Is the Crystalsky worth it?

Reaction score
I have a 7.85 High brightness CS ordered through B&H Photo. I'm not 100% positive when it will ship. I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos related to the Crystalsky.

My main question for those that have one ---- Is it worth it? I can get a new ipad pro for around the same price. Are there any major downfalls of the CS? I do use Litchi, but on the rare occassion that I was Litchi, I can just use my phone.

I have a 7.85 High brightness CS ordered through B&H Photo. I'm not 100% positive when it will ship. I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos related to the Crystalsky.

My main question for those that have one ---- Is it worth it? I can get a new ipad pro for around the same price. Are there any major downfalls of the CS? I do use Litchi, but on the rare occassion that I was Litchi, I can just use my phone.

I have the 5.5 and it's good. I also have an iPad, iPad mini and iPhone 7+.

I like the fact it's locked down. I can see the screen when flying. I have also the osmo bracket and I have a third party bracket for the as yet to purchase Mavic.

So one screen, three brackets. It's seamless to swap them between devices. Cables are tidy. It works. It's sturdy and has proven to work in extreme heat.
It doesn't beep with notifications whilst I'm flying.

I like it. I don't think the larger version would work for me as well as the smaller one. For flying only then I'd have got the larger screen but for my use with the osmo pro and Mavic and P4P I am very pleased with it.

I like the fact it's locked down. I can see the screen when flying. I have also the osmo bracket and I have a third party bracket for the as yet to purchase Mavic.

So one screen, three brackets. It's seamless to swap them between devices. Cables are tidy. It works. It's sturdy and has proven to work in extreme heat.

I like it. I don't think the larger version would work for me as well as the smaller one. For flying only then I'd have got the larger screen but for my use with the osmo pro and Mavic and P4P I am very pleased with it.

Thanks! I do agree with the size for what you're using it for. Selling my Mavic, so only P4P for me.

Is it considerably brighter than your iOS devices?

Thanks! I do agree with the size for what you're using it for. Selling my Mavic, so only P4P for me.

Is it considerably brighter than your iOS devices?

Yes. It's night and day. Literally.

Of course you could wait until Apple announce the next iPhone in a few weeks...

My spin is that if I'm flying I want the locked system.

There's also been talk that DJI are announcing a dongle to allow input via HDMI and this would be an amazing addition for people who will be able to use the screen professionally. A tablet based screen that bright attached to a DSLR would be a godsend.

Also DJI Ronin users will have this integrated into their gimbal and will be a very welcome accessory. Especially for daylight shooting.

that would be great. Would definitely love a screen like this for shooting.

Well guess I'll play the waiting game now and hope they ship soon. Due for an upgrade iphone in september too ;)

that would be great. Would definitely love a screen like this for shooting.

Well guess I'll play the waiting game now and hope they ship soon. Due for an upgrade iphone in september too ;)

If you think how much a 5.5 or 7.8 inch HD field monitor would cost and lots don't go as bright and are JUST a monitor it does have a lot of potential to use the CS as a screen or even a client monitor. You could also record a feed onto the SD cards and use those as a proxy edit or even a backup to the main camera recorder.
A couple of apps could offer waveform and vector-scopes and this would be absolute killer.

Imagine a 2000nit display out in the field with a couple of apps, expandable recording ability and SDI/HDMI in.

If you think how much a 5.5 or 7.8 inch HD field monitor would cost and lots don't go as bright and are JUST a monitor it does have a lot of potential to use the CS as a screen or even a client monitor. You could also record a feed onto the SD cards and use those as a proxy edit or even a backup to the main camera recorder.
A couple of apps could offer waveform and vector-scopes and this would be absolute killer.

Imagine a 2000nit display out in the field with a couple of apps, expandable recording ability and SDI/HDMI in.
I have a question regarding the two sd cards on the CS are they just back-ups for the one in the copter , one for stills the other for video ? I'm not understanding the reason for three cards total ?

Reactions: jrstaff
I have a question regarding the two sd cards on the CS are they just back-ups for the one in the copter , one for stills the other for video ? I'm not understanding the reason for three cards total ?

Nothing to do with what's in the drone.

At the moment they are just expandable memory for the CS. They are seen as SD1 and SD2.

You can:

Put the SD card from the drone into the CS and view the footage or copy it to the other card.

Copy data like the 720p files that DJI go records in flight to them and then move them to somewhere else.

I think the future firmwares will allow recording to the slots rather than only the internal memory via DJI go. The recording on the drone will still be on the slot on the drone.

Nothing to do with what's in the drone.

At the moment they are just expandable memory for the CS. They are seen as SD1 and SD2.

You can:

Put the SD card from the drone into the CS and view the footage or copy it to the other card.

Copy data like the 720p files that DJI go records in flight to them and then move them to somewhere else.

I think the future firmwares will allow recording to the slots rather than only the internal memory via DJI go. The recording on the drone will still be on the slot on the drone.

Oh ok now it more sense it'll be an easy way to edit also in the app

Where did you get your Osmo bracket from, not seen it anywhere?

Managed to run my Crystal sky for a short while yesterday without the battery! Forgot to put the onboard one on and it worked despite showing 0%.

I knew it had a battery internally but didn't know it would power the monitor!

Where did you get your Osmo bracket from, not seen it anywhere?

Managed to run my Crystal sky for a short while yesterday without the battery! Forgot to put the onboard one on and it worked despite showing 0%.

I knew it had a battery internally but didn't know it would power the monitor!

I ordered the bracket from DJI.

How did you connect the screen? On the phantom it's powered via the RC if you use the USB-C. Does the Osmo handle have enough power to get the screen up? If it does I'd imagine the battery life would deplete pretty fast on the Osmo.

AFAIK the internal battery is just for keeping the settings on the CS and not powering it.

Ah, that's maybe what happened. I just assumed the internal battery was doing its thing.

I was actually running it on my inspire RC.

The osmo mount was showing pre order last time I checked, although I'm in the UK.

Ah, that's maybe what happened. I just assumed the internal battery was doing its thing.

I was actually running it on my inspire RC.

The osmo mount was showing pre order last time I checked, although I'm in the UK.

I ordered from the uk. Annoyingly had to pay the 10 quid delivery fee so I bought a bunch of stuff to at least make it worth it.

From DJI?

Do any one of you's regret buying the 1000 nit display and not waiting for the release of the 2000 nit,I'd hate to buy it and find a brighter display is still needed..

Not really as this does the job now. I've been sick of crashing tablets and phones.

Not really as this does the job now. I've been sick of crashing tablets and phones.

Thank you , "Not really " when there's $600 on the line means " yeah I regret it " to me , I waited this long I can wait a little longer and for $250 more to get double the brightness seems like a deal ☹️☹️ I'm just tired of the sunshade and even with that it's hard to fly during the day if there's no shade around..

How can I regret it? It's exactly what I wanted. When the brighter monitor comes out I may purchase that too. It's not either or.

After all, it works with my osmo too.

Last edited:
How can I regret it? It's exactly what I wanted. When the brighter monitor comes out I may purchase that to. It's not either or.

After all, it works with my osmo too.
Sorry for the misunderstanding I meant I might regret it ,not you. For me its an either or ,I'm not trying to buy two I'm guessing within the next couple months they'll be released.

Cool I understand.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20