is there a way to start a waypoint mission from Maryland that takes place (starts and ends) in New York state?

Reaction score
I know the mission will continue without connectivity to my controller, but beyond that, does the controller have to be there to start/end it? thanks

No offense, but that sounds like a terrorist question.

Ha.. i actually thought of the terrorist thing after i posted it.. no, i am just trying to find a way for upper management to check on local project management progress at a construction site far away vs having to go there, or teach the local PMs how to fly/record from drones.
Rootman, the drone would be local at the site, but the control would be in Maryland.

Probably possible, but illegal.. thought i'd ask.. thanks

Very much outside of the regulations but it's not impossible. There are some platforms out there that can "remotely" Remote Control a sUAS but they are very specific and very expensive platforms. We tested one about 2 months ago that was pretty impressive but the cost of the "system" was higher than my last automobile.

Keep in mind that you'll be flying without any LOS which is a limiting factor currently.

... or teach the local PMs how to fly/record from drones.
Rootman, the drone would be local at the site, but the control would be in Maryland.
Probably possible, but illegal.. thought i'd ask.. thanks

If you going to teach others how to fly and record from drones it is very peculiar that you don't know that something you are asking about is impossible to do with an UAV. At least not with drones which this forum is dealing with.

Andy9, Interesting comment , I thought questions and information sharing was one of the purposes of this forum... I have learned many things on UAV forums which were or were not possible. In fact, BIGAl07 mentioned a solution above, the problem is legality.

Andy9, Interesting comment , I thought questions and information sharing was one of the purposes of this forum... I have learned many things on UAV forums which were or were not possible. In fact, BIGAl07 mentioned a solution above, the problem is legality.

Partially you're right. But the problem is not just legality, making such project to work it would need a lot of technology (probably military) too.

Partially you're right. But the problem is not just legality, making such project to work it would need a lot of technology (probably military) too.

The Flight Station we tested from was roughly $75K not including the vehicle we were sitting in or the actual sUAS's we were flying. It wasn't Military but it also wasn't off-the-shelf components either. It's designed for testing Nuclear Sites.

Heck I’ll fly it, love to travel and fly. Day rate of $1900+ editing + expenses. I have plenty of batteries and chargers. Happy to do it. Lol
Why couldn’t you do litchi or similar, have one crew fly one day, have the next crew start where they left off and go from there. Doesn’t have to be a continuous flight. If ya need help training. We are certified flight instructors.
BTW. Great question. Nothing changes unless people think BIGGER.

Reactions: Capt KO
Heck I’ll fly it, love to travel and fly. Day rate of $1900+ editing + expenses. I have plenty of batteries and chargers. Happy to do it. Lol
Why couldn’t you do litchi or similar, have one crew fly one day, have the next crew start where they left off and go from there. Doesn’t have to be a continuous flight. If ya need help training. We are certified flight instructors.
BTW. Great question. Nothing changes unless people think BIGGER.
Great suggestion. The operator would only have to know very basic pre-flight operation. And know how to start the mission. Sounds like the simplest solution. And cheap

I know the mission will continue without connectivity to my controller, but beyond that, does the controller have to be there to start/end it? thanks

Am I missing something?
This seems a bizarre thread.
If you are asking about DJI drones, of course you have to have the controller on site to be able to start the drone and the mission.
Add to that the rather limited battery life and it's hard to see why the question was even asked.

Meta4, i think some of the first part of this post got cut off. Anyway, we don't know what we don't know which is why I asked this question. Litchi works with the DJI platform, so I didn't know if someone out there had a method to control a controller from hundreds of miles away (via cell phone or ?). The conversation gave me some great ideas from people that are much more knowledgeable than me in this area and I think I have my solution. With respect to the battery, the drone will only fly locally for about 15 minutes per run. Legal issues were also brought up for me to consider.

I think Drippintx had the best comment with respect to a question in your post "BTW. Great question. Nothing changes unless people think BIGGER. "

I think this thread is over.. again.. thanks all. Bill

Sounds like a total FAA violation of the VLOS quideline. Having remote “spotters” that far away seems well beyond any expectation of the FAA rule. Sounds like getting the pilot to the scene with a car or airplane would be a much better approach.

Reactions: thaixeon76
If your goal is to do site inspection wouldn't you need LOS to get close enough for detail pictures, I did a roof inspection with rotted siding on my house and I had to get within about a foot to be able to make out the cracks/gap where the foundation twisted the house framing and push the siding against the roof. Have you used litchi? Even if you get to do a good calibration, it's still not accurate enough for"construction" terrains/debris. I'd suggest going in the wooded hills and test this I did litchi waypoint at local park and had to restart it there for times and still the elevation was off. But if you just wanted to know if long range fpv was possible try YouTube. There's plenty of long range options.

Can't you just use flight planning software and train someone onsite to deploy the drone, fly the mission and then transfer data back home via some manual process?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic