.. I live about 30 miles from a small airport and I see planes flying over my house all the time that seem like flying too low. Just to be sure, I downloaded an app call FlightRadar24 (Paid-version) and you can spot in real time all the planes in you area with details like distance from you, altitude, speed, etc. I found out that many have passed over my home at an altitude of about 500 to 600 feet. I keep my P3P limited to 400 ft anyway but wow...

Just purchased the app. Awesome! Will help me keep track of the LAPD helicoptor amongst other things.

I still say it's not easy for a pilot in an aircraft moving at 150 to 300 feet PER SECOND to see an object that small in time to positively identify it. Can you positively identify your Phantom when it's more than 300 feet away or does it just look like a white speck? (not counting the red and green lights) Lets say the UAV closest proximity was 200 feet to the left of the plane...A pilot would have less than one second to see and identify the object as it entered and then exited his 300 foot window of visibility. Very very difficult.

Slower planes like Cessnas maybe. Still not so easy even at those speeds imo.

It could have been a bird or even a balloon a child let go.

The reports should start including an approximation of how close the drone was. Anything more than 250 - 300 away feet would cast serious doubt because you just can't see it. Well, I couldn't. I'm sure a few people could. Anything closer would also cast doubt because of how fast it would come and go.

agree, i call BS on quite a few of these sightings especially from a plane. a manned helicopter can have a hard enough time seeing a phantom...

I've got quite a few hours of flight time and I can tell you that it is NOT easy to spot objects in flight.
It's hard enough to find FULL SIZE aircraft that ATC reports is within a mile. I can't say I ever remember seeing a bird while in flight at any speed over 90 knots. Well, maybe I did but all I could see were specs.

Not only are you moving too fast and the objects are VERY small, but the visibility out of cockpit windows isn't always ideal with glare and wear on the surface and bug splatters etc.

Down low and slow....meh....maaaaaaybe

AMA’s Response to the FAA’s Drone Sighting Report

Dear Members,

As many of you are aware, there has been a marked increase in sensational media reports of drones allegedly flying too close to manned aircraft. The alarm this has caused was compounded by the FAA’s August 12 press release, “Pilot Reports of Close Calls with Drones Soar in 2015.”

In order to better understand what’s actually occurring, and what role AMA could play to advance safe flying, our organization closely analyzed each of the 764 records in the FAA’s dataset. AMA’s analysis, “A Closer Look at the FAA’s Drone Data ,” reveals a more complex picture of the unmanned aircraft systems (UAS/drone) activity in the United States than the initial headlines would suggest. From military crashes to a UFO sighting, only a fraction of the reports were legitimately reported “close calls” or “near misses.” You may have already seen the report in this morning’s USA Today (“Drone hobbyists find flaws in "close call" reports to FAA from other aircraft”) or on VICE News (“ Drones are the new UFOs”).

While AMA works closely with the FAA, and we continue to consider the agency a partner in promoting model aircraft and consumer drone safety, our report concludes that the FAA could have done a better job of presenting their data in a more factually accurate manner. By using misleading language in its press release, releasing only preliminary reports and not critically analyzing those reports, the FAA’s report only served, at best, to paint a cloudy and less than accurate picture and raises concerns that simply may not be realistic.

Today, AMA distributed a press release to the media with its findings. Additionally, AMA sent a letter to U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and the FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. AMA also sent a letter to members of Congress.

As you read through the report, please feel free to contact us should you have any questions. Also, please make sure to share this report on your Twitter, Facebook and any other social channels.

Dave Mathewson
Executive Director

[emoji767] 2015 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Tel.: (800) 435-9262; Fax.: (765) 289-4248
All rights reserved. Academy of Model Aeronautics The Academy of Model Aeronautics http://www.modelaircraft.org/rss.aspx?feeds=news AMA (@modelaircraft) | Twitter modelaircraft
www.modelaircraft.org

For comments on this communication please email [email protected].

This email was sent by: Academy of Model Aeronautics
5161 E. Memorial Dr. Muncie, IN 47302 USA

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: shipdriver
Thanks for posting that, snerd. I was surprised not only at the lack of validity to a lot of the reports but at the quality control in gathering them. It turned out to be next to useless for any true analysis and all one has to do is actually read the reports to see that. Based on the actual text of the reports, it does seem that reporting drones is a way to report UFOs without the stigma of reporting UFOs. Many of the reports bore the hallmarks of sightings of other manned aircraft mistaken for something else as well, for example the white fixed high wing 'drone' on approach to KPAE that was squawking 1200.

Just purchased the app. Awesome! Will help me keep track of the LAPD helicoptor amongst other things.

Where are you? I am in Palos Verdes. I see both planes and helicopters every day flying along the coastline at way below 400' AGL.

Where are you? I am in Palos Verdes. I see both planes and helicopters every day flying along the coastline at way below 400' AGL.

I'm in the West San Fernando Valley. My biggest nemesis is the LAPD ghetto bird. He flies way low around my area. But I've seen many a private plane lower than the prescribed 1,000' AGL as well. Now with the app I will know more definitively.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.