jerky GoPro video

Reaction score
I'm just beginning to use a GoPro 3 Black. This evening, after sunset, I made 4 flights with the camera. The second and fourth videos were just fine but the first and third videos were unuseable -- the entire video was quite jerky, almost as if on a very rapid timelapse or as if it is skipping frames.

What really puzzles me is that the light was fading but consistent, with good exposure when the setting sun was behind the camera.

I'm using a Transcend 32 gb card, type 10.

I do have a polarizer on the GP but if that is creating the problem, why would it not affect all of the videos?

GearLoose said:
I'm just beginning to use a GoPro 3 Black. This evening, after sunset, I made 4 flights with the camera. The second and fourth videos were just fine but the first and third videos were unuseable -- the entire video was quite jerky, almost as if on a very rapid timelapse or as if it is skipping frames.

What really puzzles me is that the light was fading but consistent, with good exposure when the setting sun was behind the camera.

I do have a polarizer on the GP but if that is creating the problem, why would it not affect all of the videos?

Download VLC Media Player, it's free. Due to the high quality video that the GoPro/HERO 3 produces, some computers cannot handle the high quality video so the videos looks very jerky. Give that a try. I have also found that I need to convert the video to something other than the raw video that comes from the GoPro/HERO 3 for it to be easier to review on my computer. Good Luck!

Most likely a playback issue so try VLC player as Fangs mentioned this is the best player for raw gopro MP4 files, also if you convert the videos to cineform AVI using the free GoPro cineform studio the files will likely play fine in your media player. The ironic thing is that once converted to cineform VLC player will no longer playback the AVI files but your media player will play these files much better. Especially if your shooting in protune its best to convert to cineform files and do your grading in there then use the cineform file in your editing program.

These files are a little larger but will make working with protune files a breeze in most decent editing programs, you also get the benefit of having non destructive metadata via the cineform app to make changes to the image settings at any time even after you have started working with the file elsewhere. This will do you basic image grading settings with no need to render them and also let you undo or start from scratch again with no loss in quality.

GearLoose said:

Try another video player to see your video whether good or not. If you it is normal, you can try to convert this video to another format.
http://www.firecoresoft.com/video-converter-mac.html

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl