Is there a way to input video to a laptop or tablet?

Reaction score
I am planning to set up my own UAV service carrying out roof and structural inspections with a Phantom 4 Pro. I am looking at replacing the module on the bottom of my remote with one that has HDMI output capability. I am aware that I can provide HDMI video output to a TV, but I have seen nothing mentioned for a laptop or tablet. I do know that I can live stream video to computers and tablets via YouTube and Facebook, but that is about it. I would like to provide a wired video output to a laptop or tablet using something like an HDMI/USB adapter cable so that my clients can see the same video feed that my UAV is seeing without having them look over my shoulder at the tablet screen mounted on the remote while I am flying. Is there a way to input video to a separate laptop or tablet from the remote using a cable or something like the Roku, Chromecast, or Amazon Fire TV USB sticks?

I am planning to set up my own UAV service carrying out roof and structural inspections with a Phantom 4 Pro. I am looking at replacing the module on the bottom of my remote with one that has HDMI output capability. I am aware that I can provide HDMI video output to a TV, but I have seen nothing mentioned for a laptop or tablet. I do know that I can live stream video to computers and tablets via YouTube and Facebook, but that is about it. I would like to provide a wired video output to a laptop or tablet using something like an HDMI/USB adapter cable so that my clients can see the same video feed that my UAV is seeing without having them look over my shoulder at the tablet screen mounted on the remote while I am flying. Is there a way to input video to a separate laptop or tablet from the remote using a cable or something like the Roku, Chromecast, or Amazon Fire TV USB sticks?

I have not done anything in this way, but there may actually an app or two that will let someone else watch on a separate device.

The only laptop I know that has hdmi input is dell alianware M17,18 and they are over 2 grand. Another option would be to get Headplay goggles, they have a 7 inch high res screen, they look goofy but they are light and the image is very immersive ( I have 2 sets). Another option would be to get a RV tv that is AC/DC with a hdmi input. under 150 bucks. I use a hdmi splitter booster with one input and 4 outputs to use both sets of goggles.

That monitor is not battery powered. Since there's no NIT rating it's not going to be very bright for outdoor use, likely 400nit, standard for cheap PC monitors. Pretty cheap though, its just not useful for most drone applications.
If it's only around 400 nit it would be NFG for outside. It does have a 12v DC power plug though. My choice would be the headplays as they could also be used just to fly with friends .

I too am looking for this type of setup. I have several threads like this out there with no replies. I hope somebody out there can answer your question.

I too am looking for this type of setup. I have several threads like this out there with no replies. I hope somebody out there can answer your question.
Can you be more specific? What are you going to use it for? Showing customers a live feed while you fly in the field? If yes, the above mentioned outdoor monitor with HDMI input should suffice, or is $350 too much money to support this need?

Litchi VUE... you’ll have to setup a WiFi router (I assume it doesn’t actually need internet access) but hand them a tablet and tell them to stand “over there”.

Litchi VUE... you’ll have to setup a WiFi router (I assume it doesn’t actually need internet access) but hand them a tablet and tell them to stand “over there”.
It sounds like you've never done this in the field. How do you know it works? How would you setup a router in the field with no 120VAC Pwr?

As a matter of fact, I have... it isn’t rocket science. Getting power in the field isn’t a magical feat there buddy. A simple inverter plugged into you cigarette lighter will do the trick. Think out of the box... setup a cheap WiFi router and do your thing. Litchi VUE works so so, but if you’re looking at an economical way to get them off your back, there you have it.

As a matter of fact, I have... it isn’t rocket science. Getting power in the field isn’t a magical feat there buddy. A simple inverter plugged into you cigarette lighter will do the trick. Think out of the box... setup a cheap WiFi router and do your thing. Litchi VUE works so so, but if you’re looking at an economical way to get them off your back, there you have it.
OK, you need to have your car nearby. When you used the word "assume", that implied you hadn't done this before.
Seems like a lot of hassle setting up a router in a car with an inverter, but if someone's desperate it may suffice.
I personally prefer an HDMI cable to a 7" daylight readable monitor, seems way more reliable and better quality for customers. I can't have marginal solutions that may or may not work in the field, and I'm usually not near my car when flying.

Well. Ok then. A battery operated (since the problem was the power in the first place) 7 inch monitor ($350 on up I guess) an hdmi cable strung across the yard ($20-50) may be a decent solution for you. But for the $5 that litchi VUE will cost me, I bet I can set mine up quicker than you can yours. And I have no wires, no hassle and my clients can stand on their porch while I do my thing. All I’m saying is, Installing a permanent wireless point in your car isn’t hard or even time consuming. If this is his business... then it’s worth the initial effort. In the open, I’d say he can get 100-300 foot in range with the WiFi. I do this with my Apple products when camping in my trailer all the time.

Do a google search for “field monitor with DVR.” You will find many have wireless and battery built in and a super bright screen. We use these for professional photography and videography.

You can easily view them in the daylight and some even have a night mode.

Regards,

Bob

Try OBS Studio on both the device and a laptop or PC

It needs to have HDMI in, which most laptops lack. One product to consider is the flysight hd900. It absolutely lags when you run dji go (4), but it works legit when it's plugged in via HDMI. It's a little on the heavy side if you're looking to mount it directly on your controller. The finish on the screen is a little reflective btw, so conisder that before actually getting it. I'd still go with a similar but smaller HDMI screen. The only pro the tablet has is that it is portable.

I used thermoplastic to custom mold the flysight with an iphone 6 on the RC: dual screen setup.

AverMedia makes a product that converts HDMI in to USB 3.0 out. Called the ExtremeCap U3, it can capture up to 60 fps 1080p on a fast laptop or tablet. They market it among their gaming products. They make a similarly named product that has UVC in the name. I have not used that one. The ExtremeCap U3 includes software to capture video, including up to raw output. It is powered by the USB port. I use it with a Nikon camera HDMI output. So should work with a Phantom HDMI port. But recommend testing it. An external monitor would be easier to manage in the field. The converter though does offer flexibility, can connect to Windows or Macintosh OS. I don't think it time codes in 29.97 time frame (with dropped frame for NTSC), but in 30 fps. But that might not matter if it is just for monitoring or for computer use.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20