Is there ever going to be a Phantom 5?

RPP

Reaction score
Website
www.parrikar.com
Thinking aloud here.

I have been on the P4 v2 for over 3 years now. Great bird, but I would love an upgrade to the camera. Higher MP, a larger sensor, and a zoom would be my wishlist. The rest of the structure can remain the same.

I have been on the P4 v2 for over 3 years now. Great bird, but I would love an upgrade to the camera. Higher MP, a larger sensor, and a zoom would be my wishlist. The rest of the structure can remain the same.
It would be a very big surprise if DJI revive the Phantom series.
It's almost 5 years since the P4 pro launched and they seem to have lost interest in drones of this class.
Here is the nearest thing to a Phantom 5 you'll see:
It's everything DJI should have released a couple of years ago.
Unless DJI come up with a big surprise, I'll be going that way, when they get around to releasing it and selling outside the USA.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and RPP
It's almost 5 years since the P4 pro launched and they seem to have lost interest in drones of this class.
Unless DJI come up with a big surprise, I'll be going that way, when they get around to releasing it and selling outside the USA.

Thanks. I see that they aren't shipping yet. Any idea on the price?

Added: Their website lists it at $2499

More: While the sensor is larger than P4, it is only 12.4 MP. That's a dealbreaker for me. Details at this link -

Last edited:
Reactions: jephoto
Thanks. I see that they aren't shipping yet. Any idea on the price?
Added: Their website lists it at $2499
No .. that's their original model (nowhere near as good).
Here's the price for the new model:
Still a bargain compared to an Inspire. and there's nothing else to compete in this class.

More: While the sensor is larger than P4, it is only 12.4 MP. That's a dealbreaker for me.
They are releasing the 12MP video camera first and they tell me that the 20MP version is being worked on for release later this year.
I've been waiting for this since they showed it at CES in January 2020.
Covid meant that their plans for release last year fell through.
Their planned release earlier this year is delayed, but it should be showing up soon.
However they tell me they won't sell outside the USA until late in the year.

Yep, that should have been the Phantom 5. I can see you with that drone doing your ship pictures. Might bring more sells? I'd love to see one of your pictures with it. You are probably building up a reputation with your work over the years?

Reactions: Meta4
Yep, that should have been the Phantom 5. I can see you with that drone doing your ship pictures. Might bring more sells? I'd love to see one of your pictures with it. You are probably building up a reputation with your work over the years?
The larger sensor would be good, but the ability to use different lenses is what I'm hanging out for.
There are even a couple of zoom lenses that will work with it.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The Xdynamics looks like a beautiful machine. I like everything I see about it with the exception of the 12MP sensor. With a sensor size indicated to be larger than the Phantom 4 Pro sensor which has 20MP, you'd think they would be able to have at least 24MP. If that were the case, I'd probably have one ordered right now.

The Xdynamics looks like a beautiful machine. I like everything I see about it with the exception of the 12MP sensor. With a sensor size indicated to be larger than the Phantom 4 Pro sensor which has 20MP, you'd think they would be able to have at least 24MP. If that were the case, I'd probably have one ordered right now.
The 12MP sensor is optimised for video and the word is that a 20MP version is in development.
Both will have much larger pixels than the Phantom's camera and that brings advantages for image quality.

Since I'm a photographer and not too interested in video, this one is certainly not for me. No rumors of a P5, but perhaps a Mavic 3 Pro w/40-50 mpxl sensor? That'll do.

Hmmm. I saw $3700 for pre-orders on web site rather than $2500 mentioned above. Will have to research it further. Specs read nice. Liking what I see, but will wait for some user experience posts.

They had better ship the Evolve 2 soon otherwise the feature set will be obsolete. the Micro 4/3 camera and lack of geofencing will be really the only standout features and the upcoming Mavic 3 is rumored to have a Micro 4/3 camera as well.

Mavic 3 will have a higher megapixel count, longer flight time, collision sensors, folding design, and a lower price.

As for a Phantom 5.... I don't think we will see the classic format again.... if the Phantom name reappears and I wouldn't rule that out, it will be a radically new design.

No .. that's their original model (nowhere near as good).
Here's the price for the new model:
Still a bargain compared to an Inspire. and there's nothing else to compete in this class.

They are releasing the 12MP video camera first and they tell me that the 20MP version is being worked on for release later this year.
I've been waiting for this since they showed it at CES in January 2020.
Covid meant that their plans for release last year fell through.
Their planned release earlier this year is delayed, but it should be showing up soon.
However they tell me they won't sell outside the USA until late in the year.
Not the best marketing technique in my opinion. Why would someone buy a 12MP now knowing that they will be coming out with a 20MP later this year? I would certainly wait. Knowing that the 20MP will be more expensive, the 12MP will probably go "on sale" to clear out the inventory when the 20MP is released.

Not the best marketing technique in my opinion. Why would someone buy a 12MP now knowing that they will be coming out with a 20MP later this year? I would certainly wait. Knowing that the 20MP will be more expensive, the 12MP will probably go "on sale" to clear out the inventory when the 20MP is released.
I don't think it's a "marketing technique".
They are a small company and have had a big setback with Covid and couldn't develop two cameras at once.
They've just concentrated on the 12MP camera first, probably as they've identified that there are more buyers interested in video.
Most of those buyers are going to want the 12MP version.
I shoot stills so I'd be waiting for the 20MP camera, but would like to see how good the 12MP stills are too.
I haven't heard anything to suggest that camera would be more expensive.

I'm just concerned about how long it's going to take to be released and whether there will be more delays.
I was ready to buy it a year ago.

ps The cameras are interchangeable.

Autel did the same with their EVO 2, releasing the inferior 8K 1/2” 12MP sensor first, and then their 1” 6K 20MP sensor camera later on. My reaction is the same as yours. Let them work the flight bugs out with the first iteration, and then get the superior camera version when it finally comes out. Just picked up an EVO 2 Pro, now that it is a mature aircraft, and found the Pro version at a $400 discount off MSRP. It's no 4/3 sensor, but the 40 minute flight time, and now 8 mile range with the new 2000 nit 8” Autel Smart Controller, make a compelling package without GEO! They also finally just added an automated 360° pano feature.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Yeah, I'm thinking efforts and investments byt DJI will be spent on the Mavic line and brining as much of the phantom features as feasibly possible for the pricepoint they currently offer - while maintaining size and portability features the Mavic is known for. I'm still more than happy with my P4P. I'm not sure a phantom 5 would happen, but a DJI drone with interchangeable props, (possibly even motors) and interchangeable cameras that gives the owner an extremely versatile setup would be awesome....just an absolute nightmare and headache for firmware updates or tech support for entry level people who don't know what they are doing or how to get a certain setup working!

RoOSTA

This EVO 2 is more likely the Inspire class than the Phantom class - except for the cam. which is really downgrade for such an air machine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic