Jell-O™?

M

Melvoid

Hi all,

After about a 4-month break over winter, I took the 'copter out recently and took mostly stills. In the few videos I took, I noticed some pretty nasty Jello-O, which I've never seen before.

• Today, I powered it up again. Didn't start the motors, and did about 40 seconds of video with the 'copter just sitting on the driveway. No Jell-O.

• Then, I physically picked it up and walked around with it and took another 40 seconds. No problem.

• Finally, I started the motors and hovered, taking more video. Noticed a very little bit of vibration, but because the batteries were at about 50% from the last flight, they pooped out pretty quickly and it landed itself.

So, I'm charging them up now and going to try again, but in the meantime, if I DO get more Jell-O, any thoughts on why?
Could the props be out of balance? I tilted the 'copter body and the camera seemed to compensate fine, so I don't think that's the problem.
Also, the Jell-O wasn't constant. It would come and go.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

ms

I used to get jello a lot when I had my P3 because I didn’t understand when shooting video shutter speed needs to be twice as fast as frame rate. 30 FPS /shutter1/60 or 60fps /1/120. So when you shoot on auto your shutter may go faster in brighter light like to compensate for the exposure. That when ND filters help to let you slow the shutter down. When I fly my P4p I can set shutter priority to 1/120 and I set frame rate to 60fps. No more jello. I didn’t know if you knew this but I thought I throw it out there.

Blue sky’s

I also encountered the problem when I tried to put prop guards on the P4P. They vibrated enough to affect the video. And yes, props out of balance will definitely do that, but I've never found the OEM props to be out of balance enough to cause a problem.

I did not know about the shutter speed and frame rate. I will check that. I DID, however, notice when it was hovering that the body of the 'copter would shake from time to time, and that seemed like a little more than the camera/gimbal could compensate for. But I will check. Last time I flew, it was considerably less than that first flight I mentioned.

Thanks

I also encountered the problem when I tried to put prop guards on the P4P. They vibrated enough to affect the video. And yes, props out of balance will definitely do that, but I've never found the OEM props to be out of balance enough to cause a problem.
Props LOOK fine. They were closed in the case for a few months, but no undue pressure on one making it bend or anything like that. When spinning, they're steady, so ...

Hi all,

After about a 4-month break over winter, I took the 'copter out recently and took mostly stills. In the few videos I took, I noticed some pretty nasty Jello-O, which I've never seen before.

• Today, I powered it up again. Didn't start the motors, and did about 40 seconds of video with the 'copter just sitting on the driveway. No Jell-O.

• Then, I physically picked it up and walked around with it and took another 40 seconds. No problem.

• Finally, I started the motors and hovered, taking more video. Noticed a very little bit of vibration, but because the batteries were at about 50% from the last flight, they pooped out pretty quickly and it landed itself.

So, I'm charging them up now and going to try again, but in the meantime, if I DO get more Jell-O, any thoughts on why?
Could the props be out of balance? I tilted the 'copter body and the camera seemed to compensate fine, so I don't think that's the problem.
Also, the Jell-O wasn't constant. It would come and go.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

ms
A bit of an upgrade. I noticed more of that shaking when I'm moving sideways. When I'm moving forward, it seems to be way less. Still photos are no problem. I had two new props, so I replaced the worst-looking ones with new. That may have been they difference with less shaking, but still not sure. I should probably get two more new ones and see if that makes a difference. I suppose a slight bend in one could cause problems.

Still open for any suggestions.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31