Jerky video

Reaction score
Just taken my first video with my new phantom 3 4K having previously used a Spark and have found it to be horribly jerky even from the SD card. Could it be because my computer etc. can’t handle 4K ?

Just taken my first video with my new phantom 3 4K having previously used a Spark and have found it to be horribly jerky even from the SD card. Could it be because my computer etc. can’t handle 4K ?
Most likely. 4K requires a lot of fire power. Are you transferring the file to your hard drive first? If it continues to stutter, try a different setting on the camera.

Common problem ... 4K as another says has a high demand on processing and RAM ...

Usually a change of video player / editor will give you a better replay. Depending on what camera I use ... I use VLC for some .. and Media Player on others.
Editing - I have basically three editors :

My main editor is MIcrosoft Live Movie Maker - simple but effective. But it does stutter on high res such as 4K.

My second is a toss-up between Movie Maker 2.62 or NCH Video editor ... both are full frame based editors and can handle high res.

Its also often found that you have a stuttering video file and when saved via the editor - corrects and stutter is gone. The trick then of course is to make sure you save as a different file, leaving original intact. Most editors will downgrade the res when saving ... same as Youtube does.

I know we all like to have 4K capability but it then brings in factors such as low frame rate and high processing power. The better is to reduce resolution - you then get higher frame rate, easier to display and edit without stutter.
I use 1080 at 50fps even though I have a P3P with 4K camera. I then have a video that I can slow / zoom / edit without any reduction to viewer. Note that the human eye works at a fps rate of about 25 - 30 ... so that 4K fps at 30 can lead to seeing flicks when viewing - especially when in turns etc.

Nigel

Similar story here. Took my first video at default settings, loaded it in my editor an iMac 2.5 GHz Intel i5 with 12 GB ram with 512 MB video card and it puked. It runs fine on my dell XP’s 13 which is an i7 @ 1.8 GHz with 16 GB.
The only othe difference is I tried quick time on iMac and VLC on XPS.

Similar story here. Took my first video at default settings, loaded it in my editor an iMac 2.5 GHz Intel i5 with 12 GB ram with 512 MB video card and it puked. It runs fine on my dell XP’s 13 which is an i7 @ 1.8 GHz with 16 GB.
The only othe difference is I tried quick time on iMac and VLC on XPS.
Have you tried VLC on the iMac? I have good results with VLC on the iMAC.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4