Is Your Insurance Company Monitoring Your Flights?

Reaction score
Hi,

Some drone insurance companies record and monitor your flights. Do you know if your flights are being monitored?

There are potential benefits to it like cheaper insurance.

If you download the app on your phone or they can partner with the drone software.

Hi,

Some drone insurance companies record and monitor your flights. Do you know if your flights are being monitored?

There are potential benefits to it like cheaper insurance.

Please elaborate.

How it’s done (specifically)?

Which underwriters, etc.?

Or just ‘heard’ such.

Look at Skywatch.ai. Their app monitors your drone and they are also integrated in with other drone software. I didn't say they are spying on you but you may want to know in advance if your insurer is able to monitor where you are flying. It may also be a default which you can switch off. If you want to know more look on YouTube, there are videos of them talking about it trade conferences.

"The app"? What app? How would the app communicate with anything else?

I'm guessing that you have absolutely no proof of any confirmation that this is happening.
That is a bit savage my friend. The information is freely available online and on YouTube videos. Just because you don't know something don't be obnoxious towards other people.

Let's take this down a notch (or two) and not make it personal. We can agree and debate without being personal.

Reactions: Eddie258
That is a bit savage my friend. The information is freely available online and on YouTube videos. Just because you don't know something don't be obnoxious towards other people.

Then it should not be difficult for you to provide a link.

Edit:
Missed your post above.

So you are saying if you use an app to purchase insurance, the DJI Go app will send its data to that app? Of that I don't see any indication of this.

If someone uses an insurance app that specifically states that it records this data, than yes... that is certainly possible. But there is no surprise there. It's not using the DJI app for this data.

Last edited:
Then it should not be difficult for you to provide a link.

Edit:
Missed your post above.

So you are saying if you use an app to purchase insurance, the DJI Go app will send its data to that app? Of that I don't see any indication of this.

If someone uses an insurance app that specifically states that it records this data, than yes... that is certainly possible. But there is no surprise there. It's not using the DJI app for this data.

SkyWatch are currently working with DroneDeploy, they have already integrated with a range of other drone softwares. That's it.

Getting the information from the website is as awkward as getting information from the OP.
But after reading all over their website, it looks like the company arranges insurance and provides a separate flying app that can be used instead of DJI Go.
Do I have to do the actual flying with the SkyWatch app to be covered?
Product - SkyWatch.AI Mobile App

Hi, like I said originally. There could be a range of benefits to it but other insurance companies may not make you aware that your flight is being recorded.

Getting the information from the website is as awkward as getting information from the OP.
But after reading all over their website, it looks like the company arranges insurance and provides a separate flying app that can be used instead of DJI Go.
Do I have to do the actual flying with the SkyWatch app to be covered?
Product - SkyWatch.AI Mobile App

Understood. There is no indication that the Go app transfers any information. If someone uses an app that specifically states that it does this... I don't think it is any big secret. Nor does it create any reason to think other apps, such as the Go app do this.

If nothing else, the subject and initial post were _very_ confusing.

Hi, like I said originally. There could be a range of benefits to it but other insurance companies may not make you aware that your flight is being recorded.
The other companies wouldn't be advising you of that because, they aren't monitoring your flights.
And that's because they have no way to monitor your flight.

Hi all,

Couple of highlights about flight-data sharing.
- Indeed SkyWatch.AI has an integrated DJI compatible flight module. The flight module is based on DJI's SDK.
- Using the flight module (or not) won't affect your coverage at any point. You can set the insurance and fly with any other controller or app and you'll be 100% covered.
- The flight-data shared through the app is used to determine the pilot's Safety Score.
- The flight-data is not shared with any 3rd party (FAA for example) with the exception of AirMap (upon user request) for the purposes of LAANC access.

Feel free to ask me anything and I'd be happy to reply.

I've got this.

Attachments

• c3062d162789e95374e0dd68f62c105f.jpg
    c3062d162789e95374e0dd68f62c105f.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 327
The other companies wouldn't be advising you of that because, they aren't monitoring your flights.
And that's because they have no way to monitor your flight.

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean other insurance companies or the insurance companies you have purchased the insurance from?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31